Specsavers logo
Specsavers

Specsavers Employee Reviews

Found 33 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,222 reviews

Depends on the store

Physically and mentally draining, very pressurised environment and directors who do not communicate. No salary structure, no reviews. Pay does not reflect amount of work done

Pros

Career progression and experience

Cons

Stress

Staff are treated terribly

Working at Spec Savers is nothing but toxic. You are constantly forced to make sale targets and as an employee you are totally under appreciated. There is always work you have to do at home after a day of work which makes it hard to switch off. Don’t waste you time applying.

Cons

Underpaid, under appreciated, over worked

Nice workplace

I only worked at Specsavers as work experience in my 4th Year Transition year. I worked there for 4 days It seemed like a nice place to work. The team were friendly and all the customers were nice. I really enjoyed my time there and learned a lot about filing.

No 2 days the same. Very busy. Great support & leadership from Directors.

I worked for Specsavers for 18yrs. Truth be told I’d still be there for only family commitments changed & I had to relocate. Starting as an Optical Assistant & ending as Retail Manager I seen it all. I can truly say they are a great company to work for. So dedicated in investing in staff. Yes, very fast paced, stressful at times..but really well supported by Directors.

Eine tolle Umgebung

Während meines Praktikums, haben sich die Angestellten immer sehr gut um mich gekümmert und alle meine Fragen beantwortet.

Well it is not very fair to the staff. The harder you work you do not get really appreciated. They do not really care if you happy or not .I use to like working there but thing have changed dramaticly.

Pros

Just free one pair glasses once a year

Cons

Just one short break and Lunch

Productive and Fun Workplace

It was my first job and learned alot. Managers were kind and everyone was hard working. I mostly did data processing in the office. It was fast paced but not stressful most days.

Opera lane cork city

The best job I have ever had. incredibly inspiring directors and management team. Fabulous culture and I love it. My colleagues all love it. The progression opportunities are excellent.

A mentally draining circus environment of mismanagement, chaos, greed and incompetence

A very poorly managed store with lunatic directors placing huge pressure and unrealistic targets and standards for staff on minimum wage. Short staffed in every department to deal with the high volume of customers, insufficient training and thrown in the deep end with a mountain load of information to learn straight away with out of date and faulty equipment for a store of its size. Horrible and unapproachable is the only way to describe upper management (ironically called 'Top Team') who are more concerned with trying to elevate their own status through groveling to lunatic directors in pathetic fashion than improving the toxic work environment and staff morale. New ridiculous systems are constantly forced upon staff under enough pressure to perform the job and hit several targets which works to only hinder staff performance and creates more problems. Yet there are no bonuses or incentives on offer for hitting these never ending targets coincided with very poor pay for a job that commands so much knowledge. Management and staff are living in constant terror of lunatic directors' daily sales expectations. The staff are culpable at all times if sales targets aren't met which in turn creates an environment of severe anxiety and pressure. One of the most bewildering aspects of the store is the WhatsApp group that is constantly active with messages from the moment you wake up till you go home that lunatic directors think is showing staff they are appreciated while it is actually ramming home the mountain load of targets to hit and how nothing is ever good enough no appreciation -

lovely staff, great learning environment. Career progression if desired with in house training and external courses available. high traffic store and good location

Jobs at Specsavers

See more jobs

Ballina needs a new manager

The work is great, the customers are lovely. Only fault with Ballina Branch is a director who does not appreciate her staff and is extremely rude in her dealing with staff and customers alike. Very high turn over in staff very few there longer than a year.

Pros

The work is enjoyable

Cons

No training, very unhelpful, negative manager.

really enjoyable place to work

All the staff get on really well, and are welcoming to new staff and customers alike. The store that I am based in is a smaller size which made things more personal, everyone greets customers like they know them and service given is always to the best they can give. Also the team are really close which the customers often comment on which is nice to see and hear from. On a development point of view, lots of opportunity to learn and progress. I'd highly recommended. Although I am aware some of the larger stores this may not be the same situation I can definitely say I was very lucky to meet and work with a great bunch and not only that but a lot of training and opportunity had come my way from working with specsavers.

Pros

career opportunity, good team moral

Cons

late nights and weekend work, low pay

Great work place always room for progression

So the company is great to work for and the team that I work with where amazing they offer free glasses and make sure all team members are looked after as it is a stressful environment

Pros

Free glasses

Toxic Work environment

The worst toxic environment I have ever had the misfortune to work in, bias inept management. Different rules for different staff a joke really. Lack of communication between manager and staff very unprofessional. Not the best company if you want to keep your confidence up as negativity is definitely the order of the day.

Pros

I met some nice staff/customers. Reduction in cost of frames

Cons

Unprofessional & Bias management. Not a good working environment

Alot of learning for a minimum wage job

Most staff were nice but the ones who weren't outweighed them!! A lot of bullying & favoritism among staff and also management, i enjoyed the work itself & dealing with the public was nice, most days!! Hifh emphasis on upselling, whether the customer needed r not, unless your sales were high management not happy. High staff turn over at the moment, if certain staff members want you gone they will make it there business by any means possible to see it happens, saw it done to others and my experience was similar. I wouldn't recommend this place for a job to be honest, individually most staff were lovely but as a click/ group Nasty is the only word that springs to mind!!

Pros

No late nights

Cons

Bullying, low pay

Dont get comfortable. The girls will chew you up and spit you out.

The management are nice here, however your position here is only safe if the other girls like you. The atmosphere is very click and its not an easy place to fit in- especially if you have kids. It is not family friendly. It is èxtremly clicky. If you can overcome those things it's grand. I liked it unfortunately I didn't fit in.

Pros

Nice clean place

Cons

Clicky

Dynamic.

I enjoy being busy so this worked for me, alot to be desired in internal working structure regarding management but staff build great bonds. Customers are very specific and it is not a position in this area to be taken lightly.

Pros

free glasses

Cons

long hours, shift work, unpaid lunches.

The titanic blindly heading for an iceberg

Worked in a branch in North Dublin, my colleagues were mostly very nice, but apart from maybe 2 people who held the place together, there was a collective incompetence. The store manager is a spiteful little bully with major ego and anger issues, and no respect whatsoever for the people he shares a workplace with. Sadly, he's backed by inept higher ups. Avoid at all costs.

Pros

A few nice co workers

Cons

Poisonous atmosphere, clueless management

Enjoyable place to working

Working a specsavers gave me the chance to interact with different types of people everyday, it brought my personality and confidence on and also gave me the opertunity and experience being involved with a sales team

Company has a good business pity about the JVPs

Good company, directors treat staff like slaves, no pay rises no bonuses no gratitude overworked and seriously underpaid expect minimum wage for life.

work was grand run by clowns

poor pay no bonus or benefits. expected to do management duties with no extra pay. sexist comments from director and management, would not recommend to work here

Pros

customers are lovely

Cons

poor pay and no bonus
  • Specsavers