Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews in Cork, County Cork

Fun place to work, long days though

People there were funWages are decentManagement were sometimes hard to findRelaxed environmentThe job is quite easy to navigate and help is always around

Pros

Friendly people, decent wages

Cons

Long days, management not very hands-on

Fun work place

It's a good place to work if you like retail management can be tough they are very contradicting one will tell you to do one thing and another will say that's wrong and don't their was it can be very frustrating

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Long hours late shifts

A very bad place to work

I would not recommend working in smyths the Management are rude and not one bit helpful they make you feel bad for asking a question and asking for help. They also talk about you right infront of you as if you can’t hear them. They make you feel very small as a person. They also don’t give you any training just expect you to know everything and then give out when you ask a question. Really would not Recommend working there.

Pros

Alright pay

Cons

Long hours non paid lunches rude management and no training provided.

Good environment bad management

Working on tills andnightpack is hard cause thereare not enough people and u must stay longer.breaks are ok. They change the roaster every day,some people are cancelled without knowing.

Pros

Pay benefits

Cons

Long hours, bad management, temporary job, no meals, no taxi in night shift

Hard-work but funny place to work for

I learned how to tidy the shop and pack out toys. Night shifts are very exhausting, working on the stock for the next day. Closely work with customers. Management is very poor.

Great place to work wish o was back there!

Smith’s is a good company to work for with a positive working environment. The only problem I had was that the contract w to short. I would work there again if possible stRaight away, it was GOOD.

Pros

Good atmosphere and friendly

Cons

Contract was to short.

Terrible Company

Worst company I ever worked for. Make you work 6 days a week for 8 weeks coming up to Christmas, and don't pay you for the extra day they tell you it's included in your bonus - which I never got. Was supposed to be €1,000 which they tax! Terrible hours, 12 hours + a day, Christmas hours even worse. Head Office have no clue what they are doing. Staff are not trained well or properly and fear mystery shoppers everyday.

Great Work

I was on the floor during the busiest season which was Christmas. Had great experience working here as I had never worked in a retail or pretty much anything it was my first job. It was great being able to communicate with customers daily.

Pros

got discount off when purchased over certain amount

Cons

Hardworking job with lack of appreciation

Typical day in smyths is working on delivery, helping the customers on the foor and keeping the shop floor tidy. I learned alot about customer service that i can now carry into my job as well as patience and understanding. Management was okay if you got along with them, If you did not then it was an uncomfortable place to work in. You were expected to stay past your rostered time if things were not done but was never asked. Workplace culture was great you meet people from all around the world and the staff were the best get on with we were like a small family. The hardest part of the job without a doubt is christmas time, Its very long hours with not much personal appreciation from managers or the company itself.They also say there is loads of positions to grow "up the ladder" I have never heard so much lies in my life. The most enjoyable part is definitely the people I worked with, they were polite and mostly funny so it definitely made a difference during the day

Pros

Great Staff to work with

Cons

No staff appreciation from managers

fun

good place to work, learned a lot of skills working there, staff were friendly and management was good, i enjoyed aiding customers but stocking the shelves got boring at times.

Jobs at Smyths Toys

in Cork, County Cork
See more jobs

Nice workplace

A typical day at Smyths Toys would require an employee to tend to the needs of customers and also work on the delivery, whilst also maintaining and cleaning the shop. Throughout my time at Smyths Toys, I have learned to treat customers with the utmost respect, the same way I would like to be treated in a shop. I have acquired well-developed customer service skills that I will carry with me throughout my career. The majority of the employees at Smyths Toys would be young people and therefore the workplace culture was fun and cheerful. The hardest part of the job would be Christmas Time, with long hours, difficult customers and big deliveries. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help a customer in need and also working with colleagues that you can have fun with.

Cons

Having to work extra hours with very little notice

Ideal job i really loved

Was a great work environment and very friendly from the start. Even though I was working nights and 12hr shifts i could never complain.

Pros

No customers at nights (work could be done faster)

Cons

Good workmates, horrible management team

Worked for Smyths Toys Superstores for 8 and half to 9 years on and off. While moneywise it was good enough to scrape by, the management on both Maylor St in Cork City and Kinsale Rd leave a lot to desire. Not once was i given the chance to be up for promotion or the chance of raising my wages accordingly as i was such a extended period of my life with them. Whilst i have met lovely people in both stores, it´s sad to see that Management has such high standards.

Pros

good money to start off if you´re a student

Cons

little possibilities of promotion / rwage raises

weekends verry busy smyths system was very good organizations in work place was poor

Pros

Cons

only one break

Fun workplace

Working in Smyths was a great experience for me. Despite the fact that hours were long, one felt like enjoying this work due to the background music. One of the reasons I liked working in Smyths was because of polite customers, great management and colleagues.

Pros

Great management and colleauges

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement