Spar Employee Reviews

I worked on Spar Lower Abbey Street in Dublin City Centre in 2018 for a number of months. The management was very professional and the store owners were exceptional people and it was great to get to know some good entrepreneurs. As far as I'm concerned SPAR is a great entry-level job or for unskilled workers or for someone looking to just get by during college. The pay is understandably uncompetitive but it is an easy job where you will learn some valuable customer service skills. If you are interested you will also become familiar with how convenience stores turnover a profit through the successful running of day to day business and this will be a valuable footstone in progressing into the business world or into higher management in other supermarket chains. To conclude it's a great stepping stone for someone starting out but don't stay there too long.
Pros
great stepping stone.
Cons
poor pay unsocial hours (sometimes) early mornings
Great PeopleGreat StaffNever Any Problems With Wages Lots of OvertimeOne of The Best Retail Company's Out There Uniform Is Free AlsoStaff Discounts on Food and DrinksGreat Places To Gain Experience The Job Itself is Handy Out Overall Spar is a Good Place To Be
Pros
Great Job with No Stress
Cons
A polish group that protect themselves. They get the best shifts, best tasks, never have hours cut (because the manager is polish). Then, they literally take advantage of you. The manager is ridiculous. Don't want problems, bossy, dumb, bully and rude, even with customers. If you are not Irish or Polish, you will be bullied. They blame you for everything and give you the worst tasks. Not recommend this branch. The customers on the area are not nice. Some of them really stink.
Pros
Cons
Team. Bad customers.
Blackrock store was owned independently, by a man out to cut every corner in the business. Officials visited the store several times over previous employees' wages not being paid. Place had fly/insect problems that were overlooked, pipes bursting, grease trap overflowing. Agreements were made to increase wages after 3 months, but were never honored. Manager had been there 20+ years and was extremely reluctant to train assistant manager in fear of her own position being taken.
Pros
Friendly staff/customers
Cons
Poor management
I have enjoyed working in Spar. The best aspects of the job are the customer service aspect, getting to know and developing a rapport with regular customers. I have learned valuable skills, such as cash handling and balancing, stock management, responsibilities such as invoicing, ordering and managing deliveries.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Spar is fast paced, hands on and if you're not afraid to get stuck in then you can advance quickly. You will generally learn all dept. Which is good..
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
It was alright to working but gets boring when you done everything you get a hour brake but still if feels like your in there a lot longer than you are.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Working hours that is not needed
No chance to have all the work done on time.You start you work at 6 am( in real life 5:50) and you are expected to have most of the bread done before tea break at 9am.Before lunch you have to do the same bread again plus yeast bread and rolls.After lunch same bread again.
Working here required me to be a fast learner because of the rapid work environment. The work was physically demanding and i was on my feet all day but i enjoyed the sense of duty with doing things under pressure and being required to be alert . The other staff members were extremely easy going and management was always understanding and fair. My salary was good for my hours but there were no job benefits as such
Pros
Learning alot about customer service, staying alert, friendly staff
Cons
No job benefits
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Spar?
Its ok to work at spar if you are beginner. Good for part time working students. But for long time NO. It wont fill the living cost of Dubliners. Also there is no any discounts for staff if the buying anything from there.
I worked in this company, to find that the management unless you a yes at every step, dont bother going. Work here is easy but very busy. I found here not as good as most places Theres no pay, I know I was on higher wage than the poor girl that was there a little bit longer than me Some are very nice to work with but some make your life into depression mood. - the main manager didnt want to know of bullies if it wasn't coming from the deli manager(whom was the biggest bully along with her so called friend)
Very good job, fast paced work Very. My main tasks was stacking shelves Taking out rubbish Cleaning Taking notes of what was needed and what was missing
Manager in ballycummin raheen has no respect or care for he's employees best thing I ever did was leave, no appreciation for the work you do no matter how hard you work even working until 11 at night and back in at half 6 the following morning
Pros
Other employees were lovely to work with met good friends
Cons
Hours are guaranteed and no appreciation for your hard work
Each and everyone of the staff seemed to know each other well and everyone was easy going while still getting all the work done for the day. Nothing stressful while still keeping you busy.
An honest days work, you get paid for your time. Nothing is incredibly tasking but it is consistent work. Main enjoyments were dealing with customers, would not recommend if not good with people.
It was fun to work there. I was able to effectively work in the environment and was allocated to the section that I requested to be allocated to. I would work there again.
Was treated so unfairly. Was paid such a horrific wage, and was treated horribly from the get go. Many of my colleagues mistakes or errors were pinned on me, and I was wrongfully accused of many things. Horrible. Management haven’t a clue.
Pros
Cons
No discount. No free lunch. Horrible management. Horrible staff. Unfriendly.
Good job for a student or young person. The pace was very slow and sometimes boring but meant for a laid back working environment. Enjoyed my time here.
It is a great opportunity for who is starting working. The manager teaches everything you need to know and the experience is not necessary. Also, the payment is always on time.
I can only be thankful to that opportunity since it helped me lot on my journey here in Dublin. I's a serious place to work, organized and easy to learn.
I have enjoyed working in Spar. The best aspects of the job is the customer service aspect, getting to know and developing a rapport with regular customers. I have learned valuable skills, such as, cash handling and balancing, stock management, responsibilities such invoicing, ordering and managing deliveries. The benefit of being a diligent worker in Spar is that management will notice your enthusiasm and will encourage you to learn more about the daily operations of the shop.
  1. Employee reviews