St. James's Hospital

St. James's Hospital Employee Reviews

Ireland29 reviews
It's a good environment for me to work. Its busy and everyday is a different day. You learn a lot organisation, time management punctuality. I love working a fst environment
I was extremely underpaid and had absolutely no job security. They would renew my contract every month so I would be left wondering if I had work the next month.

Also when you talk to people at the organisation they will tel you they all put o a nice face for management but are too scared to say anything negative to them because they will try ruin your career.

Management also are all unqualified for the positions they hold, the vast majority of them don't even have a qualification. I'll put it this way, a surgeon should have a qualification to be a surgeon and in this case management came from nursing backgrounds. They would promote nurses and others who were unqualified because they were all friends and MBAs wouldn't get the opportunity to progress in management because they weren't in the click.

DON NOT APPLY TO THIS ORGANISATION.
Fantasctic place to work.
Staff and Management are superb and extreamly friendly.

Great location and easy access to public transport.

Highly recomended.
So I worked here on work experience. Most days spent there I was trained how to be vigilant and how to learn use CCTV systems at a basic level. Management were great and were their if we needed help. The hardest part would've been trying to understand what was been said over radios as the equippment wasn't up to scratch. The most enjoyable part was been treated like an actual person and not a number.
Very positive workplace. Brilliant opportunities to further your career and excellent environment to further your education and work skills.
Learned lots of new tasks.
Pros
Excellent canteen
Cons
Busy day
a typical day was pretty slow to be honest working in a warehouse.
i was more surprised a big hospitals was not constantly on the go with all the medical supply's and equipment to be moved from and to the hospitals specific specified rooms and parts of the buildings around hospital.

overall i enjoyed the arranging and distribution process it was steady and always at a comfortable pace, delivery runs kept the pace up me on a slow day but would recommend job if the position comes up too most people interested.
Pros
free lunches, big enough work area, all equipment and machinery at hand
Cons
some other staff not good attitudes towards working or job when the slow days come up
For my work experience in St James hospital, My daily routine was helping the nurses do small jobs. Helping people and learning all of the basics of what they have to do in a week. I enjoyed my time there and the experience was great.
Pros
Everyone was friendly
Cons
Hours where long
It was hard to deal with the location, there is no car parking in the area and St James Hospital Area is quite dangerous.
Staff are very friendly and HR is always there to help.
Pros
Great Canten
Cons
Location, no car parking.
This place is a great place to work. There are so many interesting things to do. The staff are all motivated and great teachers. They are passionate in what they do.
Pros
Cheap Food
Cons
Long Hours
A nice place to work, environment and people wise. Can easily established a rapport to work with. Gained much and nice experiences while in St. JAMES HOSPITAL. Doctors are very kiñd and accomodating not only to staff but most especially to patients. Staffs and doctors are having a very good relationships as team work that results in efficient and good quality patients care. Practicing a very supportive and attentive to patients that is emotionally and physically. Can give an immediate nursing care to those emergency cases happening in Out Patient Dept. Assessed easily on which patient is to receive an immediate care. My superiors are nice and comfortable ti work with. She's always have the ear to listen on her staff"s problems, not only in relations to patients problems but prrsonal as well. Very supportive to staff that makes to work easily and comfortably. Have complete equipments that help us to work efficiently plus the good training, physical and education training. Helping not only the patients but give support to relatives as well. That when upon hearing the serious problems ( like cancer ) on patients it is the relatives that is easily affected and we are giving privacy to them to support them emotionally.
Pros
Giving toils to exta hours.
Cons
Tired due to very busy duty.
I learned a lot from my week of work experience, the nurses were very helpful and encouraging to help me learn more about what work they do and how they do it.
I was always busy in hospital, there was always a chart that had to be found or a patient that needed help. All the staff are lovely and I feel like I fit right in.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short lunches
Its fast work and every one is very busy busy because have to put the items away and stilll deal with customers there is more that goes on that meets the eye more in volved and always two mangers a shift on
Pros
Mcdonalds food
Cons
run off your feet
St. James's Hospital is composed of a multi-cultured healthcare professionals. The hospital provides great set of courses to train and enhance the knowledge, skills and attitude of their employees.
The nurses work 40 hours a week. It is a very busy hospital but the management knows how to maneuver time to make sure that the patients are receiving safe and proper service from the healthcare providers on a timely manner while the hospital staff are also taking their proper breaks.

Since the staff is composed of diversed culture, people know how to regard one another by being open-minded and respectful. The hardest part of the job is the variety of English accents since people originated from different places.However, as the time goes by, people are getting familiar with each other's accent.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the growth as a professional and individual. The hospital is making sure that the staff are getting continuous trainings and seminars. The people are friendly and corteous that can eventually lead to a good working environment and camaraderie.
Pros
free snacks, free pens, getting proper breaks
Cons
allocation of staff
Very busy hospital, support nurses available. A lot more demanding off their staff considering the reduced number of staff available . Too many paper works and very short staffed. But the hospital aspire to be the centre of excellence . Trainings organised at all times but sometimes very poor skill mix. Overall , this hospital is a very good learning environment for every Healthcare professional
Cons
Patients are what make your day, balancing all care needs, working as part of a team. Fast paced environment, with tasks changing and key to work on your own initiative and as part of a team. Meeting challenging situations every day and being able to communicate throughout complex situations, and good organisational skills are essential.
Pros
work with people and help them
Cons
Too little staff and physically and mentally very exhausting.
I learned to manage stock management, as well as how to store stock on a computer programme as well. I also learnt that when goods are to be prepared for a delivery that one must be aware of the goods that are being put onto a pallet, the driver who'll be carrying it, as well as the likely of the items spelling all over the place
Pros
Entertain
Cons
Non
St. James's Hospital is located in Dublin, Ireland where I spent 3 months serving as a Gynae-Oncology research assistant where I assisted with research studies to measure the increased chances of blood clotting in gynae-oncology patients. I ran blood samples from malignant cases in a Thromboelastograph (TEG) machine to gather information on the patient's blood capacity to coagulate. I also participated in departmental and patient strategy multi-disciplinary meetings and carried out database patient record management and analysis. I was the only intern so I had a lot to learn in a short amount of time. My supervisors were very helpful during the initial entry phase but as soon as I was comfortable I was running data and testing samples on my own. The hardest part of the job was getting used to their records system as it was different from ones I have seen before. The most enjoyable part was being able to be there everyday and learn how other countries run their health care systems.
On the day shift, the mornings were the busiest time at work (getting patients washed, sitting out for breakfast, helping them with their breakfast, preparing some for theatre). Co-operation among staff was pivotal for the morning's work, and indeed the whole days's work. Being visibly frustrated with the pace of work was never helpful to any one individual, or the team for that matter.

Unfortunately our management was not the easiest to get along with and this led to a regular turnover of staff members as many took transfers to other wards when those transfers became available. This in turn meant new people had to be trained and therefore the pace of work was affected.

All of my co-workers were mannerly and approachable, and this made it a comfortable place to work.

It's difficult to recollect a hard part of the job. Although as terrible as it sounds, when some patients I really got on well with were eventually well enough to be discharged, I would almost not want them to go. Therefore I can say that the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and caring for them on a regular basis.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Being asked to work an extra 3 hours just as you are about to finish your shift, although this rarely happened
Responsible for cleaning common areas - hallways, offices, waiting rooms and special rooms that demand trained and specialized care.
I have co-workers from diferent nacionalitys (Mexican and Idian).
A busy hospital with multiple current systems and great potential to be a first fully electronic patient record system.
Pros
flexi time
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. James's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
St. James's Hospital Reviews by Location