Smyths Toys

Ireland161 reviews

Clear
3.0Pay & benefits

Fast Paced

Hard work. Fast paced. Good friends. Long hours. Deliveries are hard, customers sometimes not pleasant and hard to deal with. Can be fun sometimes. Good pay.

Wouldn't recommend it!

The staff and friends you make are friends for life. Management and operations need to have a serious rethink about how they run things. No life outside here. It says 40 hours on the contract but expect double

Pros

The friends you make

Cons

No life outside work, Management and operations take advantage, Tell you stop moaning when you tell them the facts

Fun workplace

It is a great shop to work in staff are very friendly to work withEasy to get time off if u need it off Also good for students

Pros

Discount

Bad place to work.

Very poor communication between menagment. Very little training, you are expected to know everything after day of work. Store always understaffed during busy period. Working week up to 6 days during Christmas time with crazy long shifts (14hrs). Staff underpaid. Poor contracts with as much as 8hours or no contract whatsoever. False promises given about progression onto managment so you could work more hrs and shifts and continue to work hard. When I confronted them about manager position (when one was available in my store) I was ignored and left with no answers.

Pros

1hr lunch, great staff to work with

Cons

Long shifts, false promises, underpaid, understaffed

It’s a job

I worked here for over a year .Started the week of the back Friday sales and was extremely busy , costumers can be good but a lot were awful .All contracts are flexi meaning it’s difficult to plan for days off and you may work after your rostered time depending on the day.If you can get on management great if not it’s bad.New staff had it the hardiest as they were not trained properly and thrown in, however the staff l worked were fantastic and very helpful. You were talked down to , screamed at and insulted over the headsets l never have seen anything like it before .The turnover with staff and management is awful and they do not know what they are doing.A lot of serious changes need to be fast with this company

Pros

The staff, discount, canteen

Cons

Planning days off, management, no training, long hours, no taxi for night pack

Very busy/ instable hours

Hours were very hard to maintain a work/life balance with. Contract work so hard to guarantee a future there past the three month intervals for the first year

Pros

Staff Discount

Cons

hours not set

Fun work place

It's a good place to work if you like retail management can be tough they are very contradicting one will tell you to do one thing and another will say that's wrong and don't their was it can be very frustrating

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Long hours late shifts

Management don’t care about there staff.

They change the roster at any time during the week and don’t inform staff. On one specific day I went into work believing I was starting at 5 (I had half hour journey to work), just to find the roster had been changed. I was now starting at 8. I was only text about the changing of my hours at 10 to 8 that day. They did this on numerous occasions which is complete disrespect to all staff, and shows no respect to any of there lives outside of work.

A very bad place to work

I would not recommend working in smyths the Management are rude and not one bit helpful they make you feel bad for asking a question and asking for help. They also talk about you right infront of you as if you can’t hear them. They make you feel very small as a person. They also don’t give you any training just expect you to know everything and then give out when you ask a question. Really would not Recommend working there.

Pros

Alright pay

Cons

Long hours non paid lunches rude management and no training provided.

Very poor work environment

Stores are ran on fear of upper management visits, 45 hours weekly for management (excluding lunches) so 50hrs on a normal week, however very rarely it would be this low, you are expected to constantly work overtime with no time in lieu, no work life balance whatsoever and this is before Christmas period, give up any hobbies or family at this time. Stressful environment with all staff in fear for their jobs and disciplinary meetings a very common occurrence for staff and at no point in my time there did any staff member say they enjoyed their job or could see themselves there long term. Benefits offered in interview are non existent and all depend on a very long length of service. Very poor staff discount when you take into account profits being made

Pros

It will provide plenty of opportunities to learn how to not treat staff

Cons

No work life, very poor benefits

no work life balance

took 2 months from application to offer. Salary was good but not worth the cons. No work life balance long hours. Health and safety is implied as important but in reality it isn't on the floor and the deliveries. Unrealistic expectations at times. Very little staff discipline. If you happy to not have a balance be a manager here

Pros

salary

Cons

long hours heavy work load no work life balance

Work is what you make it

it was a fun experience to work with smyths. Senior management have a poor attitude to store colleagues and very little support by way of coaching or ups killing. At store level it is enjoyable, you work hard but have the time you need and required to do a good job. I would recommend the experience but sadly not for somebody looking at management or to develop themselves or their career.

ok Place to work

Good place to work, not a good place to progress your career no advantages not enough training giving by mangers, mangers except so much with so little training, management make you feel really guilty for ringing in sick!! Other staff can be very bossy towards new staff as e everyone is young!

Good environment bad management

Working on tills andnightpack is hard cause thereare not enough people and u must stay longer.breaks are ok. They change the roaster every day,some people are cancelled without knowing.

Pros

Pay benefits

Cons

Long hours, bad management, temporary job, no meals, no taxi in night shift

fun

Managers pick favourites and if your not one they don't care about you hardly even talk to you, give you a hard time over basically nothing. not worth it.

Pros

good money

I love working here!

You get to meet so many new and young people with different backgrounds, it’s crazy! Everyone in my store is hardworking, nice and ready to help you if you’re not sure about something. They’re all so friendly, I didn’t expect it. The first week was hard to get the work-life balance in order and to remember all of the new information but once I settled in, it was a breeze. I love working here ans working at the tills.

productive and great managers

I work there for Christmas and it is the best opportunity i could ever have, I am excited to go into work everyday because of how nice everyone is. The managers are more than understanding and approachable. Everyone in Smyths Toy Store's like a big family.

Hard-work but funny place to work for

I learned how to tidy the shop and pack out toys. Night shifts are very exhausting, working on the stock for the next day. Closely work with customers. Management is very poor.

Fast paced, hard work, enjoyable

Work like balance was the only hard thing about this job, working 6 days for 6 to 8 weeks at Christmas but overall I enjoyed my time and if didn't have small family would still be there. Pay was average for management but quite low for staff.

Productive and serious about fun

Good company to work for. Very challenging environment. If you are a hard worker and love work under pressure this is place for you. Quick career progression.

Easy job but dead end

Job has No possibility for any career advancement which seems to makes managers very petty. Duty managers are competing with each other for a managers job which may never even become available. If you can put up with managers the job is easy and without much pressure

Pros

Handy work

Cons

Dead end

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7