Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

Seasonal work

Hard work on customer service phones A lot of disappointed customers Poor managers who didnt support their staffHours of work were not too bad Good parking facilities

Productive and fun workplace.

Smyths has overall been my favourite place to work. The managers and all other staff members are always understanding and supportive regarding personal matters. They always help if you get stuck with tasks and help you to achieve them to the highest standard. I would happily stay for years should the opportunity arise.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Non paid lunches

Dont work thers stressful

There is a bullying regime management keeps threatening for u to lose your job practically every shift. the staff are 2 faced instead of helping you they moan about u behind your back

Pros

Hour break

Bad place,bad management

I did one night shift, and about 90 mins,of second night shift, I was not impressed, some of the staff, are easy to talk to, but over all, pls people stay away from this company

Pros

No Pros

Cons

Bloody everything

I loved my job!!

This place was so fun to work, I never got treated negatively, my managers were lovely & staff are like family! I was so happy. Sometimes it could get crazy busy but it made the store come to life! I miss my job and hope to return one day, I have so much love & loyalty to the company, the reason I left was Mat Leave & relocation :(

Pros

Great staff to work with, helpful & friendly, we were like family

Cons

Sometimes unsociable hours working too 11 at night in lead upto Christmas, still loved it any way!

Bad place to work.

Very poor communication between menagment. Very little training, you are expected to know everything after day of work. Store always understaffed during busy period. Working week up to 6 days during Christmas time with crazy long shifts (14hrs). Staff underpaid. Poor contracts with as much as 8hours or no contract whatsoever. False promises given about progression onto managment so you could work more hrs and shifts and continue to work hard. When I confronted them about manager position (when one was available in my store) I was ignored and left with no answers.

Pros

1hr lunch, great staff to work with

Cons

Long shifts, false promises, underpaid, understaffed

Awful place to work

Awful place to work. If you’re not a pretty blonde or a bloke they treat you like absolute dirt. the first week or so they are ok but then the management really come out of their shells and treat you like dirt. If you want a life or have kids yourself and have to work around them then I wouldn’t bother.

Pros

You get an hour for dinner

Cons

No life out of work, work stupid unsocial hours the management are awful.

Its okay until

Your colleagues who you work with are just some of the greatest people you will ever meet, friendly approachable and love a bit of banter. And then there's management. You make one simple mistake and they basically disown you. They put you stupid shifts and they talk to you rather rudely while they laugh with other workers and get you to go away and do work to basically get you out of their way while they can stand around chatting to other workers. They also don't listen when you request certain days off for other commitments outside of work and still decide to rota you in for that day

Pros

Colleagues you work with

Als Übergangslösung okay

Dieses Unternehmen legt sehr viel Wert darauf, seine Mitarbeiter auf Sparflamme zu halten. Es geht mit dem Mindestlohn los und mehr als Teilzeit ist nicht drin. Wer mal eine halbe Überstunde macht, wird darauf hingewiesen, dies bitte zu unterlassen. Wer in der heutigen Zeit Wohnung, Strom, Lebensmittel etc. zu bezahlen hat, ist hier nicht richtig. Das Arbeitsklima lässt zudem zu wünschen übrig.

Pros

Viel Freizeit durch wenig Stunden

Cons

Wechselnde Schichten, bis zu 3 verschiedene innerhalb einer Woche

Worked like dogs promised the world

This started out as a fantastic place to work opened from new trained in other stores was very good, sadly when store opened everything changed the hours where laughable but if you didn't do it, you wouldn't pass the probation period... managers and store manager where only interested in themselves and didn't have any interest in the staff issues.... I would hope things have changed but seeing the culture there I would doubt it has.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long hours poorly treated by higher management

Amazing workplace

Absolutely loved my time at smyths and highly wish I could of stayed but due to COVID 19 my time was short there but fully enjoyed every second and the staff were amazing couldn’t fault anything.

An amazing place to work

I already miss working at smyths I only left because the trains where messing me about. The people who work there where all amazing the managers baring one was also really nice and helpful and actually cared about their staff I love the place and wish I could go back.

Pros

Amazing place to work

Cons

For me was way to far to travel

Management look out for their own

One of the managers had multiple affairs with employees, sending explicit snapchats and messages this was found out complaint made and given to hr and nothing came of it , they don't care they look out for their own they act like they care but you are replaceable.

Best job

Amazing staff and great management, I have kids so they gave me 9.30am to 2.30pm so have time to drop kids of at school and collect them, everyone helps each other out

Steer Clear

I worked for this company for 2 years and the management leaves a lot to be desired. A company that clearly doesn't care what kind of store managers run their stores, with several customer and staff complaints a week in regards to the way they're treated by the store manager. No rota done in advance so you cant plan anything for home life, shifts changed at short or no notice made to work nights over xmas with out any notice or consideration given. Asked to do stuff outside job role and told if you dont do it you can leave. Shift patterns are not sociable either working all day from 10x8 or the min 8hr contract a week if your face doesnt fit.

Pros

Staff discount

Awful place to work

The management are bullies, and if you don’t fit in with them and their clique straight away you’ll know it. The pay is bad, and they’ll end up making you work 10+ hours without a break because you’re only rostered in for 5 hours, but it’s a Sunday and it’s Christmas deliveries, then refusing to help you with your tasks after getting someone else to explain it to you who also doesn’t understand

Pros

20% discount

Interessanter Arbeitsort

Mit den richtigen Kollegen macht das arbeiten dort Spass. Doch wenn man gefördert werden will, kommt man nur weiter, wenn man jemanden den Hintern küsst. Man wird nicht nach seinen Leistungen beurteilt.

Pros

Prozente auf dem Sortiment

Cons

Keine Weiterbildung, keine Vollzeit Einstellung

Diabolical workplace

Save yourself the trauma and DONT WORK HERE. The staff are absolutely rude- gossiping about other staff, embarrassing staff members in front of everyone, speaking to you as though you are nothing, staff like to make up lies about other staff. Terrible terrible place to work in! Staff who are 30+ pick fights with 16 year olds- it’s vile! Management is completely unprofessional and has no care for the well being of staff at all, also very rude and nasty. Pay is also extremely bad and low ( just about pay minimum wage)

Pros

When your shift finishes

Cons

The whole job

Horrible stressful enviroment

This company is badly run at all levels and incredibly stressful at busy times. Managers seem to think you can do multiple jobs at the same time and will get stressy when you can't do one of them despite being obviously busy with a customer and a trampoline on a trolley. Completely inconsistent behaviour from management and obvious favouritism, don't expect any kind of respect if they think they can take advantage of you. If you are injured as a result of the company don't expect any kind of apology even though they are legally responsible for it and fully to blame due to not following their own health and safety procedures, which are shockingly bad overall.The only enjoyable part of this job was the other staff members who I will miss, almost all the staff I started with have left and most people that joined also left quite quickly or were let go when their contracts ended. Also expect to be on a temporary contract until they legally can't keep you on one anymore at which point they will either let you go or make you permanent after two years.

Pros

Cons

Obvious favouritism, repeated last minute shift changes, inconsistent hours

Fun workplace

Good place to work but as soon as your 3 months are up they get rid off you so they don’t have to give you a full contact. Don’t get me wrong it was a good place to work

Stressful and high expectations dispite minimum wage

Would not recommend working here, enjoyable at first but you will slowly come to hate the placeDepending on where you work you might like your managers but the upper levels just keep adding new stuff and higher expectations for what is a minimum wage jobAlso lowering the hours available every year dispite record profit or loss, putting more pressure on staff

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Unstable hours and pleanty more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement