Play YouTube video button
St. Michaels House

St. Michaels House Employee Reviews

Ireland18 reviews
I started working in SMH as an agency staff before I got my permanent. Very homely and the residents are very friendly. Staff team is great. I love working in SMH but the only challenge I have is the roster. It will be better if the roster could be a rolling roster so that all staff will know the shift they're doing ahead, this will make it impossible for manager to favour favourite staff
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
Roster will favour staff equally if it is a rolling roster.
I've worked for SMH for 12 years and loved every moment. Great staff and plenty of room for progression and moving to different units within SMH.
Catered towards the service users lives.
great place to work, good to staff, good training, good pay, satisfying work, good atmosphere mostly, teamwork, training, good to staff, good pay, training
I worked there more than ten years. I like the staff and the service users. We help them live in the community and let them feel that they’re part of it. Very homey enviroment. The only thing i did’nt like some managers And the higher management in nursing are not supportive to their staff esp applying for a higher position . Who you know and you’ll get the job. No career development.
Very positive work place values staff and clients alike. Management very supportive and training is top class.
They even took my preferred hours and days and location in to consideration before placement
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay was little low due to 35 HR weeks
Although I only completed a few days of work experience with St. Michael's House my experience with them was entirely positive, I have great respect for all of the people I worked with.
I have learnt better communication skills, have excellent support from team and management when facing challenges. It is a good place to work, the team is very supportive. It can be challenging at times but definitely rewarding
Hard working organisation with a wonderful ethos based on community inegartion, contribution and well being of all service users. Marvellous place to work.
only stayed each time for around 2 hours twice a week learning how to work with mentally ill children around ages 16-18. the experience I got from working at St. Micheal's house is sure to help me in the future.
I joined St. Michael's House in September 2016. I worked in day services which I thoroughly enjoyed. The staff team were fantastic and created a very inclusive atmosphere.
Excelllent service provision but relies heavily on the goodwill of staff and an expectation to cover shifts and stay on for extra shifts due to staff shortages.
Your Job satisfaction will come from the awesome clients and their families and your amazing co workers.

The frustration in the job will be with the lack of resources, funding, limitations and one step forward two steps back that comes with aiming to improve quality of life for those who may not be able to do it themselves.

Management will use you to meet their needs and if you do not boundary yourself and your work you will be pushed around and thanklessly. Your commitment to the clients you care for will be a pull for you as you will not want their quality of care compromised hence will be inclined to overwork.

It is a role that requires passion and energy.

Do not expect gratitude or recognition from management.
Pros
the people
Cons
long hours, rigid systems
St.Michaels House provides residential, respite, day service and workshops that help people with mild/moderate to severe/profound intellectual and physical disabilities. Its aim is to provide its users with the opportunity to self advocate so that they are included into their own society.
the staff that work for the organisation are multi skilled, from nurse specialists, clinicians, Nurses, social care and healthcare workers.

it stands as one of the for-runners in Ireland that provide this service while providing a homely environment for its users. staff do not have formal uniforms so as to ease the minds of the service users.
Pros
free meals, paid lunches
Cons
shift hours and sleep overs
All staff in St. Michaels House are very friendly and nice not only to people that are there on work experience especially to the service users. The service users came in every day with a smile on their faces and when i seen that i knew it was a very friendly place to be. The manager of is a very nice person and she is very welcoming and makes you feel involved in the day to day activities each week especially when i was not after been there every day each week. I learned alot about people with special needs and how difficult it is for them and their families. The most enjoyable part of going to St. Michaels House each week was going over i loved been there each week. I loved taking part in the classes with the service users like the art and bead classes.
Pros
Interacting with service users.
Cons
Its Voluntary, Can't Beat that satisfaction. Helping People Who need it really gives you a kick.
learned how to care for and interact with clients with intellectual disabilities in a compassionate manner. allowed clients to live as normal as possible a life while staying in coolfin.
I spend 12 weeks as a student working 35 hourly weeks alongside a key worker at this day centre. I would begin the day particpating in team meetings and discussing the daily needs of clients. I would then participate in daily activites at the centre such as art, cooking, meditation and sports. I learned many skills from this experience as I developed a 6 week training programme on personal care for 6 female clients at this unit. I became independant and learned to work well from my own inititative. My co-workers wre helpfull and helped me develop my own skills. However I felt not enough emphasis was based on what the clients wanted to particpate in and more placed on what the routine was. The hardest part of the job was not being able to take the lead in particular situations as my role of a student did no involve overtaking my key workers. The most enjoyable part of the experience was reflecting on the 6 week programme and discovering its success amongst the clients and how their personal care improved. I enjoyed the opportunity of being involved in the lifes of the clients I had worked with.
ST Michaels house special national school is a lovely place to work
The work can be hard and challenging but enjoyable .

The staff and principal are lovely and very easy to get on with.

The experience I gain is invaluable.

I work in ST Michaels House on a subbing basis when there is someone out sick they will call me to cover them.
Pros
excellent experience gained
Cons
no cons