Spar Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,631 reviews
I have enjoyed working in Spar. The best aspects of the job are the customer service aspect, getting to know and developing a rapport with regular customers. I have learned valuable skills, such as cash handling and balancing, stock management, responsibilities such as invoicing, ordering and managing deliveries.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Learned fundamentals of retail industry in terms of controlling,ordering and selling product to the customers.
Relationship between management and staff ,communication regarding the products shortage and needs.

Spar its all about hoping to have customer back and able to save their needs in right time.

Only difficult time is when to explain to customers of out of stock and their reactions.

The great part of job is everyday lessons and experience.

The pressure since itwas towards christmas and new year was a lot, But regardless, people where welcoming and made sure we are happy. The hardest part was when the shop would get full.
I enjoyed my time at Spar, I found my colleagues friendly and the management approachable, and it was a good place to learn new skills. I would recommend Spar as an employer.
Pros
Friendly cooleagues, approachable management
Cons
Could be long hours
It was a quality service. The boss was fantastic, nothing extreme was ever asked for me and the hours worked around my life style. Over all great experience and fantastic job.
It will make me talk with many peoples and handling the customer so kind it will make me a change our character to became kind and cool to people kind
Pros
Customer handling
Cons
Very busy with queues building every minute , never was standing idle always was moving, packing and facing off shelves and checking dates.
Helping customers which improved my social skills.

Cons
No breaks
Spar is fast paced, hands on and if you're not afraid to get stuck in then you can advance quickly. You will generally learn all dept. Which is good..
Pros
Meeting people
Management is poor

Not challenging

No time for family

People are incompetent
Pros
Cons
Abnormal hours
No es un sitio al que aspiro trabajar pero esta bien. Cuando tengo que trabajar en algo aunque no sea lo que me gustaria doy el 100%.
Pros
Tenia un dto. en comida
Cons
Estaba lejos de mi casa
Beaucoup de stress en permanence, direction toujours sur le dos, beaucoup de reproches et peu de reconnaissance.
Pros
Récupération des produits dont la DLC était passée.
Cons
Difficile au quotidien.
It was alright to working but gets boring when you done everything you get a hour brake but still if feels like your in there a lot longer than you are.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Working hours that is not needed
It was good working there i learn how to give a good service to a customers and to work as a tim to treat every custom equal as costume is always right for me i didn't see a hard part
Worked at local spar for a year. Good staff and hard workers never get chance to move up but laziest people and bullies always get a food on the ladder.

Customers generally nice some grumpy rude but doesn't help when supervisors wont help you and leave people queued all the way to the back of the store.

Enjoyed working with just a few. The rest shouldn't be there.
Pros
Free uniform, cheap items at closing
Cons
Min wage, long shifts, unpaid breaks, always asked to cover last minute and at weekends, poor management
Great place to work. To start off your career, they have good benefits. I started off in one department and got a promotion but didn’t expect the job to be the way it is.
i worked for spar for around 8 years and the job its self was not really hard it could be busy at times and on delivery days would come home knowing you had worked but it was a nice job I was a supervisor so had a bot of responsibility wich I enjoyed i liked getting to know the regular customers
Pros
customers and sme of the staff
they need to have a good management line and culture, allow young people to grow and able to recognise people skill sets and potentials.
apply demographics in their management and acknowledge equality.
Cons
Het leukste van de baan was dat je altijd in contact kwam met nieuwe mensen. En iedereen heeft een ander verhaal , ik vond het altijd heel leuk om een kort gesprek te voeren met de klanten.
Pros
Lage werkdruk
Cons
Was vrij rustig
Ausgezeichnet bei spar zu Arbeit es hat alles gepasst und passt auch alles .
Pros
Alles
Cons
Keine
it was a franchise so the culture was not the same as different spars and it would rotate to a few other company's so this does not affect spar as whole company
Hours were long, throw you onto the tills if you’re a girl while the boys stand around the back having smoke breaks. They crack up when there’s customers waiting to be served yet when you ring the bell no one comes to help. I was on the deli and the manager is so sneaky, won’t say nothing to your face but will happily go to higher management, when confronted she takes it thick resulting going to higher management again. Double standards, manager won’t confront her friend but will happily tell other members off (usually through text), no communication through anyone, honestly I think my store wasn’t well organised.
Pros
10% discount and fuel
Cons
Unorganised, double standards