Specsavers
Information from Specsavers:

Specsavers Employee Reviews for Optical Assistant

Optical Assistant11 reviews
Ireland11 reviews
Well it is not very fair to the staff. The harder you work you do not get really appreciated. They do not really care if you happy or not .I use to like working there but thing have changed dramaticly.
Pros
Just free one pair glasses once a year
Cons
Just one short break and Lunch
A very poorly managed store with lunatic directors placing huge pressure and unrealistic targets and standards for staff on minimum wage. Short staffed in every department to deal with the high volume of customers, insufficient training and thrown in the deep end with a mountain load of information to learn straight away with out of date and faulty equipment for a store of its size. Horrible and unapproachable is the only way to describe upper management (ironically called 'Top Team') who are more concerned with trying to elevate their own status through groveling to lunatic directors in pathetic fashion than improving the toxic work environment and staff morale.

New ridiculous systems are constantly forced upon staff under enough pressure to perform the job and hit several targets which works to only hinder staff performance and creates more problems. Yet there are no bonuses or incentives on offer for hitting these never ending targets coincided with very poor pay for a job that commands so much knowledge. Management and staff are living in constant terror of lunatic directors' daily sales expectations. The staff are culpable at all times if sales targets aren't met which in turn creates an environment of severe anxiety and pressure.

One of the most bewildering aspects of the store is the WhatsApp group that is constantly active with messages from the moment you wake up till you go home that lunatic directors think is showing staff they are appreciated while it is actually ramming home the mountain load of targets to hit and how nothing is ever good enough no appreciation
 - more...
All the staff get on really well, and are welcoming to new staff and customers alike. The store that I am based in is a smaller size which made things more personal, everyone greets customers like they know them and service given is always to the best they can give. Also the team are really close which the customers often comment on which is nice to see and hear from. On a development point of view, lots of opportunity to learn and progress. I'd highly recommended. Although I am aware some of the larger stores this may not be the same situation I can definitely say I was very lucky to meet and work with a great bunch and not only that but a lot of training and opportunity had come my way from working with specsavers.
Pros
career opportunity, good team moral
Cons
late nights and weekend work, low pay
The worst toxic environment I have ever had the misfortune to work in, bias inept management. Different rules for different staff a joke really. Lack of communication between manager and staff very unprofessional.
Not the best company if you want to keep your confidence up as negativity is definitely the order of the day.
Pros
I met some nice staff/customers. Reduction in cost of frames
Cons
Unprofessional & Bias management. Not a good working environment
poor pay no bonus or benefits. expected to do management duties with no extra pay. sexist comments from director and management, would not recommend to work here
Pros
customers are lovely
Cons
poor pay and no bonus
We have created a great team. Working together with all these people and being a part of it was a really good experience. There were trainings and different career opportunities available.
Pros
Friendly Atomosphere
Cons
Long Shifts
Lack of opportunity to advance on a monetary level. A lot of titles and extra responsibility but no extra money to back it up. no benefits
Loved working with the team we all got on so well, we were required to book patients in for appointments, pre test them before the optician saw them and then help with choices of lenses and frames to suit their prescriptions. The prospects for young people joining this organisation are fantastic, I personally felt that trying to balance my home life and a very busy job was too much for me at this time but would have no hesitation recommending this organisation.
Pros
fabulous team members
Cons
very stressful at times
I worked for them for 15 years and was very enjoyable place to work . I left as I felt I needed to do something else with my life.
Pros
enjoyable nice staff
Cons
A friendly place to work, training is done once a week for new employees, managers are helpful and understanding
Pros
Work hours are appropriate
Cons
Difficult to settle in
Reception duties, General office duties
Ascertaining customer needs thoroughly and understanding visual perception and basic visual defects.

Assisting customer to choose appropriate spectacles.

Repairing spectacles.

Having a complete knowledge of optical products and treatments.

Analyzing prescriptions accurately and dispensing lenses and optional products accordingly.

Keeping accurate records of prescriptions and transactions.

Ensuring excellent customer care.

Training new members of staff, when necessary to provide excellent customer and retail services.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
Pay rate