Specsavers
Coronavirus update
Information from Specsavers:

Specsavers Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,144 reviews
Physically and mentally draining, very pressurised environment and directors who do not communicate. No salary structure, no reviews. Pay does not reflect amount of work done
Pros
Career progression and experience
Cons
Stress
Specsavers ethics and ideals are brilliant and management are not bad but pay was minimum wage and wasn't the same across all employees creating an unequal divide.
Worked in the St neots lovely management great place to work for all staff are really friendly and treated fairly if anyone wants to go into optic’s definitely recommend it
Pros
Great team
Cons
Non
Nice people there to work with, who are trustworthy and always willing to help bout when they can. The environment always felt safe and there was a nice sense of community.
Pros
Good co workers
I have worked for 3 different specsavers and was hoping when I left the previous specsavers that the new one I was going to would be better. How wrong was I. No one seems to care about staff being unhappy at work and directors just don't care. Certain members of staff can get away with sitting at the desk all day doing nothing also lots of favoratism going on. All the directors are concerned about is making money. I refuse to sell a product to someone when they don't need it just to line the directors pockets
Pros
Cons
Tool long to list
I've been able to progress well in specsavers, they help people who are passionate about their roles. I started as an Optical assistant and I'm now a store manager.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Salary increase
The sort of place where personality is mocked and loyalty is insignificant. Sales tactics involve constantly worrying about meeting KPI's instead of meeting customer needs.

It seems as if workers are financially manipulated into staying. You can't look for a job if you're paid barely enough to live. In addition, Specsavers contracts state that nobody can give references.
Pros
Gives experience in retail, sales, clinical and administrative areas
Cons
Encourages fake personalities and ripping off customers
A toxic work environment, no respect for your opinions. Very much a clique environment. If your face fits then you are fine. You are expected to give but received nothing in return.
I have accepted an offer at Specsavers in February 2020 and had given my notice for my current employer so I can start in March, however, after just 3 days of working there they laid me off - stating the reason is the Corona virus pandemic and they want to move all staff to work from home and since I was a new starter they cannot offer me this as I am not trained for the job.
I found this extremely unprofessional and rude especially because other people who were also new starters they have had the possibility to conduct training online while at home, safe. However, they decided to get rid of me after 3 days!

I gave up my previous job to work for Specsavers and they didn't even bother to come up with a solution so I can be trained online - as other companies did.

I gave 1 star as in my opinion this is a terrible thing to do - especially in this pandemic. I have been left jobless for 5 months because of that.
Pros
Office location
Cons
Very low salary, job security, management
The company is the worst! Do not go there! Was not listened to when issues were raised. No loyalty and mental health will be affected due to stress. Patients are rude as they too are stressed by poor service. If you love yourself wait for another opportunity to come up.
Pros
Short travel distance
Cons
Eveything, from A-Z
No overtime or sick pay. Often expected to start 10 minutes before your shift. Multiple problems within the company structure and management. Little progression
Was always packed to the brim so run around ragged, couldn't provide the service we should be and wasn't listened to by management when the staffs mental health was being affected by the rammed stressful environment. Honestly for the knowledge and problem solving of staff you don't get paid enough and bonuses constantly taken away until there were non at all.
U will however with Specsavers as they are always desperate for staff
Pros
We had a good family team
Cons
Sausage factory
Working at Spec Savers is nothing but toxic. You are constantly forced to make sale targets and as an employee you are totally under appreciated. There is always work you have to do at home after a day of work which makes it hard to switch off. Don’t waste you time applying.
Cons
Underpaid, under appreciated, over worked
No loyalty from this company no matter how hard you work. Dont pay bonus that should be given to staff its kept by the Directors. Staff pay is well below industry standards
Pros
Cons
Everything about working for them
Very stressfull. Under Covid and work changes. I’ve worked for Specsavers for 23 years. I’m 62 years old and they expect changes for us to adapt to even though not done things for 23 years
Pros
Cons
Stressful
Not a good job for work life balance but as far as retail work goes you have more chance to develop yourself within optics than in a lot of other jobs.
Would not recommend to anyone!!
Awful management with no consideration of the wellbeing of staff, constantly throwing newer staff under the bus and embarassing them in front of the other staff. The management team had a condescending behaviour to others under managerial roles. Only care about making sales and very rude to customers in general.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor management, rude staff, lack of communication between employer and employees
After training to complete my optical role I was made redundant . No thought was given to deployment what so ever . It was totally about making a profit and even though regularly worked above and beyond and long hours it seemed not to matter. VERY disappointed
Pros
Satisfying challenges
Cons
Poor pay
It was amazing working at Spec-savers. They had the most friendliest staff, that were always willing to assist me whenever I got stuck with helping a patient.
I knew nothing about spectacles but the optometrist took the time to teach me.
poor pay, this is a franchise, these are given to any tom dick or harry, avoid at all costs, unless you love being stressed and worked ,like a dog and treated like a child. manager openly homophobic and the recruitment manager couldnt care less
Pros
going home
Cons
everything
At Specsavers it was a relaxed environment which like any job had its busy moment.

I've learned a lot there because it was my first job and I have grown so much in confidence and I am confortable talking on the phone to people that I don't know.