Play YouTube video button
Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

Useful to work for during the busy Christmas period
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Claremorris, County Mayo10 January 2020
It was a moderately relaxed environment during the day, attending to customers and restocking shelves while night time was tedious restocking of countless shelves and sweeping and mopping. It was only for the busy period but none the less it was a pleasant and friendly relaxed environment to work in
Good environment bad management
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork8 January 2020
Working on tills andnightpack is hard cause thereare not enough people and u must stay longer.breaks are ok. They change the roaster every day,some people are cancelled without knowing.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Long hours, bad management, temporary job, no meals, no taxi in night shift
Good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallaght, County Dublin5 December 2019
Working here the paat while and i tbink its a great work environment and everyone gets along , extra hours when ever you need them and always busy ...
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal5 December 2019
Managers pick favourites and if your not one they don't care about you hardly even talk to you, give you a hard time over basically nothing. not worth it.
Pros
good money
I love working here!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth25 November 2019
You get to meet so many new and young people with different backgrounds, it’s crazy! Everyone in my store is hardworking, nice and ready to help you if you’re not sure about something. They’re all so friendly, I didn’t expect it. The first week was hard to get the work-life balance in order and to remember all of the new information but once I settled in, it was a breeze. I love working here ans working at the tills.
Best place to work great place for retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry25 November 2019
Easy to work with great team
Great management
So kind
Can't say enough about them
People are easy to work with
Training they give is great
Very helpful
productive and great managers
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal25 November 2019
I work there for Christmas and it is the best opportunity i could ever have, I am excited to go into work everyday because of how nice everyone is. The managers are more than understanding and approachable.
Everyone in Smyths Toy Store's like a big family.
Hard-work but funny place to work for
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cork19 November 2019
I learned how to tidy the shop and pack out toys. Night shifts are very exhausting, working on the stock for the next day. Closely work with customers. Management is very poor.
Fast paced, hard work, enjoyable
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath13 November 2019
Work like balance was the only hard thing about this job, working 6 days for 6 to 8 weeks at Christmas but overall I enjoyed my time and if didn't have small family would still be there. Pay was average for management but quite low for staff.
Not good
Excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth2 November 2019
Throw in no training and den give out when something is done wrong poor company no advance meant and no benefits stay clear expect alot not welling to train
Productive and Fun place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin11 October 2019
Very fast changing environment, very busy and very challenging workplace. If you enjoy working under constant pressure it is the right place for you..
Productive and serious about fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin10 October 2019
Good company to work for. Very challenging environment. If you are a hard worker and love work under pressure this is place for you. Quick career progression.
Good place to work, staff are very helpful in whatever situation,
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  6, Sligo Retail Park, Dublin Road26 September 2019
I learnt many skills, stock rotation, packing, cleaning of the warehouse, putting stock out on the floor, helping customers with items around or to their car if needed. helping customers with pricing products.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Would have liked to be there longer than I was
I thought it would be a fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naas, County Kildare25 September 2019
But unfortunately not for me I found the manager quite rude very ignorant to me and always treated me second-best . He wouldn’t treat all the staff the same he would treat the permanent staff better then he would for the Christmas stu he wouldn’t treat all the staff the same he would treat the permanent staff better then he would for the Christmas staff.
When I went upstairs into the employee ease kitchen to receive a chair to bring down to the shopfloor to let an elderly lady sit down because she was on able to stand up the manager said to me where are you going with that chair I explained my reasons to him and he just said so what let her fall I was appalled I did not listen to him I brought the chair down and let the elderly lady sit down I would never work in that shop again
Pros
I didn’t see anything good to put down sorry
Cons
I was looking for more hours and they wouldn’t give them to me they give me three hours twice a week
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines , Dublin26 August 2019
I loved working in smyths all the staff were so friendly and I made some friends with them the hours were long but were set so I was delighted with that and I always got weekends off it was always busy which usually made the go go quick enough I was a Christmas temp but got very good pay and hours and was sad to leave but I wasn't needed after Christmas as it got very quiet and the hours weren't available
Pros
Friendly staff and management, staff discount
Cons
Wasnt really any
Excellent experience
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick25 August 2019
Good atmosphere,co-worker very cooperative overall had a good international experience.store manager was very honest and fun loving guy.seniors and all managers was handle the work very easily in busy time
Pros
Cons
Some times
Easy job but dead end
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal25 July 2019
Job has No possibility for any career advancement which seems to makes managers very petty. Duty managers are competing with each other for a managers job which may never even become available. If you can put up with managers the job is easy and without much pressure
Pros
Handy work
Cons
Dead end
Great place to work wish o was back there!
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Cork22 July 2019
Smith’s is a good company to work for with a positive working environment. The only problem I had was that the contract w to short. I would work there again if possible stRaight away, it was GOOD.
Pros
Good atmosphere and friendly
Cons
Contract was to short.
friendly young people to work with
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickmines, County Dublin20 July 2019
Smyth´s Toys filled my need for a first temporary job having arrived in Ireland. It was a 4 months contract that I had that allowed me to pay my bills and to stand up and look for better opportunities, which I did.
Pros
close location to home
Cons
Uneasy adaptation start
Fun and fast paced environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 July 2019
I worked for the month of December and being a toy store, we were busy from opening to close. It was a fun and exciting place to work and I got to meet people of all backgrounds
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.