Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

Excellent experience
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick25 August 2019
Good atmosphere,co-worker very cooperative overall had a good international experience.store manager was very honest and fun loving guy.seniors and all managers was handle the work very easily in busy time
Pros
Cons
Some times
Great place to work wish o was back there!
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Cork22 July 2019
Smith’s is a good company to work for with a positive working environment. The only problem I had was that the contract w to short. I would work there again if possible stRaight away, it was GOOD.
Pros
Good atmosphere and friendly
Cons
Contract was to short.
A very interesting workplace
Sales assistance (Former Employee) –  Dublin2 April 2019
I highly recommend this workplace. Nice staff, amazing customers, and good salary. Hardest part of the job would be putting the products back in their places. I've never had a typical day at work.
Pros
Breaks and communicating with staff and customers
Fantastic place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny21 January 2019
Managers all very welcoming and supportive. Very happy positive environment to work in, would highly recommend applying. Very seasonal job, 20-30 hours or more at xmas and you can be let go for a period of time until needed again during the summer.
Pros
pay is above minimum wage
Cons
no guaranteed job after christmas
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galway24 October 2018
Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

I found Smyths Toys an unprofessional environment where they don't want to pay for experience and have individuals who started with them on Reception as low skilled workers heading up departments such as Logistics and the Buyers Departments. These heads do not have other industry experience and are responsible for huge Revenues. This keeps salaries low as they don't want to pay for experience.

There is a culture of unpaid overtime it is even stated in your contract.

I observed that Smyths Toys have a huge turnover of office staff in their head office.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering
Hard working and No adwards
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin1 September 2018
Company is always pushing to be the best but is let down with lack of training and leadership. Anything new introduced always starts with IT issues and not planned out correctly.
Pros
Meet some good people
Bad Overall
Customer support and Sales (Former Employee) –  Galway City23 August 2018
Cons, bad management horrible customer support systems and setup.

Lots of in fighting amongst management. Management in the csr department don't like suggestions that might merit you knowing more then they do or instigating any possitove change outside of their understanding.

They basically want drones.

Smiths are a horrible company to work for look at other reviews.
Pros
Start finish time
Cons
Management, Company, Staff Treatment, Work Ethic, Job Role, Staff Turn Around
Wasnt good
Sales Assistant (Seasonal Work) (Former Employee) –  Dublin13 August 2018
Overall my experience with Smyths wasnt great. No system in place .Management kept contradicting each other. To me was very unprofessional money was bad and the night shifts were horrible as manager wasnt professional.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth14 May 2018
I loved working in smyths toys . The management and staff were very friendly. Each day i would do a number of tasks like stock deliveries, tidying the shop , work on till if shop was busy , mechandise the stock and if manager was busy i would cash up at the end of day .
The hardest part about working there was christmas time as I did the night pack each year and we would be under a lot of pressure to have shelves stocked on time. My only reason for leaving was because I had a new baby and had no childcare.
preductive and fun workplace
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  fontill retail park6 March 2018
well my days in smyths toys were jam packed with work as it was during the lead up and during Christmas, so there was a lot to do but that being said I found the staff were very friendly and were always there to lend a helping hand. It was very educational to the fact that I went in not knowing a thing and came away with my retail and customer service skills being drastically increased. I was part of the outdoor team in store helping customers with bike ride on cars ect so they job itself required a lot of heavy lifting but I enjoyed the work I did and everyone who worked there made me feel welcome.
challenging, fun, educational and productive
Customer Service Assistant/ Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath4 January 2018
I only worked for a short period of time as I was only there for seasonal work a few year back. During my short period of time there I gained invaluable skills which helped me secure other jobs.
Hardworking job with lack of appreciation
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork Maylor Street13 December 2017
Typical day in smyths is working on delivery, helping the customers on the foor and keeping the shop floor tidy.
I learned alot about customer service that i can now carry into my job as well as patience and understanding.
Management was okay if you got along with them, If you did not then it was an uncomfortable place to work in. You were expected to stay past your rostered time if things were not done but was never asked.
Workplace culture was great you meet people from all around the world and the staff were the best get on with we were like a small family.
The hardest part of the job without a doubt is christmas time, Its very long hours with not much personal appreciation from managers or the company itself.They also say there is loads of positions to grow "up the ladder" I have never heard so much lies in my life.
The most enjoyable part is definitely the people I worked with, they were polite and mostly funny so it definitely made a difference during the day
Pros
Great Staff to work with
Cons
No staff appreciation from managers
I didn't like smyths
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin16 March 2017
I found smyths not a great place to work, the staff where very unfriendly when I started. The hours where okay I couldn't complain I had a job. over all I'm glad for the experience
Nice workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kinsale Road, Cork10 March 2017
A typical day at Smyths Toys would require an employee to tend to the needs of customers and also work on the delivery, whilst also maintaining and cleaning the shop.
Throughout my time at Smyths Toys, I have learned to treat customers with the utmost respect, the same way I would like to be treated in a shop. I have acquired well-developed customer service skills that I will carry with me throughout my career.
The majority of the employees at Smyths Toys would be young people and therefore the workplace culture was fun and cheerful.
The hardest part of the job would be Christmas Time, with long hours, difficult customers and big deliveries.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help a customer in need and also working with colleagues that you can have fun with.
Cons
Having to work extra hours with very little notice
productive and fun environment
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines, County Dublin23 February 2017
A typical day in Smyths for me would have been clocking into work and going to my till to greet and serve customers. Throughout the day I would often leave the till to help a customer find what they were looking for. At the end of the day when the shop would close, my co-workers and I would clean up our respected areas and assisted those in other areas. We would also help to repack the shelves until out shift was over.
Fun and lovely place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath17 January 2017
Lovely place to work at, it can be extremely busy especially Christmas time. I enjoyed working there with kids running all over. Management and staff very friendly
Sale assistance
Sales assistance (Current Employee) –  Kinsale, County Cork20 December 2016
When I arrived to work in this company I met a very nice team work which made me enjoying work environment, and I've built up very strong relationship with work colegues
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Yes i do long hours
Engaging workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 December 2016
On a daily basis I worked on tills, interacted with customers, maintained a clean and tidy store, restocked shelves.
I learned great communication skills and organisation skills.
Pros
Great experience working in retail.
Cons
Only seasonal work.
Former Customer Service Ennis Road Limerick
Former customer service (Former Employee) –  Llimerick Ennis Road19 December 2016
Most horrible place I ever worked. Was bullied by all three managers. Hours cut for booking time off in advance for a day trip. Was punished for it and given that day off for for months straight out of spite. Cut to a one day week for no reason. A manager physically put his hands on me poking me to hurry up with serving customers. Was called names by managment. Disgraceful company who don't care about their employees.
Pros
Cons
Poor wages, bad hours, bullying management
Company just looking to pay as you as low as possible
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin27 October 2016
Stay away from this company because they are looking just for numbers. Good place to start if you dont have perfect language and motivaton,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.