Spar Employee Reviews

Found 100 reviews matching the search See all 1,774 reviews
Fun workplace but bad management
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlow7 May 2019
Easy place to work
Terrible pay
Bad management
Enjoyed working with the certain people
People hired and fired/left constantly
Manager did not put trust in workers
Pros
People
Cons
Bad pay and management
Great place to learn but no area for promotion
Till Operator/Supervisor trained (Current Employee) –  Monasterevin, County Kildare27 April 2019
I've worked here for a number of years and in those years I seen alot of staff come and go. With just a few years experience there I am the longest working till assistant. Very little gratitude from management but fellow staff and supervisors are an amazing team when giving any task. Completely new change in managment and co-managment left work environment uneasy and sometimes hostile as targets and expectation have been raised to an unbeatable level.
Pros
30% discount on pricey deli
Cons
No gratitute, prices on everything, level of work expected
Excellent place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  IE26 April 2019
I ddi work for Spar in Ireland as an Area manager and was my first job after graduating from college. great place to work especially an excellent franchise.
Productive and a great place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 April 2019
I liked working in spar a lot because I got to learn new skills and grow each day in the job. I grew a lot of confidence through out this job working with people on a daily basis
good place to work
Deli Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dublin5 March 2019
have a lot of different things to do as making snadwitchs, doing paper work and filling up everyone, its a good place to work and everyone is so kind to everyone
Lovely place to work
Forecourt Attendant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal15 February 2019
Lots of employees but all of them work great as a team. The shop is always kept to a high standard and the forecourt was always well maintained. Everyone was very jolly and happy in this work place. Also the free dinners for employees is a great idea after all everyone works their hardest to keep the shop as high standard as they demand to be.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Really busy place to work.
Busy & Organised Retail Outlet
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Limerick4 February 2019
This was a large & busy Spar outlet with a large product range, a busy delicatessen, & early & late opening hours. There was a large staff of (mostly) part-timers, who worked well as a team. I learned a lot about rostering & managing a large group of staff as well as maintaining stock levels & merchandising.
Pros
Excellent grounding in retail management.
Cons
Unsocial hours.
great job no advancement
shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Bruckless2 October 2018
I worked at SPAR for 8 years in them 8 years I never got a pay rise or an opportunity to advance. This is not a reflection on me or my work but because there was just no opportunity to there was people working there longer than me and they do did not have an opportunity to advance.
Pros
great staff, friends made
Cons
no opportunities
Moderately good part time work
Sales Assistant/Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glasthule, County Dublin19 September 2018
I had many responsibilities during my time in Spar. My days behind the till would usually consist of keeping everything behind the till in order such as the cigarette machine topped up, ensuring the bins were emptied frequently, greeting customers with a positive attitude and most importantly keeping the till in impeccable order.

I have dealt with people from all walks of life in Spar which is a positive thing in my opinion. I have learnt how to deal with many difficult customers in a professional manner so they are satisfied with their experience once they have left the shop.

Having a positive and healthy relationship with your work colleagues as well as superior management is something that is important to me also. Through my time in retail I always had good rapport with my work mates in order to achieve a productive shift.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
On occasions I would work 12 hour shifts which would not be my first choice of shift length.
Good job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 July 2018
Spar was a really nice place for me to start it was close to where I live so it was really handy some of the locals worked there and made me feel really comfortable
Pros
Easy to work
Cons
Not many hours availbe when i worked
Fun workplace
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork25 June 2018
I had to serve rolls and sandwiches to customers and helped the customers if they had a complaint. I gained great experience with communication skills.
Pros
Get my lunch here
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  County Galway15 June 2018
busy day but if your people management skills are good then no issue for you. The company suits an organised individual who can delegate and negotiate with staff and suppliers alike.
Pros
Your own business
Productive and fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin12 May 2018
A typical day would be either a 6 or 8 hour shift sometimes 4 hours. I would be on the tills, taking deliveries, stock rotating or cleaning the shop. I took a lot out of working in Spar as I gained many new skills and got on well with management. The workplace was very nice and I enjoyed going to work there whenever I was in work.
Pros
Employees and employers were very nice
Sales Assistant and Delicatessen Worker
Sales Assistant and Delicatessen Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackrock, County Dublin2 May 2018
-Serving customers
-Managing money
-Cleaning the shopand deli area
-Making food for customers
-Restocking products
productive
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket on Fergus, County Clare24 April 2018
great environment
great people
love the buzz from working here
staff discount
great customers
always up for a laugh
nice handy hours
great deals on products
Pros
staff discount
Fun and Great Staff
Retail (Current Employee) –  Shankill, County Dublin16 April 2018
One of the best places with the best staff that is always happy and loving like a family. They always put the costumer first but at the same time respect the staff.
Pros
Staff Discount on lunch
Great Staff Relationship's
Cashier in shop (Former Employee) –  Dublin6 April 2018
I really enjoyed working as a team, due to the fact no matter what job we had we wore all treated equally, i.e. the manager had the same respect as the deli assistant.
Fun work place
Sale Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin27 March 2018
this shop teaches me how to be a good cashier and I learned a lot skills from here. Such as how to identify the cash.There is no hard part of the job cause if you have any problem then other stuff gonna help you to settle this together.So the work environment is the most enjoyable part of the job
great staff
Trainee Deli Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin13 March 2018
When I worked there, which is a quiet some time ago. The staff was lovely, there was a great team work.
Long hours, especially on public bank holidays.
Pros
great team work
Store manager
Worked 4 years in the SPAR shop , (Former Employee) –  Limerick26 January 2018
The store manager is very attentive to the store's employees .

It was my first job. I was greeted very friendly in this store , they explained and showed how to work it was very helpful .
Thank to them for everything !!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spar. Our community is ready to answer.