Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

Seasonal work

Hard work on customer service phones A lot of disappointed customers Poor managers who didnt support their staffHours of work were not too bad Good parking facilities

Productive and serious about fun

Good company to work for. Very challenging environment. If you are a hard worker and love work under pressure this is place for you. Quick career progression.

I thought it would be a fun place to work

But unfortunately not for me I found the manager quite rude very ignorant to me and always treated me second-best . He wouldn’t treat all the staff the same he would treat the permanent staff better then he would for the Christmas stu he wouldn’t treat all the staff the same he would treat the permanent staff better then he would for the Christmas staff. When I went upstairs into the employee ease kitchen to receive a chair to bring down to the shopfloor to let an elderly lady sit down because she was on able to stand up the manager said to me where are you going with that chair I explained my reasons to him and he just said so what let her fall I was appalled I did not listen to him I brought the chair down and let the elderly lady sit down I would never work in that shop again

Pros

I didn’t see anything good to put down sorry

Cons

I was looking for more hours and they wouldn’t give them to me they give me three hours twice a week

Fun place to work

I loved working in smyths all the staff were so friendly and I made some friends with them the hours were long but were set so I was delighted with that and I always got weekends off it was always busy which usually made the go go quick enough I was a Christmas temp but got very good pay and hours and was sad to leave but I wasn't needed after Christmas as it got very quiet and the hours weren't available

Pros

Friendly staff and management, staff discount

Cons

Wasnt really any

Excellent experience

Good atmosphere,co-worker very cooperative overall had a good international experience.store manager was very honest and fun loving guy.seniors and all managers was handle the work very easily in busy time

Pros

Cons

Some times

Easy job but dead end

Job has No possibility for any career advancement which seems to makes managers very petty. Duty managers are competing with each other for a managers job which may never even become available. If you can put up with managers the job is easy and without much pressure

Pros

Handy work

Cons

Dead end

Great place to work wish o was back there!

Smith’s is a good company to work for with a positive working environment. The only problem I had was that the contract w to short. I would work there again if possible stRaight away, it was GOOD.

Pros

Good atmosphere and friendly

Cons

Contract was to short.

friendly young people to work with

Smyth´s Toys filled my need for a first temporary job having arrived in Ireland. It was a 4 months contract that I had that allowed me to pay my bills and to stand up and look for better opportunities, which I did.

Pros

close location to home

Cons

Uneasy adaptation start

Fun and fast paced environment

I worked for the month of December and being a toy store, we were busy from opening to close. It was a fun and exciting place to work and I got to meet people of all backgrounds

Pros

Meeting people

Cons

Busy

Staff is nice.

Had a lot of fun working with this company along side great team. Management could improve in being nicer to their staff, so there is less conflicts and gossip at the work place. Overall it is great place to work at.

Jobs at Smyths Toys

See more jobs

Productive, easy going place to work.

My time in Smyths was brief as I was Christmas staff but I found the staff/management very helpful with any of my own queries as regards to the work, great sense of team work within the staff to get the work done.

Pros

Taxi home provided for staff that work the night pack the morning after.

Cons

Can't think of any to be fair.

Awful place

Horrible company to work for. Bullying management and senior management. Crazy staff rotation. They don't care about long term members at all. No work/life balance whatsoever, you gonna be rang on your day off or you'll be expected to come in and drop all your plans. The job itself isn't bad at all, you can gain many skills like merchandising - only if their work ethic was better and they would treat employees with respect, not like another number. Store managers usually do nothing bar spending the day in the office, but they will expect everyone else to work on highest possible speed. Noone sticks to company policy either, why having it then at all? Won't even mention the hours, managers are doing average of 50h/week and not even getting paid for overtime. I would recommend it for young people as temporary job until they find something better.

Pros

Company invests in trainings eg. Customer service, first aid, forklift, departament trainings

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance, pressure, unfairness, bullying

fun work place

it was a great placement loved it so much always working as a team to get everything done. would of lover being there longer, they are great at helping and showing people were they need to go, it was great working for them because they helped me learn alot .

Pros

nothing

Cons

i only done school hours but wanted more love working

Overall a good place to work

Management were reasonable and flexible, they treated all staff well work was reasonable to, i always had something to do but wasn't under massive pressure to complete large amounts of work

A very interesting workplace

I highly recommend this workplace. Nice staff, amazing customers, and good salary. Hardest part of the job would be putting the products back in their places. I've never had a typical day at work.

Pros

Breaks and communicating with staff and customers

Acceptable but wouldn't recommend

Overall working for this company is not bad, except for the management point of view. There is no consistency and no work logic whatsoever. Salary point of view.. Is just unacceptable for the amount of work you are expected to do. People do not respect each other, possibly because of the management way of working. There is absolutely no work-life balance, I've been told many times to come to work without prior notice even during my day off. Management has double standard towards the employees, which is absolutely unacceptable.

Pros

free trainings

Cons

management, salary, work-life balance

A few enjoyable months

Although working there over Christmas, my job there was quite enjoyable, the team was nice. Very busy hours, but job was okay.

Fun place to work

Great place to work. Management is fair. Long breaks. Training for new members isn't ideal but its easy to get the hang of things. Over all a happy work environment, everyone is always happy to help one another.

Pros

Long break

Cons

Work schedule only one week in advance

Productive and good place to work.

I enjoyed working there, and learned a lot about the working world whilst working there. It was my first time working in a shop and with customers, up close.

Pros

Lots of people at a similar age to me.

Cons

Late nights at Christmas and a bit too far out of town.

Great place for a young person to work

very lively place to work with a lot of chances to learn new things and get good experience. I really enjoyed being moved to different sections of the shop

Pros

working with a great team

Cons

very long shifts or 4 hour shifts

productive and enjoyable workplace

I thoroughly enjoyed working here as it was a place that i spent a lot of my time in as a kid growing up. The staff were really welcoming and friendly. I learned a lot about safety management and customer care. It was my first job working in retail so everything was new to me. The shop is mainly directed towards children so i had to make sure they were in a safe and fun environment. the hardest part of the job was trying to remember what isle everything was on and helping customers to find what they were looking for as i was new and didn't know the shop layout yet. Most enjoyable part of the job was when i was able to help customers acquire what they were looking for without any complications or problems.

Pros

We got paid time and a third on Sundays.

Cons

Extremely busy days coming up to Christmas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement