Specsavers

Specsavers Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,154 reviews
Physically and mentally draining, very pressurised environment and directors who do not communicate. No salary structure, no reviews. Pay does not reflect amount of work done
Pros
Career progression and experience
Cons
Stress
They want customer in out as quickly as possible glasses not stored properly lots of errors are made re orders posting etc also expected to work out of hours for no pay !
Pros
Free glasses after probation period
Cons
Bad management who bull
The people you work with are generally nice but there is a weird unspoken hierarchy. For the most part that's fine because it's determined by experience but some people are just annoying and somehow despite lacking ability will still manage to outrank you.
Pros
Longs hours, People are nice
Cons
Pay, Flexibility, Management, Environment
I done a days work experience in specsavers, it was very busy, staff are very friendly, I got to shadow people high up in the job and see how the business ran
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Work experience
Job was 9-5.30. Break was not paid.Minimum pay for a job that requires to do alot and remember all the offers. Hardly any progression available. I was lucky to have good staff at my store, however there always people that gossip but thats common everywhere so...We did recieve Bonus, but they did make it harder for us to achieve every year. Also directors, supervisors reading out how much the stores makes every week doesnt make us feel any better earning minimum pay.
Pros
Nice staff, discounts website, managers, festival treats
Cons
Pay, no progression, bonus changes
Work here on a part time basis at the moment, but has really boosted my confidence and skills , talking and interacting with customers on a daily basis , this was my first proper job and has made me feel very welcome to this store and feel like a family.
Pros
Boosted my confidence/very friendly staff
Cons
Not a good place to work. Never was I able to make any decisions as it’s all run by another store. Management and directors don’t really care about work life balance and are constantly sending messages And setting up conference calls during the evening. Once we had a conference call at 8:30pm and I said I wasn’t available and this was not taken very well. Steer clear for this store.
Pros
Non.
Cons
No work life balance.
Store is open 9-6 everyday apart from Sundays 10-5. 9/10 you wouldn't finish at 6 and run over by almost an hour. The directors refused to pay you for the extra time or give you the time back. No staff room or cloak room, personal belongings had to be left in Sainsbury's staff area and the canteen shared also. They book in customers based on how likely they are to spend money. You are timed with your customers so everything is rushed. Full ok and stressful job for minimum wage and no extra benefits apart from an absolute rank uniform. STEER CLEAR AND AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Pros
Cons
Everything, literally everything
After leaving this workplace I have realised how much of a stressful and toxic environment it became. Employees constantly feel pressured to meet the target for sales each day. Customers would complain regarding wait times which was out of your control. Management was poor and hourly rate of pay is at the minimum, for the amount of stress this job involved, it was not worth it.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Hourly rate, management, not enough staff
I was belittled and humiliated on several occasions by one of the owners. I became depressed and now have a long term illness because of the stress. The hourly rate is the worst i have ever been on and I was #12 to leave and there have seen been 4 more - this is in a year.
Pros
Cons
Bad hourly rate, treated badly
All staff are lovely, managers do not have people skills, senior management not so good. Working hours are ok, half hour lunch break, quite a busy stores and not always enough people to serve everyone.The stores only pay the minimum wages. Over all no good employer
Pros
Possible progression
Cons
Work like a donkey for little wages
All staff are lovely, manager is great, senior management not so good. Working hours are ok, half hour lunch break, quite a busy store not always enough people at moment to serve everyone. Contact lense dept is upstairs, no lift. They have made some redundancies and not replaced some staff, minimum wage. More pressure on staff for sales than previously. Alot of unhappy staff. Store open 7 days.
Pros
Friendly staff. Have axa cover for staff benefits.
Cons
Minimum wage, only half hr lunch, can feel very stressed when busy, senior manager creates atmosphere on shop floor.
Specsavers ethics and ideals are brilliant and management are not bad but pay was minimum wage and wasn't the same across all employees creating an unequal divide.
If I could give 0 stars then I would have. When I started working here I had high hopes after being promised in my interview all of the best training and opportunities. The company is full of nepotism and bad management and it is true to say that you will only progress if you're related to someone in the right place or if your face fits and you're chummy with management. Morale is so low. Blame culture is high and the two managers sit in their office all day and do very little to lift the spirits of the staff doing all the hard work on the shop floor. Every request and question was always met with a "leave it with me" response, only for nothing to ever get done! Being shouted at by customers was a daily occurance. And when looking for support from management it was completely normal to be undermined and made to look stupid in front of the customer.
Pros
Most of the shopfloor staff are friendly and welcoming
Cons
Awful management, underpaid
Worked in the St neots lovely management great place to work for all staff are really friendly and treated fairly if anyone wants to go into optic’s definitely recommend it
Pros
Great team
Cons
Non
Nice people there to work with, who are trustworthy and always willing to help bout when they can. The environment always felt safe and there was a nice sense of community.
Pros
Good co workers
I have worked for 3 different specsavers and was hoping when I left the previous specsavers that the new one I was going to would be better. How wrong was I. No one seems to care about staff being unhappy at work and directors just don't care. Certain members of staff can get away with sitting at the desk all day doing nothing also lots of favoratism going on. All the directors are concerned about is making money. I refuse to sell a product to someone when they don't need it just to line the directors pockets
Pros
Cons
Tool long to list
I've been able to progress well in specsavers, they help people who are passionate about their roles. I started as an Optical assistant and I'm now a store manager.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Salary increase
The sort of place where personality is mocked and loyalty is insignificant. Sales tactics involve constantly worrying about meeting KPI's instead of meeting customer needs. It seems as if workers are financially manipulated into staying. You can't look for a job if you're paid barely enough to live. In addition, Specsavers contracts state that nobody can give references.
Pros
Gives experience in retail, sales, clinical and administrative areas
Cons
Encourages fake personalities and ripping off customers
A toxic work environment, no respect for your opinions. Very much a clique environment. If your face fits then you are fine. You are expected to give but received nothing in return.
I have accepted an offer at Specsavers in February 2020 and had given my notice for my current employer so I can start in March, however, after just 3 days of working there they laid me off - stating the reason is the Corona virus pandemic and they want to move all staff to work from home and since I was a new starter they cannot offer me this as I am not trained for the job. I found this extremely unprofessional and rude especially because other people who were also new starters they have had the possibility to conduct training online while at home, safe. However, they decided to get rid of me after 3 days! I gave up my previous job to work for Specsavers and they didn't even bother to come up with a solution so I can be trained online - as other companies did. I gave 1 star as in my opinion this is a terrible thing to do - especially in this pandemic. I have been left jobless for 5 months because of that.
Pros
Office location
Cons
Very low salary, job security, management
  1. Employee reviews