Sonas Nursing homes

Sonas Nursing homes Employee Reviews

Ireland39 reviews

Lots of positives

I left Sonas for an agency job last year and i really miss the place to be honest. Had its ups and downs but I miss being part of one group of people and getting to know the same residents really well. I can see myself go back again in the future.

Pros

The group and the residents.

Good environment to work in

Love working with the residents. Staff work well as a team. Good management. Get good hours and days off. Training provided. Well organised so that the day runs smoothly.

Do not apply if you value your mental health

Very poor work life balance.€10.50 an hour for HCAs working for absolutely nothing it's an insult for the job we do.Always short staffed because nobody in their right mind would take that pay over what other places are paying.Very high stress environment.

Staff are just a number on a payroll

Understaffed everyday OverworkedAnd underpayedA company just interested in money Carers that keep the place going and never a thank you or given credit The budget comes before everything

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hours always short staffed

Sonas nursing homes want the best quality care for their residents. I would recommend above other employers in this type of work.

Working at Sonas is very satisfying work.The hours per day are long but you get more days off which is nice.Sonas has supportive & kind managers which is not always the case in other places I have worked.Like every work place Sonas has many nice kind staff who will go out of their way to help you but also there are a small number who like to constantly complain.Working through covid has been tough but we have all pulled together as a team for our residents and each other.If you are not afraid of hard work and you are a ‘people person’ I would strongly recommend Sonas as a place to work.

Pros

Free Lunches. Rewarding Meaningful Work.

Cons

Covid restrictions. This type of work is generally not well paid.

I love it

I work in Innis Ree Lodge. Morning routines can be busy but I love the job so far. I have made good friends since starting and its a very rewarding job. Tough going during a pandemic but that kind of makes it more worthwhile you know you are there for the residents at a really important time. The management are very approachable and kind and most of the team are really good to each other. My training was really good and no major complaints so far.

lovely place to work

I have loved the job since starting. Its hard work but really rewarding. The residents are so lovely to be around. I wasnt here for the old management but I really like it here and would would recommend it to anyone.

Nine out of ten

I only got started as a carer about in the last 18 months. Sonas let me come in and get trained up and now I could never go back to a normal shop job again. Its so rewarding knowing that you are making a difference to people. When the home is closed to visitors you are the main social link the residents have and its great to be there for them. Pay could definitely be a little better but I know that im just starting out.

Pros

So rewarding

Love it

Love my job as carer. Some of the residents are like your own family after a few years. Wreaked at the end of a long day but it is worth it to know you are helping someone else.

Excellent for career progression

Sonas is a great company to work for as a nurse if you are interested in career progression. If you make it clear that you want to move up in the company and are willing to to work for it you can definitely make great career progress here. I would happily recommend working at Sonas.

very good

i was very happy working in sonas. i made a lot of really good friends and the residents feel like your own family after you have been there for a while. hope to go back some day.

Pros

the residents.

One of the best jobs I've had.

Really love my job. Feels like you are making a difference. Especially during Covid you really get to be there for the residents. The people I work with are sound. Its busy but once you get used to that its great. I usually work three 12 hour shifts so its great to get all of your hours in like that.

Pros

Free meals, meaningful job, nice people.

Cons

Busy

This company exploits your kindness

A typical day will have you dragging yourself out of bed still wrecked from the day before, to start another which is understaffed, even before someone on the shift calls in sick, which is every second day at least. Understaffing means that you have to rush to take care of residents, they don't get the time they deserve, and you are under serious physical pressure. There are some lovely residents in the home, and your relationship with them will validate that you are doing something good, but you will not have time to support them emotionally. For the money you earn (minimum wage) you are expected to give full personal care, toileting and incontinence care, and while on night shift, you are still doing this for minimum wage. You will assist 7-9 people up between 8-11am. Staff: well, we have a very mixed bag here. Some are lovely people and will give you all the support you could hope for. Some, will cut you down, be hostile, refuse to assist you, absolutely not support you, and in extreme cases will shout at you, threaten you, become physically hostile. These staff members have been reported, and are still employed, so don't expect any change. Management pretend to care about you, but you're just a number, a box to tick, for as little cash as possible. Overall: spare yourself. I learned a lot, but some things that I'd rather not have.

Pros

Residents

Cons

Hostile work environment, very poor money, exhaustion.

All work together to meet all the reisdents needs

I started working in Sonas Carrick on Suir when it opened. We all worked together from the beginning and have come together as a great team. We do all we can to make sure the reisents receive the best care we can give them. We have an excellent PIC who looks after all her staff and is always really supportive.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Understaffed, overworked , underpaid!

Some Lovely staff who work very hard and are great team players and exceptional carers , with the exception of some others unfortunately who were not! Very fast paced environment where I feel residents do not get the full attention they deserve due to rush rush rush!! Not enough time due to lack of staff and poorly thought out routines , constant staff shortages , mentally and physically draining , huge stress on staff . Its just a business for sonas Very little thought for the residents although most staff go above and beyond to ensure residents needs are met to the best of there ability and time constraints . The pay is terrible for the workload , and very little pay increases for long term staff members . The residents are fantastic and a joy to care for . If u want to gain a bit of experience and knowledge there are wonderful staff that will mentor you but overall I'd say avoid if possible , the more you do the more your expected to do . Long shifts and always rang to cover shifts on your days off , very poor work life balance .

Pros

Fantastic residents

Cons

Long hours, poor pay and poor work life balance

Rewarding job

Really enjoy my job as a healthcare assistant. I've worked mostly in retail before this and I can say that this is the most rewarding job I've ever done. The managers are great and I've made some really close friends.

Pros

Free lunches.

Cons

Shifts are long but you do wind up with more days off.

Over All nice place to work

I worked as a healthcare assistant at Sonas Athlone and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The staff were so friendly and easy to get on with and there was a lovely team spirit atmosphere there. the residents were well looked after and seemed very happy.The managers were very fair and accommodating when it came to requesting days off. I only left as I was Moving back back home to Galway. I would work here again.

Pros

free lunches (yummy), Nice place to work

Cons

Pay could be a littlebetter

Absolute kip

I worked here for 1 year and I hated every minute.. staff and management are mostly unapproachable with the exception of 1 or 2. Work load is an absolute joke for the wage. Hated that the residents had to stick to a certain routine.. forcing elderly people up from their beds at 8am is not something I favoured. I would rather live on the side of the road than work in Sonas to be honest... please avoid avoid avoid.

Pros

Dinners are free

Cons

The whole place

Nice environment to work in

I started working in Sonas in January 21. So far I am really enjoying my role and there is a lovely vibe in the home. it is fast paced especially with all the covid restrictions and it took time to get to know the residents as there is a lot to learn, there is great training provided and the managers have given me lots of support and guidance. I can really see that everyone genuinely cares about the residents and their quality of life. I am happy working here.

Pros

Free meals, free parking, lovely environment

Nice staff.

Staff a nice and friendly, well most of them. Work hours can be long. After a 12 hour shift your basically leaving for work in morning and coming home at night. You just want to sleep. Before you know it your awake again and back in. Can bé difficult to see friends and family.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long work hours.

A very calm, relaxed, friendly work place. Striving to continue to provide excellent care to our Resident's.

I commenced in my role as Person in Charge with Sonas Nursing Home Tullow, in September 2020. I was provided with a sufficient induction period prior to commencing. The Nursing Home is a beautiful purpose built facility. Our resident's care is extremely important to us. We provide 24 hour nursing care. We aim to provide a home from home experience for our resident's. All aspects of our Residents care is attended to on a daily basis. MDT input is easily accessible as necessary. Sonas have a comprehensive Governance and Management structure. Our Nursing Home has a Quality Manager allocated to oversee the governance of the home. Senior management are easily accessible and supportive at all times.Our Nursing Home is a very welcoming environment. Staff are very kind, warm and friendly. There is a happy, positive atmosphere in the home.The most difficult part of the job is when our Resident's pass away.The most enjoyable part of the Job is providing quality care and making a difference in somebody's life.

Pros

Free meals, EAP scheme, Free on site parking, Annual pay review, Vouchers, Living the Sonas dream award, First Tunic and name badge free of charge

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonas Nursing homes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement