St. James's Hospital Employee Reviews

it was fun and a new learning experience for my time there
material management assistant (Former Employee) –  james's hospital17 May 2019
a typical day was pretty slow to be honest working in a warehouse.
i was more surprised a big hospitals was not constantly on the go with all the medical supply's and equipment to be moved from and to the hospitals specific specified rooms and parts of the buildings around hospital.
overall i enjoyed the arranging and distribution process it was steady and always at a comfortable pace, delivery runs kept the pace up me on a slow day but would recommend job if the position comes up too most people interested.
Pros
free lunches, big enough work area, all equipment and machinery at hand
Cons
some other staff not good attitudes towards working or job when the slow days come up
Fun workplace
Student (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 February 2019
For my work experience in St James hospital, My daily routine was helping the nurses do small jobs. Helping people and learning all of the basics of what they have to do in a week. I enjoyed my time there and the experience was great.
Pros
Everyone was friendly
Cons
Hours where long
Friendly Staff
Internship (Former Employee) –  Dublin24 January 2019
It was hard to deal with the location, there is no car parking in the area and St James Hospital Area is quite dangerous.
Staff are very friendly and HR is always there to help.
Pros
Great Canten
Cons
Location, no car parking.
Fun and interesting place to work
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dublin, IE13 December 2018
This place is a great place to work. There are so many interesting things to do. The staff are all motivated and great teachers. They are passionate in what they do.
Pros
Cheap Food
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and nice to work with.
Senior Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dublin2 October 2018
A nice place to work, environment and people wise. Can easily established a rapport to work with. Gained much and nice experiences while in St. JAMES HOSPITAL. Doctors are very kiƱd and accomodating not only to staff but most especially to patients. Staffs and doctors are having a very good relationships as team work that results in efficient and good quality patients care. Practicing a very supportive and attentive to patients that is emotionally and physically. Can give an immediate nursing care to those emergency cases happening in Out Patient Dept. Assessed easily on which patient is to receive an immediate care. My superiors are nice and comfortable ti work with. She's always have the ear to listen on her staff"s problems, not only in relations to patients problems but prrsonal as well. Very supportive to staff that makes to work easily and comfortably. Have complete equipments that help us to work efficiently plus the good training, physical and education training. Helping not only the patients but give support to relatives as well. That when upon hearing the serious problems ( like cancer ) on patients it is the relatives that is easily affected and we are giving privacy to them to support them emotionally.
Pros
Giving toils to exta hours.
Cons
Tired due to very busy duty.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin19 July 2018
I learned a lot from my week of work experience, the nurses were very helpful and encouraging to help me learn more about what work they do and how they do it.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin5 February 2018
I was always busy in hospital, there was always a chart that had to be found or a patient that needed help. All the staff are lovely and I feel like I fit right in.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short lunches
McDonalds
Public Janitor (Former Employee) –  Dublin28 November 2017
Its fast work and every one is very busy busy because have to put the items away and stilll deal with customers there is more that goes on that meets the eye more in volved and always two mangers a shift on
Pros
Mcdonalds food
Cons
run off your feet
Educational, Fun and Good work place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Ireland26 July 2017
St. James's Hospital is composed of a multi-cultured healthcare professionals. The hospital provides great set of courses to train and enhance the knowledge, skills and attitude of their employees.
The nurses work 40 hours a week. It is a very busy hospital but the management knows how to maneuver time to make sure that the patients are receiving safe and proper service from the healthcare providers on a timely manner while the hospital staff are also taking their proper breaks.

Since the staff is composed of diversed culture, people know how to regard one another by being open-minded and respectful. The hardest part of the job is the variety of English accents since people originated from different places.However, as the time goes by, people are getting familiar with each other's accent.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the growth as a professional and individual. The hospital is making sure that the staff are getting continuous trainings and seminars. The people are friendly and corteous that can eventually lead to a good working environment and camaraderie.
Pros
free snacks, free pens, getting proper breaks
Cons
allocation of staff
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dublin4 May 2017
Very busy hospital, support nurses available. A lot more demanding off their staff considering the reduced number of staff available . Too many paper works and very short staffed. But the hospital aspire to be the centre of excellence . Trainings organised at all times but sometimes very poor skill mix. Overall , this hospital is a very good learning environment for every Healthcare professional
Very busy environment
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin 823 March 2017
Patients are what make your day, balancing all care needs, working as part of a team. Fast paced environment, with tasks changing and key to work on your own initiative and as part of a team. Meeting challenging situations every day and being able to communicate throughout complex situations, and good organisational skills are essential.
Pros
work with people and help them
Cons
Too little staff and physically and mentally very exhausting.
Good work ethic & fun place to work
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Dublin25 January 2017
I learned to manage stock management, as well as how to store stock on a computer programme as well. I also learnt that when goods are to be prepared for a delivery that one must be aware of the goods that are being put onto a pallet, the driver who'll be carrying it, as well as the likely of the items spelling all over the place
Pros
Entertain
Cons
Non
Great learning environment and opportunity
Gynae-Oncology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Ireland11 January 2017
St. James's Hospital is located in Dublin, Ireland where I spent 3 months serving as a Gynae-Oncology research assistant where I assisted with research studies to measure the increased chances of blood clotting in gynae-oncology patients. I ran blood samples from malignant cases in a Thromboelastograph (TEG) machine to gather information on the patient's blood capacity to coagulate. I also participated in departmental and patient strategy multi-disciplinary meetings and carried out database patient record management and analysis. I was the only intern so I had a lot to learn in a short amount of time. My supervisors were very helpful during the initial entry phase but as soon as I was comfortable I was running data and testing samples on my own. The hardest part of the job was getting used to their records system as it was different from ones I have seen before. The most enjoyable part was being able to be there everyday and learn how other countries run their health care systems.
Working on Hospital Wards
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin.5 August 2015
On the day shift, the mornings were the busiest time at work (getting patients washed, sitting out for breakfast, helping them with their breakfast, preparing some for theatre). Co-operation among staff was pivotal for the morning's work, and indeed the whole days's work. Being visibly frustrated with the pace of work was never helpful to any one individual, or the team for that matter.

Unfortunately our management was not the easiest to get along with and this led to a regular turnover of staff members as many took transfers to other wards when those transfers became available. This in turn meant new people had to be trained and therefore the pace of work was affected.

All of my co-workers were mannerly and approachable, and this made it a comfortable place to work.

It's difficult to recollect a hard part of the job. Although as terrible as it sounds, when some patients I really got on well with were eventually well enough to be discharged, I would almost not want them to go. Therefore I can say that the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and caring for them on a regular basis.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Being asked to work an extra 3 hours just as you are about to finish your shift, although this rarely happened
Productve
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D1 July 2015
Responsible for cleaning common areas - hallways, offices, waiting rooms and special rooms that demand trained and specialized care.
I have co-workers from diferent nacionalitys (Mexican and Idian).
see below
Application manager (Current Employee) –  dublin23 June 2015
A busy hospital with multiple current systems and great potential to be a first fully electronic patient record system.
Pros
flexi time
Excellent training and good work environment
Trainee Medical Scientist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D4 June 2015
Working within the Immunology department in the CPL building of St. James's Hospital was an enjoyable experience. A requirement of my degree was a 6 month placement, I was trained excellently into numerous procedures and techniques in relation to my degree and the pharma industry. I then returned in my final year of college to externally carry out my dissertation with them which was a further success.
Productive and lively workplace.
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Dublin7 May 2015
My daily duties in this workplace included: Stock take, Distribution, Warehouse duties, assisting in delivery.I gained beneficial experience while working here. I found it a very interesting place to work.
as close as it gets to being in the army
Medical laboratory aide (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D1 October 2014
highly trained and motivated people who care deeply about the patients under their care who strive for perfection in all their tasks
Pros
professional caring work
Cons
wage cuts, staff shortages
Very busy but very enjoyable job
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D29 September 2014
Very busy every day, never quiet. Constant phone calls from other hospitals, patients and within the hospital. Typing on a constant basis. Filing patient correspondence. Had experience for six months as Grade V supervisor, enjoyed this position.