Smyths Toys

Ireland160 reviews

Clear
2.7Job security & advancement

Very busy/ instable hours

Hours were very hard to maintain a work/life balance with. Contract work so hard to guarantee a future there past the three month intervals for the first year

Pros

Staff Discount

Cons

hours not set

Work is what you make it

it was a fun experience to work with smyths. Senior management have a poor attitude to store colleagues and very little support by way of coaching or ups killing. At store level it is enjoyable, you work hard but have the time you need and required to do a good job. I would recommend the experience but sadly not for somebody looking at management or to develop themselves or their career.

ok Place to work

Good place to work, not a good place to progress your career no advantages not enough training giving by mangers, mangers except so much with so little training, management make you feel really guilty for ringing in sick!! Other staff can be very bossy towards new staff as e everyone is young!

Productive and serious about fun

Good company to work for. Very challenging environment. If you are a hard worker and love work under pressure this is place for you. Quick career progression.

Easy job but dead end

Job has No possibility for any career advancement which seems to makes managers very petty. Duty managers are competing with each other for a managers job which may never even become available. If you can put up with managers the job is easy and without much pressure

Pros

Handy work

Cons

Dead end

friendly young people to work with

Smyth´s Toys filled my need for a first temporary job having arrived in Ireland. It was a 4 months contract that I had that allowed me to pay my bills and to stand up and look for better opportunities, which I did.

Pros

close location to home

Cons

Uneasy adaptation start

Great place for a young person to work

very lively place to work with a lot of chances to learn new things and get good experience. I really enjoyed being moved to different sections of the shop

Pros

working with a great team

Cons

very long shifts or 4 hour shifts

Fun

I only did a weeks work expierence here but i did learn a lot about placement of items on shelfs correctly so popular items sell. I enjoyed my time working there

Productive,Fun and Laidback

It was a great place to work.A normal workday would be fast paced and quite busy which required you to be organised,patient and have good customer services skills.You are required to learn every specification of all toys and be able to solve most problems put forward to you.

Cons

No job security

challenging, fun, educational and productive

I only worked for a short period of time as I was only there for seasonal work a few year back. During my short period of time there I gained invaluable skills which helped me secure other jobs.

Nice workplace

A typical day at Smyths Toys would require an employee to tend to the needs of customers and also work on the delivery, whilst also maintaining and cleaning the shop. Throughout my time at Smyths Toys, I have learned to treat customers with the utmost respect, the same way I would like to be treated in a shop. I have acquired well-developed customer service skills that I will carry with me throughout my career. The majority of the employees at Smyths Toys would be young people and therefore the workplace culture was fun and cheerful. The hardest part of the job would be Christmas Time, with long hours, difficult customers and big deliveries. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help a customer in need and also working with colleagues that you can have fun with.

Cons

Having to work extra hours with very little notice

good atmosphere and ideal for students

A nice place to work as it has given me many benefits and good experience that I have used as a learning curve in my life. This job would be well suited to students or those looking for part time work.

Company just looking to pay as you as low as possible

Stay away from this company because they are looking just for numbers. Good place to start if you dont have perfect language and motivaton,

Room for improvement

Good place to work, can be tough around Christmas Time when the work seems to pile up. Personal experience of managers has been mixed but overall the company is okay to work for.

A learning experience

I did a week of work experience for Smyths Toys in Bray and I can say that my time there was very enjoyable, every day i was trained in a new area of the store and I was very intrested in how the place was run.

Not nice workplace

no hours,no bonuses,no paid raise as long as five years, no HR, one person to run two departaments,no people to cover breaks,no people to cover tills,bullying by management, hours cuts during a week, changing of shift rosters, pressure,

only worked here for 2 weeks during work experience

i haven't much to say about smyths as i was only there for 2 weeks many years ago on work experience, but from what i remember it was a good place to work, plenty of work load and friendly staff

Fun place to work

I enjoyed working here, even if it was only for Xmas. I wish I could have continued working here and it was a brilliant experience and I learned new skills while working here.

Pros

Management very understanding and friendly

Cons

It was only for Xmas

Good workmates, horrible management team

Worked for Smyths Toys Superstores for 8 and half to 9 years on and off. While moneywise it was good enough to scrape by, the management on both Maylor St in Cork City and Kinsale Rd leave a lot to desire. Not once was i given the chance to be up for promotion or the chance of raising my wages accordingly as i was such a extended period of my life with them. Whilst i have met lovely people in both stores, it´s sad to see that Management has such high standards.

Pros

good money to start off if you´re a student

Cons

little possibilities of promotion / rwage raises

Unfriendly

I didnt really enjoy my working experience here they were very fixed to what they wanted n didnt feel they could give me a chance to work on tills.

Smyths

This was my first full time job when i finished school. It was good to learn new things they showed me how to use the tills and thought me about the software in games .

Pros

close to were i lived

Cons

working till 3am at christmas :D

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7