Spar Employee Review

A very friendly work environment

21 September 2015
In the morning its very busy with customers getting their morning coffee and breakfast. I got to know the regulars very well and theirs generally a good rapport with all the locals. Theirs always something to do, be it taking in the milk and papers in the morning, keeping the tills full of change and sending excess cash up the chute, restocking the shelves when new stock comes in, rotating it accordingly. We also keep the shop clean and tidy, making sure nothing runs out and that customers can avail of the products easily by front facing the items on the shelves. I learned a lot on how a shop is run and have a lot more respect for people in the retail business as it is a very important job. Being friendly to the customers is extremely important and i realise when your as helpful as possible they'll always come back because it makes them feel welcome. I got along well with my co-workers and they were always there for me when i needed help. We had a good team that ran very smoothly. I have to say the hardest part of my job was learning how to use the till and all the various cards that customers used. I got used to it after a month. I liked when the shop was busy and greeting all the customers. I feel better when i'm being productive.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Working every weekend
7 May 2019
Same role
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) - Carlow
Easy place to work
Terrible pay

Bad management

Enjoyed working with the certain people

People hired and fired/left constantly

Manager did not put trust in workers
Pros
People
Cons
Bad pay and management
3 January 2019
Same role
Shop Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) - Northern Ireland
Productive and fun workplace for the time I spent in Eurospar. Although I never seen it as a permanent job for me, but only for this job funding me through university I would never have graduated therefore I am forever grateful for the opportunity to work in the shop.
8 September 2020
Same location
Work Experience (Former Employee) - Dublin
I have enjoyed working in Spar. The best aspects of the job are the customer service aspect, getting to know and developing a rapport with regular customers. I have learned valuable skills, such as cash handling and balancing, stock management, responsibilities such as invoicing, ordering and managing deliveries.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
Long Hours