Smyths Toys Superstores Employee Reviews

friendly young people to work with
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines, County Dublin20 July 2019
Smyth´s Toys filled my need for a first temporary job having arrived in Ireland. It was a 4 months contract that I had that allowed me to pay my bills and to stand up and look for better opportunities, which I did.
Pros
close location to home
Cons
Uneasy adaptation start
Awful place
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Galway31 May 2019
Horrible company to work for. Bullying management and senior management. Crazy staff rotation. They don't care about long term members at all. No work/life balance whatsoever, you gonna be rang on your day off or you'll be expected to come in and drop all your plans. The job itself isn't bad at all, you can gain many skills like merchandising - only if their work ethic was better and they would treat employees with respect, not like another number. Store managers usually do nothing bar spending the day in the office, but they will expect everyone else to work on highest possible speed. Noone sticks to company policy either, why having it then at all? Won't even mention the hours, managers are doing average of 50h/week and not even getting paid for overtime. I would recommend it for young people as temporary job until they find something better.
Pros
Company invests in trainings eg. Customer service, first aid, forklift, departament trainings
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance, pressure, unfairness, bullying
productive and enjoyable workplace
Labour & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fonthill Retail Park, County Dublin1 February 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working here as it was a place that i spent a lot of my time in as a kid growing up. The staff were really welcoming and friendly. I learned a lot about safety management and customer care. It was my first job working in retail so everything was new to me. The shop is mainly directed towards children so i had to make sure they were in a safe and fun environment. the hardest part of the job was trying to remember what isle everything was on and helping customers to find what they were looking for as i was new and didn't know the shop layout yet. Most enjoyable part of the job was when i was able to help customers acquire what they were looking for without any complications or problems.
Pros
We got paid time and a third on Sundays.
Cons
Extremely busy days coming up to Christmas.
Good enviornment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clondalkin, County Dublin29 January 2019
Good management, good place to work, fast pace, giving exceptional customer service and being part of the team, enjoyment to interact with customers, very helpful and friendly staff
Depressing
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fonthill Retail Park, County Dublin28 November 2018
While most staff members where friendly, I recieved an unfriendly welcome to the team where I was expected to know how everything worked immediately. The job is repetitive and and managment were at times extremely cold. Despite this some staff members are nice, the job is relatively simple and pay is not too bad.
Pros
Staff discount, Christmas bonus
Cons
Depressing environment
Productive and Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 November 2018
great leadership skills, learned to deal with customers effectively. Great environment, co workers were very supportive. Fun place to work in. completely new experience
Bad management, poor benefits, bad hours.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blanchardstown, County Dublin17 September 2018
0 respect for the employees, turnover rate high, not rewarding, management is just terrible, only viable to work here as a part time student otherwise it's not feasible.
Productive,Fun and Laidback
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin14 May 2018
It was a great place to work.A normal workday would be fast paced and quite busy which required you to be organised,patient and have good customer services skills.You are required to learn every specification of all toys and be able to solve most problems put forward to you.
Cons
No job security
Productive and Fun Workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway4 April 2018
It was a pleasure working in Smyths Toys, I have met great professionals there and also, from my point of view their values, and policy are admirable.
* A typical day at work:
Very busy, because I have worked there for Christmas time, but, from my point of view, they had enough staff for the demand.
* What I Learned.
How to treat customers in a real high level, making sure that they were leaving the store highly satisfied.
*Management.
The management there was great, I have never had any problem that I did not get a proper support.
*Workplace Culture.
Always working in an ethical behavior, serving customers as best as we could, and also they were very worried about safety.
*The hardest part
Some days it would be very tiring because we needed to work until nearly 2am in the busiest days.
*The most Enjoyable part of the job.
Help customers and in someway contribute to their happiness, it was great.
Pros
Excellent energy
Terrible workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry1 April 2017
Did not enjoy my time here at all staff are treated horribly especially by costumers but must continue on with their jobs like most places. If a costumer complains to your boss you don't get to defend yourself and you are the one in trouble for causing a disruption.
good experience and fun to work for!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal21 February 2017
I found it a great place to work and everybody i worked with were really nice!management was very helpful and good to work for.
Pros
job
Cons
Room for improvement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath29 September 2016
Good place to work, can be tough around Christmas Time when the work seems to pile up. Personal experience of managers has been mixed but overall the company is okay to work for.
Fun Workplace
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin19 January 2016
I have gained valuable customer service and sales skills though out my time working for Smyths Toys Superstore. The co- workers are easily the nicest people to work with and the environment is usually upbeat.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Long Hours shift work
Good workmates, horrible management team
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cork, City26 August 2015
Worked for Smyths Toys Superstores for 8 and half to 9 years on and off.
While moneywise it was good enough to scrape by, the management on both Maylor St in Cork City and Kinsale Rd leave a lot to desire.
Not once was i given the chance to be up for promotion or the chance of raising my wages accordingly as i was such a extended period of my life with them.
Whilst i have met lovely people in both stores, it´s sad to see that Management has such high standards.
Pros
good money to start off if you´re a student
Cons
little possibilities of promotion / rwage raises
Great Experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  dublin25 July 2015
It was enjoyable helping people with their questions at the customer service desk and it was even better getting to help people with their software and gaming needs when I worked their on occasion.