Smyths Toys

Smyths Toys Employee Reviews

Seasonal work

Hard work on customer service phones A lot of disappointed customers Poor managers who didnt support their staffHours of work were not too bad Good parking facilities

Good enviornment

Good management, good place to work, fast pace, giving exceptional customer service and being part of the team, enjoyment to interact with customers, very helpful and friendly staff

Fantastic place to work

Managers all very welcoming and supportive. Very happy positive environment to work in, would highly recommend applying. Very seasonal job, 20-30 hours or more at xmas and you can be let go for a period of time until needed again during the summer.

Pros

pay is above minimum wage

Cons

no guaranteed job after christmas

Fun

I only did a weeks work expierence here but i did learn a lot about placement of items on shelfs correctly so popular items sell. I enjoyed my time working there

Depressing

While most staff members where friendly, I recieved an unfriendly welcome to the team where I was expected to know how everything worked immediately. The job is repetitive and and managment were at times extremely cold. Despite this some staff members are nice, the job is relatively simple and pay is not too bad.

Pros

Staff discount, Christmas bonus

Cons

Depressing environment

Productive and Fun workplace

great leadership skills, learned to deal with customers effectively. Great environment, co workers were very supportive. Fun place to work in. completely new experience

Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering I found Smyths Toys an unprofessional environment where they don't want to pay for experience and have individuals who started with them on Reception as low skilled workers heading up departments such as Logistics and the Buyers Departments. These heads do not have other industry experience and are responsible for huge Revenues. This keeps salaries low as they don't want to pay for experience. There is a culture of unpaid overtime it is even stated in your contract. I observed that Smyths Toys have a huge turnover of office staff in their head office.

Pros

Zero

Cons

Unprofessional, Culture Unpaid Overtime, Poor Salary Offering

Excellent workplace

Really enjoyed this job Amazing staff co workers Excellent pay Great hours Always look after there staff Great environment to work Brilliant training and excellent customer service

Pros

No lunches

Cons

Can be long hours only at christmas time

Bad management, poor benefits, bad hours.

0 respect for the employees, turnover rate high, not rewarding, management is just terrible, only viable to work here as a part time student otherwise it's not feasible.

Hard working and No adwards

Company is always pushing to be the best but is let down with lack of training and leadership. Anything new introduced always starts with IT issues and not planned out correctly.

Pros

Meet some good people

Jobs at Smyths Toys

See more jobs

Bad Overall

Cons, bad management horrible customer support systems and setup. Lots of in fighting amongst management. Management in the csr department don't like suggestions that might merit you knowing more then they do or instigating any possitove change outside of their understanding. They basically want drones. Smiths are a horrible company to work for look at other reviews.

Pros

Start finish time

Cons

Management, Company, Staff Treatment, Work Ethic, Job Role, Staff Turn Around

Terrible Company

Worst company I ever worked for. Make you work 6 days a week for 8 weeks coming up to Christmas, and don't pay you for the extra day they tell you it's included in your bonus - which I never got. Was supposed to be €1,000 which they tax! Terrible hours, 12 hours + a day, Christmas hours even worse. Head Office have no clue what they are doing. Staff are not trained well or properly and fear mystery shoppers everyday.

Wasnt good

Overall my experience with Smyths wasnt great. No system in place .Management kept contradicting each other. To me was very unprofessional money was bad and the night shifts were horrible as manager wasnt professional.

productive fun workplace

In order to have a business that is successful the workers have to be willing to work hard, being able to meet targets, having a good relationship with employees is important. being able to think off your feet is important also because it shows you can work under pressure and have imagination. The hardest part of the job would have to be working long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things everyday and having a good relationship with employees.

Pros

Good lunch hours

Busy and enjoyable

Very busy, hard work but enjoyable. Work required a lot of interaction with customers as well as a need to have a high level of knowledge of the products the company offered the customer. Management communicated well with staff and customers. The workplace environment was very friendly but hard working. The hardest part of the job was dealing with certain customers.

Busy and Enjoyable Experience

A busy friendly work environment. Valuable experience gained, communication and leadership skills enhanced significantly. Working off one's own initiative was required in times of low customer amounts. The management communicated well with staff. The hardest part of the job was juggling all of the various tasked asked by customers. The most enjoyable part was the interaction between staff members and also with the customers.

fun place to work, but terrible management.

A typical day at work would start off by getting the delivery out, whilst doing this helping any customer that have any questions or issues. constantly facing off and ensuring there are no health and safety hazards at all on the shops premises(this is taken very seriously) I learned a lot such as my limits as to how much i myself can work, and how hard, how to deal with aggressive customers, manage important top sale lines. the hardest part of the job was defiantly night pack. i did 15+ hour shift almost every night 5-6 days a week, 5 people with 7 large aisle packed out an entire shop every night. we would arrive at 9pm every night and all the shelves would be empty, by opening we just managed to restock them. The most enjoyable part of the job was genuinely interacting with the customers and having the craic with them and helping them out. also the staff in Smyths are usually 25 and below so its always a fun working environment.

Pros

10% staff discount

Cons

very long hours

Productive,Fun and Laidback

It was a great place to work.A normal workday would be fast paced and quite busy which required you to be organised,patient and have good customer services skills.You are required to learn every specification of all toys and be able to solve most problems put forward to you.

Cons

No job security

I loved working in smyths toys . The management and staff were very friendly. Each day i would do a number of tasks like stock deliveries, tidying the shop , work on till if shop was busy , mechandise the stock and if manager was busy i would cash up at the end of day . The hardest part about working there was christmas time as I did the night pack each year and we would be under a lot of pressure to have shelves stocked on time. My only reason for leaving was because I had a new baby and had no childcare.

Great Work

I was on the floor during the busiest season which was Christmas. Had great experience working here as I had never worked in a retail or pretty much anything it was my first job. It was great being able to communicate with customers daily.

Pros

got discount off when purchased over certain amount

productive and fun workplace

All staff were very nice and fun to work with. Always kept busy but without feeling stressed. Staff recieve discounts on most stock which is good. Over all a nice place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smyths Toys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement