Supermacs Employee Reviews

Featured review
Supermacs selected this as a representative review
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 June 2019
Supermac's was a fun place to work and I made friends for life there. I learned lots of skills working here, such as team work, cash handling, customer service, working under pressure, time management, HACCP, and Manual Handling. It also made me much more aware of how businesses work. They provided full training and are flexible when it comes to working hours, although sometimes rotas were put up at the last minute.

They also have a career development programme for employees that want to pursue a career in management. They offer subsidised food, which is a bonus. The management were strict but fair and were able to have a laugh every now and then. My manager organised a birthday cake for me, which was really nice.

The only reason I left was to pursue a job in the area I obtained my degree in. Overall, I would definitely recommend Supermac's as a great place to work.
Pros
Subsidised meals, great team working environment, opportunity to advance career
Cons
Sometimes the rotas were put up last minute, can be very busy at times
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Killarney, County Kerry12 November 2019
Very good menagment, very peaceful staff, a bit hard work because is very busy place. Kitchen should be upgrade up to time which we have now otherwise it's good place to work.
Bad
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Clonmel, County Tipperary27 October 2019
I was treated horribly and given ridiculous hours because they didn't know how to keep/hire the right staff. The manager ended up hiring a lot of 16 year olds who cannot legally work after a certain time of night which put immense pressure on me and other staff to work the worst shifts consistently. Managers didn't care about staffit.
Flexible for students, dirty work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Donegal Town, County Donegal29 September 2019
Managers are a mix, some are creepy, some are lazy and some are hard to deal with, do not up skill unless you want to work more for the same price, ask for days up before the rota goes up or else there is no chance of you getting off.
Joke
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ireland26 September 2019
Useless organisation does not care about its staff or its customers Hr department is a joke who talk down to you and try force you to sign contracts and policys that you don't understand and aren't aloud to to let others look at your contract biggest shower of pricks going
Workplace bullying from management
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Galway (head office)23 September 2019
Micro management is the norm. Managers can be bullies (maybe not all managers, but mine absolutely was).

They'll try to get as much as possible out of you for as little as possible, so don't expect to be treated well or to get lots of perks or benefits.

Things change at the drop of a hat, so you could be working on something for a week and then it will suddenly be completely changed or cancelled or something will happen and if you don't have whatever the replacement is good to go in a flash then somehow you're the problem.
Bad
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford14 September 2019
Bad work/life balance
Higher up management are a joke
No ways to advance in the company
They always expect more from you , your best isn’t good enough
great place to start if you have had no experience in retail
Restaurant assistant/ Cook (Former Employee) –  Fermoy, County Cork2 September 2019
a typical day would involve cooking and cleaning, i learned how to deal with customers and working tills as it was my first job where i learned to use them, the hardest part of the job was the rush of people that would come in and cleaning up after. i really enjoyed the people working there.
Tullamore
Grill Chef/Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Tullamore, County Offaly23 August 2019
Bad franchise owner in Tullamore, promise a permanent contract then laid me off before 6month period, despite claiming l was the best worker .Any way bad experience sadly
good workplace, one of the best ever had
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Ireland21 August 2019
Specially for young people, I would recommend this company. U'll get great experience in customer service: filling location papers, counting money, dealing with customers.
Firm but fair work
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Kiltullagh, County Galway22 July 2019
My normal job was a general running of day to day operations. It was fast paced and always went quick as were busy. The most enjoyable part was dealing with the amount of different people, although not every customer was nice.The workplace culture was fun and everyone got on in general if they pulled they're weight.
Pros
Good place to learn and nice customers
Worst place on the planet to work
Service staff (Current Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois19 July 2019
Absolutely terrible place to work. Managers could care less about there staff. Some managers spoke to you as if you were completely stupid. Pure favoritism towards other members of staff. I found that if you had a really outgoing and fun sense of humor you got on well with the managers which led to that member not doing the jobs they were assigned which then led to other staff complaints and managers not listening. NEVER AGREE TO NIGHT SHIFT. Working full time night shift is the worst thing you could ever do. Long shifts, on Saturdays we would do 12 hours with a 1 hour break broken into 3 so it would be a half hour lunch and two 15 min breaks throughout the night. Have to clean and prepare absolutely everything for morning staff, all they basically do is come in, turn everything on and serve. Completely take advantage of young people, some managers were afraid to say things to other managers because they knew it would cause a problem so they kept quiet to avoid an issue, way to many hours, you get trained (ish) on nearly everything so they can uses you to do multiple jobs at once. Unfair wages, if you want better pay you have to demand it, no raise if you’re there longer than others. One person that worked there for 30+ years was on the same wage for all of it whilst people who were there for 3 years were earning much, much more. They also leave night shift extremely short staffed on some of the busiest nights of the year, so we end up staying an extra hour or more to clean everything for the next day. Believe me when I say crying in the bathroom during shifts will become a  more... norm. The only thing there to support you is your co-workers. Also you’re payed under minimum wage as they take 25c an hour off you for “staff food” which after a full week is about €10 for terrible food, and it doesn’t matter if you eat it or not.  less
Pros
Great staff, life long friends made
Cons
Absolutely everything, terrible wage, unfair treatment, extremely long hours, over worked, under appreciated, terrible management
the worst
General Operative (Current Employee) –  Kinnegad, County Westmeath6 July 2019
never have i worked in a place where managers and superviser's think they can speak to staff in such a rude manner,maybe if they treated staff with respect they would not have such a high turn over of staff. Management are the cause of most of the problems within the store
Pros
Cons
food is dreadful, no wonder they give vouchers to staff forced to eat the food.
Is a good work environment
Supermacs block laying (Current Employee) –  Ferbane, County Offaly27 June 2019
Very good service treated staff fairly made me want to stay on but want to get an apprenticeship as I feel I need to do something else and to be able to experience other work
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours and always on weekends
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  offaly20 May 2019
Dealing with Customers
Working in Kitchen and drive thru
also on pizza's
Managers are great
well on the weekends the work is always hard cause its busysothats why you need a good team around you
getting compliments off customers
Pros
making friends
Cons
money
Productive, busy and welcoming.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork9 May 2019
Was there when it opened. Generally good management. Quite high turnover rate but you will be fine if you are willing to work hard. Customers are generally easy to work with as well.
Pros
Friendly managent.
Cons
No perks. Pay full price for food in store. No discount.
horrible place to work
Till operator and Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin1 May 2019
alot of favours between manager/supervisors and their favourate staff , alot of racism happening in this place, poor management, no work culture, absolute disgrace.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
unfairness where others do alot of jobs than other
Intense workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilkenny, UK11 April 2019
Night shifts were a killer.
Employees are very friendly.
Management could be intense but listened when needed.
Learned valuable communication skills.
Could be a very happy atmosphere.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Night shifts
place is nice, but not the customers
Manager assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 March 2019
Sometimes can be chalenging to keep up with they standards and new promotions. quite demanding work, you have to be strong to stay all day on feet and still smile
Treated like rubbish and taken for granted
Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  County Cork21 February 2019
I gave the company so much of my time and effort, but I was taken advantage of and 'messed around'. My attempts to advance were not taken seriously. Every time I approached management about it, it was pushed out with some new excuse. Even when it came to my pay, it was not taken seriously. Managers didn't even know if they had given me a raise or not. Watching others be approached about raises despite working there half the time I did was disheartening, and I did not appreciate my own pay being treated so flippantly.

There was blatant favoritism, where some employees were treated differently to others. We were expected to be at the constant beck and call of the manager, who would act annoyed towards us if we couldn't cover a shift last-minute. That said, the store manager was very accommodating when it came to requests or complaints.
Despite having training in all for the stations, I was denied official training qualifications (my safety training for each station being signed off on) whilst it was simply 'handed' to others.
My colleagues were the only thing that made the job half bearable.

buses made the job exceptionally difficult. The managers' solution to predictably large crowds was to simply start shouting at staff for not being at their station, despite the staff covering that station due to short-staffing.

Staff don't even get free lunch or even a decent discount. Staff food is €8.50 per day. 25c per hour is taken out of your pay for 'staff food'. With the constantly increasing prices, the staff food covers less and less. It's a joke
Pros
Worked with some very nice people
Cons
Finishes until 2:30am, pay not taken seriously, favouritism
Excellent Family Orientated restaurant
Till management (Current Employee) –  Portlaoise20 February 2019
Fabulously friendly company to work for.
Management are incredibly understanding and incredibly helpful towards students within the business.
A pleasure to work for.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
staff food deducted from wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Supermacs. Our community is ready to answer.