Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin11 October 2019
Very fast changing environment, very busy and very challenging workplace. If you enjoy working under constant pressure it is the right place for you..
I thought it would be a fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naas, County Kildare25 September 2019
But unfortunately not for me I found the manager quite rude very ignorant to me and always treated me second-best . He wouldn’t treat all the staff the same he would treat the permanent staff better then he would for the Christmas stu he wouldn’t treat all the staff the same he would treat the permanent staff better then he would for the Christmas staff.
When I went upstairs into the employee ease kitchen to receive a chair to bring down to the shopfloor to let an elderly lady sit down because she was on able to stand up the manager said to me where are you going with that chair I explained my reasons to him and he just said so what let her fall I was appalled I did not listen to him I brought the chair down and let the elderly lady sit down I would never work in that shop again
Pros
I didn’t see anything good to put down sorry
Cons
I was looking for more hours and they wouldn’t give them to me they give me three hours twice a week
Excellent experience
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick25 August 2019
Good atmosphere,co-worker very cooperative overall had a good international experience.store manager was very honest and fun loving guy.seniors and all managers was handle the work very easily in busy time
Pros
Cons
Some times
Great place to work wish o was back there!
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Cork22 July 2019
Smith’s is a good company to work for with a positive working environment. The only problem I had was that the contract w to short. I would work there again if possible stRaight away, it was GOOD.
Pros
Good atmosphere and friendly
Cons
Contract was to short.
Productive, easy going place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Childers Road Limerick.7 July 2019
My time in Smyths was brief as I was Christmas staff but I found the staff/management very helpful with any of my own queries as regards to the work, great sense of team work within the staff to get the work done.
Pros
Taxi home provided for staff that work the night pack the morning after.
Cons
Can't think of any to be fair.
A very interesting workplace
Sales assistance (Former Employee) –  Dublin2 April 2019
I highly recommend this workplace. Nice staff, amazing customers, and good salary. Hardest part of the job would be putting the products back in their places. I've never had a typical day at work.
Pros
Breaks and communicating with staff and customers
Fantastic place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny21 January 2019
Managers all very welcoming and supportive. Very happy positive environment to work in, would highly recommend applying. Very seasonal job, 20-30 hours or more at xmas and you can be let go for a period of time until needed again during the summer.
Pros
pay is above minimum wage
Cons
no guaranteed job after christmas
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galway24 October 2018
Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

I found Smyths Toys an unprofessional environment where they don't want to pay for experience and have individuals who started with them on Reception as low skilled workers heading up departments such as Logistics and the Buyers Departments. These heads do not have other industry experience and are responsible for huge Revenues. This keeps salaries low as they don't want to pay for experience.

There is a culture of unpaid overtime it is even stated in your contract.

I observed that Smyths Toys have a huge turnover of office staff in their head office.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering
Hard working and No adwards
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin1 September 2018
Company is always pushing to be the best but is let down with lack of training and leadership. Anything new introduced always starts with IT issues and not planned out correctly.
Pros
Meet some good people
Bad Overall
Customer support and Sales (Former Employee) –  Galway City23 August 2018
Cons, bad management horrible customer support systems and setup.

Lots of in fighting amongst management. Management in the csr department don't like suggestions that might merit you knowing more then they do or instigating any possitove change outside of their understanding.

They basically want drones.

Smiths are a horrible company to work for look at other reviews.
Pros
Start finish time
Cons
Management, Company, Staff Treatment, Work Ethic, Job Role, Staff Turn Around
Wasnt good
Sales Assistant (Seasonal Work) (Former Employee) –  Dublin13 August 2018
Overall my experience with Smyths wasnt great. No system in place .Management kept contradicting each other. To me was very unprofessional money was bad and the night shifts were horrible as manager wasnt professional.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth14 May 2018
I loved working in smyths toys . The management and staff were very friendly. Each day i would do a number of tasks like stock deliveries, tidying the shop , work on till if shop was busy , mechandise the stock and if manager was busy i would cash up at the end of day .
The hardest part about working there was christmas time as I did the night pack each year and we would be under a lot of pressure to have shelves stocked on time. My only reason for leaving was because I had a new baby and had no childcare.
preductive and fun workplace
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  fontill retail park6 March 2018
well my days in smyths toys were jam packed with work as it was during the lead up and during Christmas, so there was a lot to do but that being said I found the staff were very friendly and were always there to lend a helping hand. It was very educational to the fact that I went in not knowing a thing and came away with my retail and customer service skills being drastically increased. I was part of the outdoor team in store helping customers with bike ride on cars ect so they job itself required a lot of heavy lifting but I enjoyed the work I did and everyone who worked there made me feel welcome.
challenging, fun, educational and productive
Customer Service Assistant/ Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath4 January 2018
I only worked for a short period of time as I was only there for seasonal work a few year back. During my short period of time there I gained invaluable skills which helped me secure other jobs.
Hardworking job with lack of appreciation
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork Maylor Street13 December 2017
Typical day in smyths is working on delivery, helping the customers on the foor and keeping the shop floor tidy.
I learned alot about customer service that i can now carry into my job as well as patience and understanding.
Management was okay if you got along with them, If you did not then it was an uncomfortable place to work in. You were expected to stay past your rostered time if things were not done but was never asked.
Workplace culture was great you meet people from all around the world and the staff were the best get on with we were like a small family.
The hardest part of the job without a doubt is christmas time, Its very long hours with not much personal appreciation from managers or the company itself.They also say there is loads of positions to grow "up the ladder" I have never heard so much lies in my life.
The most enjoyable part is definitely the people I worked with, they were polite and mostly funny so it definitely made a difference during the day
Pros
Great Staff to work with
Cons
No staff appreciation from managers
I didn't like smyths
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin16 March 2017
I found smyths not a great place to work, the staff where very unfriendly when I started. The hours where okay I couldn't complain I had a job. over all I'm glad for the experience
Nice workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kinsale Road, Cork10 March 2017
A typical day at Smyths Toys would require an employee to tend to the needs of customers and also work on the delivery, whilst also maintaining and cleaning the shop.
Throughout my time at Smyths Toys, I have learned to treat customers with the utmost respect, the same way I would like to be treated in a shop. I have acquired well-developed customer service skills that I will carry with me throughout my career.
The majority of the employees at Smyths Toys would be young people and therefore the workplace culture was fun and cheerful.
The hardest part of the job would be Christmas Time, with long hours, difficult customers and big deliveries.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help a customer in need and also working with colleagues that you can have fun with.
Cons
Having to work extra hours with very little notice
productive and fun environment
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines, County Dublin23 February 2017
A typical day in Smyths for me would have been clocking into work and going to my till to greet and serve customers. Throughout the day I would often leave the till to help a customer find what they were looking for. At the end of the day when the shop would close, my co-workers and I would clean up our respected areas and assisted those in other areas. We would also help to repack the shelves until out shift was over.
Fun and lovely place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath17 January 2017
Lovely place to work at, it can be extremely busy especially Christmas time. I enjoyed working there with kids running all over. Management and staff very friendly
Sale assistance
Sales assistance (Current Employee) –  Kinsale, County Cork20 December 2016
When I arrived to work in this company I met a very nice team work which made me enjoying work environment, and I've built up very strong relationship with work colegues
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Yes i do long hours