Specsavers Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillorgan18 September 2019
lovely staff, great learning environment. Career progression if desired with in house training and external courses available. high traffic store and good location
Ballina needs a new manager
Opticial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballina, County Mayo9 September 2019
The work is great, the customers are lovely. Only fault with Ballina Branch is a director who does not appreciate her staff and is extremely rude in her dealing with staff and customers alike. Very high turn over in staff very few there longer than a year.
Pros
The work is enjoyable
Cons
No training, very unhelpful, negative manager.
Great work place always room for progression
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin8 May 2019
So the company is great to work for and the team that I work with where amazing they offer free glasses and make sure all team members are looked after as it is a stressful environment
Pros
Free glasses
Toxic Work environment
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin1 February 2019
The worst toxic environment I have ever had the misfortune to work in, bias inept management. Different rules for different staff a joke really. Lack of communication between manager and staff very unprofessional.
Not the best company if you want to keep your confidence up as negativity is definitely the order of the day.
Pros
I met some nice staff/customers. Reduction in cost of frames
Cons
Unprofessional & Bias management. Not a good working environment
Alot of learning for a minimum wage job
Dispensing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford30 December 2018
Most staff were nice but the ones who weren't outweighed them!! A lot of bullying & favoritism among staff and also management, i enjoyed the work itself & dealing with the public was nice, most days!! Hifh emphasis on upselling, whether the customer needed r not, unless your sales were high management not happy. High staff turn over at the moment, if certain staff members want you gone they will make it there business by any means possible to see it happens, saw it done to others and my experience was similar. I wouldn't recommend this place for a job to be honest, individually most staff were lovely but as a click/ group Nasty is the only word that springs to mind!!
Pros
No late nights
Cons
Bullying, low pay
Dont get comfortable. The girls will chew you up and spit you out.
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath21 December 2018
The management are nice here, however your position here is only safe if the other girls like you. The atmosphere is very click and its not an easy place to fit in- especially if you have kids. It is not family friendly. It is èxtremly clicky. If you can overcome those things it's grand. I liked it unfortunately I didn't fit in.
Pros
Nice clean place
Cons
Clicky
No prospects low morale
Optical and Dispensing assistant (Current Employee) –  Cork29 November 2018
Blatant favouritism among certain members of staff. People who do the exact same work or less on more money based on again favouritism. Director too mean to order sufficient supply of frame stock to sell so making our job extra hard. Won't order designer cases so constantly explaining to customers we are 'out of stock'. Forever cleaning up mistakes due to severe lack of communication. A real 'pass the buck' culture. Constantly Short staffed. Dirty & Broken or faulty equipment. I could write all day how many things make our job so hard and demoralising! Have to beg for holidays. Have to give a years notice to get them. Never any gratitude or appreciation for a job well done. Just constant negativity and it's really soul destroying.
Pros
Cons
Favouritism Unfair pay No prospects or opportunities Low morale
Dynamic.
Ophthalmic Dispensing Assistant (Current Employee) –  dublin28 September 2018
I enjoy being busy so this worked for me, alot to be desired in internal working structure regarding management but staff build great bonds. Customers are very specific and it is not a position in this area to be taken lightly.
Pros
free glasses
Cons
long hours, shift work, unpaid lunches.
The titanic blindly heading for an iceberg
Pile of dirt (Former Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin19 September 2018
Worked in a branch in North Dublin, my colleagues were mostly very nice, but apart from maybe 2 people who held the place together, there was a collective incompetence.

The store manager is a spiteful little bully with major ego and anger issues, and no respect whatsoever for the people he shares a workplace with. Sadly, he's backed by inept higher ups.

Avoid at all costs.
Pros
A few nice co workers
Cons
Poisonous atmosphere, clueless management
Enjoyable place to working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlow29 January 2018
Working a specsavers gave me the chance to interact with different types of people everyday, it brought my personality and confidence on and also gave me the opertunity and experience being involved with a sales team
Company has a good business pity about the JVPs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dublin23 January 2018
Good company, directors treat staff like slaves, no pay rises no bonuses no gratitude overworked and seriously underpaid expect minimum wage for life.
work was grand run by clowns
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 January 2018
poor pay no bonus or benefits. expected to do management duties with no extra pay. sexist comments from director and management, would not recommend to work here
Pros
customers are lovely
Cons
poor pay and no bonus
Internship worked
Intern (Former Employee) –  Arklow, County Wicklow10 July 2017
For the weeks internship that I spent here, I spent many days working on one monotonous task, it was clear to me that by taking me on, they didnt want to teach me but work me in ways they didn't want to. This would have been fine if they had thought me some more but the overall learning experience was poor.
Good
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ireland5 November 2016
it was good but fairly boring waiting for people to come to you to enquire and ask for information. great pay and friendly staff.
i worked 3 hours a day, for three days a week. i set up promotional stands and stayed by the stand, ready to answer any queries from customers or passers by.
hours dragged because shopping centre was a generally quiet one.
every second week, i had to wear an ear costume which was unbelievably hot.
pay was great. €9.15 per hour.
Pros
very very flexible, great summer job
Cons
boring, had to wear an ear costume every second week which was HOOOOOOOT
Not a bad place to work starting off
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin12 May 2016
Its fine as a starter job but wouldn't recommend it as a career very hard work on your feet all day always busy and stressful. No matter how well you seem to do its never enough th y always want more which kind of let's customer service side down which is not fair on workers as we are under pressure to get more tests in sell more and serve customers quicker
Pros
Given loads of training
Cons
Monthly wages, bonus not great if given
We have created a great team.
Optical Assistant (Internship Programme) (Former Employee) –  Cork8 February 2016
We have created a great team. Working together with all these people and being a part of it was a really good experience. There were trainings and different career opportunities available.
Pros
Friendly Atomosphere
Cons
Long Shifts
Good company to start off
Store supervisor / Contact lense supervisor (Current Employee) –  Clondalkin1 February 2016
Great company to start off with if you are interested in getting in to optics, as they give you a lot of training. Pay isn't great to be honest but the amount of training the company offers out ways this. As i said its a great company to start off with.
Pros
The training you recieve
Cons
Pay
Stressful at times
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork15 January 2016
Lack of opportunity to advance on a monetary level. A lot of titles and extra responsibility but no extra money to back it up. no benefits
fabulous team
Optical Assistant, I (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 November 2015
Loved working with the team we all got on so well, we were required to book patients in for appointments, pre test them before the optician saw them and then help with choices of lenses and frames to suit their prescriptions. The prospects for young people joining this organisation are fantastic, I personally felt that trying to balance my home life and a very busy job was too much for me at this time but would have no hesitation recommending this organisation.
Pros
fabulous team members
Cons
very stressful at times
a nice place to work
optical assistant /supervisor (Former Employee) –  bewbrudge1 June 2015
I worked for them for 15 years and was very enjoyable place to work . I left as I felt I needed to do something else with my life.
Pros
enjoyable nice staff
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specsavers. Our community is ready to answer.