Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews in Galway, County Galway

Seasonal work

Hard work on customer service phones A lot of disappointed customers Poor managers who didnt support their staffHours of work were not too bad Good parking facilities

Horrible place to work

You would think a toy shop would be a nice place to work, especially around the festive season. But quite frankly that isn’t the case for this shop. In the interview management were very nice and polite but do not be fooled, that all changes when you start working. The management here is shockingly bad, except for a few decent duty managers. The senior management team are extremely rude and not pleasant to work alongside. They treat most employees with very little respect by speaking to employees like children in a condescending manner. They use the little power that they have to bring down staff members and be-little them. They find it amusing to give out to employees and make staff fear them. Also managers open doors late into the shop every morning and dock 15 mins for being “late” even when you are standing outside since 7 waiting for them (this happens everyday). Absolutely disgusted by their management skills because clearly they have none. It’s a shame as all staff are really lovely to work with but management ruin it. Horrible place to work. Definitely wouldn’t recommend.

Pros

Staff members are lovely but managers ruin it

Not great

Pay is really good but the managers were mean and one of them made a pass on me and all the other young women working there as far as I know and that’s unprofessional

Pros

Pay

No age diversity

Fast paced, energetic office suitable for graduates and those without family commitments. For a growing business that is reliant upon children and families, the work load and expectation is not suited to those with young families and the commitments they require. During my time there the staff turnover was very high for a certain age demographic.

Relaxed workplace

relaxed workplace, not very strict. Regular breaks. Friendly and approachable staff. Different shift patterns. Management very approachable and helpful.

Awful place

Horrible company to work for. Bullying management and senior management. Crazy staff rotation. They don't care about long term members at all. No work/life balance whatsoever, you gonna be rang on your day off or you'll be expected to come in and drop all your plans. The job itself isn't bad at all, you can gain many skills like merchandising - only if their work ethic was better and they would treat employees with respect, not like another number. Store managers usually do nothing bar spending the day in the office, but they will expect everyone else to work on highest possible speed. Noone sticks to company policy either, why having it then at all? Won't even mention the hours, managers are doing average of 50h/week and not even getting paid for overtime. I would recommend it for young people as temporary job until they find something better.

Pros

Company invests in trainings eg. Customer service, first aid, forklift, departament trainings

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance, pressure, unfairness, bullying

Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering I found Smyths Toys an unprofessional environment where they don't want to pay for experience and have individuals who started with them on Reception as low skilled workers heading up departments such as Logistics and the Buyers Departments. These heads do not have other industry experience and are responsible for huge Revenues. This keeps salaries low as they don't want to pay for experience. There is a culture of unpaid overtime it is even stated in your contract. I observed that Smyths Toys have a huge turnover of office staff in their head office.

Pros

Zero

Cons

Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

Bad Overall

Cons, bad management horrible customer support systems and setup. Lots of in fighting amongst management. Management in the csr department don't like suggestions that might merit you knowing more then they do or instigating any possitove change outside of their understanding. They basically want drones. Smiths are a horrible company to work for look at other reviews.

Pros

Start finish time

Cons

Management, Company, Staff Treatment, Work Ethic, Job Role, Staff Turn Around

Productive and Fun Workplace

It was a pleasure working in Smyths Toys, I have met great professionals there and also, from my point of view their values, and policy are admirable. * A typical day at work: Very busy, because I have worked there for Christmas time, but, from my point of view, they had enough staff for the demand. * What I Learned. How to treat customers in a real high level, making sure that they were leaving the store highly satisfied. *Management. The management there was great, I have never had any problem that I did not get a proper support. *Workplace Culture. Always working in an ethical behavior, serving customers as best as we could, and also they were very worried about safety. *The hardest part Some days it would be very tiring because we needed to work until nearly 2am in the busiest days. *The most Enjoyable part of the job. Help customers and in someway contribute to their happiness, it was great.

Pros

Excellent energy

Retail experience

My first retail experience was with Tesco, started on Nightshift with shop closed and made alot of friends. Got sick of working all night and transferred to day shift and got experience on day shift in a busy city centre supermarket

Jobs at Smyths Toys

in Galway, County Galway
See more jobs

No such thing as a permanet postion in Smyths

No work culture Poor management No social aspect within the office Get results for the company with a threat always over hanging Great people work for a terrible work ethic

Pros

start time & lunch breaks

Cons

long hours, no days in lieu, working christmas

good staff and a nice place to work

the staff where very kind and as a whole the shop just ran smoothly the managers where fair and good to work for and offered a helping hand whenever I needed it.

Productive and Great experience

The empire is growing from strength to Strength- opening at least 15 Stres every year - loads of changes to current infrastructure - Moving totally to SAP. My job is really responsible as i am looking after sales getti ng from stores - these are then relicated into SAP and outputed to BI report for shareholder - these reports state what is made in every store. Also responsible for cathering for all manager needs instore. Very challenging and rewarding

Pros

S&S club excellent - loads of freebies toys - Stock clearance to HO

One of the best minimum wage jobs

I was employed here straight out of school and during college. Never had problem with management, like most jobs if you kept your head down and did what you were being paid for there was no problem. You never had to go above and beyond the call of duty- the day started and finished when you clocked in/out. Co workers were overall great, but there is no room whatsoever to advance beyond general till monkey. Every day is different and you're never bored. The hours were fantastic if you were looking purely to earn money. Despite being minimum wage you were sure of getting 8+ hours 5+ days a week. You got a discount in the store too. The downside is no guarantee of 2 days in a row off and you can't plan ahead in your own time because you just won't know when your days off are. Probably the best minimum wage job out there!

Lovely place to work with amazing customer service

A typical Day at work involved dealing with customers, till operations, restocking shelves, doing returns, refunds and discounts. I learned a very high standard of customer service, Using till and doing returns and refunds, restocking merchandising and pricing products I really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere among staff. The hardest part of the job was dealing with refunds and customers but training provided us with the best qualities to deal with this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement