Play YouTube video button
Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Pay & benefits reviews

Ireland137 reviews
Back in 2014 was a nice experience to be part of the Smyth's team. They would give us enough hours to safe some money for the incoming year. I'd definitely work there again.
Pros
They pay taxi if you finish work after the buses working hours.
Cons
Hard work job
Not a great place to work, poor wages poor hours, expect to do the work of 2 people in alot less hours, no benefits what so ever, sunday rates or overtime if your lucky to get some is only a time and a third, even night work, which is only higher rate from 12am to 6am, I highly recommending affording smyths at all costs
Pros
No pros what so ever
Cons
Everything about the place
took 2 months from application to offer. Salary was good but not worth the cons. No work life balance long hours. Health and safety is implied as important but in reality it isn't on the floor and the deliveries. Unrealistic expectations at times. Very little staff discipline. If you happy to not have a balance be a manager here
Pros
salary
Cons
long hours heavy work load no work life balance
Working on tills andnightpack is hard cause thereare not enough people and u must stay longer.breaks are ok. They change the roaster every day,some people are cancelled without knowing.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Long hours, bad management, temporary job, no meals, no taxi in night shift
Managers pick favourites and if your not one they don't care about you hardly even talk to you, give you a hard time over basically nothing. not worth it.
Pros
good money
Cons
Work like balance was the only hard thing about this job, working 6 days for 6 to 8 weeks at Christmas but overall I enjoyed my time and if didn't have small family would still be there. Pay was average for management but quite low for staff.
Throw in no training and den give out when something is done wrong poor company no advance meant and no benefits stay clear expect alot not welling to train
I loved working in smyths all the staff were so friendly and I made some friends with them the hours were long but were set so I was delighted with that and I always got weekends off it was always busy which usually made the go go quick enough I was a Christmas temp but got very good pay and hours and was sad to leave but I wasn't needed after Christmas as it got very quiet and the hours weren't available
Pros
Friendly staff and management, staff discount
Cons
Wasnt really any
Good atmosphere,co-worker very cooperative overall had a good international experience.store manager was very honest and fun loving guy.seniors and all managers was handle the work very easily in busy time
Pros
Cons
Some times
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smyths Toys?
I highly recommend this workplace. Nice staff, amazing customers, and good salary. Hardest part of the job would be putting the products back in their places. I've never had a typical day at work.
Pros
Breaks and communicating with staff and customers
Cons
Overall working for this company is not bad, except for the management point of view. There is no consistency and no work logic whatsoever. Salary point of view.. Is just unacceptable for the amount of work you are expected to do. People do not respect each other, possibly because of the management way of working. There is absolutely no work-life balance, I've been told many times to come to work without prior notice even during my day off. Management has double standard towards the employees, which is absolutely unacceptable.
Pros
free trainings
Cons
management, salary, work-life balance
Great place to work. Management is fair. Long breaks. Training for new members isn't ideal but its easy to get the hang of things. Over all a happy work environment, everyone is always happy to help one another.
Pros
Long break
Cons
Work schedule only one week in advance
very lively place to work with a lot of chances to learn new things and get good experience. I really enjoyed being moved to different sections of the shop
Pros
working with a great team
Cons
very long shifts or 4 hour shifts
Managers all very welcoming and supportive. Very happy positive environment to work in, would highly recommend applying. Very seasonal job, 20-30 hours or more at xmas and you can be let go for a period of time until needed again during the summer.
Pros
pay is above minimum wage
Cons
no guaranteed job after christmas
Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

I found Smyths Toys an unprofessional environment where they don't want to pay for experience and have individuals who started with them on Reception as low skilled workers heading up departments such as Logistics and the Buyers Departments. These heads do not have other industry experience and are responsible for huge Revenues. This keeps salaries low as they don't want to pay for experience.

There is a culture of unpaid overtime it is even stated in your contract.

I observed that Smyths Toys have a huge turnover of office staff in their head office.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering
In order to have a business that is successful the workers have to be willing to work hard, being able to meet targets, having a good relationship with employees is important. being able to think off your feet is important also because it shows you can work under pressure and have imagination. The hardest part of the job would have to be working long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things everyday and having a good relationship with employees.
Pros
Good lunch hours
Great Atmosphere
No Benefits
No Pay rise
Strenuous work loads

Heavy Lifting unavoidable

A lot of strain on back

Expectations for daily workload often impossible to accomplish
No work culture
Poor management

No social aspect within the office

Get results for the company with a threat always over hanging

Great people work for a terrible work ethic
Pros
start time & lunch breaks
Cons
long hours, no days in lieu, working christmas
Other staff peers were friendly, but management was bad, hours changed twice a week, sometimes hours were scarce, others i would be working 50 hours per week
Pros
Other staff was friendly
Cons
Long hours, alot expected
I been in the company long time and you can clearly see that this company has only one in there head to earn more and spend less.
Would really not recommend to work for them
Cons
long hours on bussy peroids Christmas
A nice place to work as it has given me many benefits and good experience that I have used as a learning curve in my life. This job would be well suited to students or those looking for part time work.