Supermacs Pay & Benefits reviews

Featured review
Supermacs selected this as a representative review
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 June 2019
Supermac's was a fun place to work and I made friends for life there. I learned lots of skills working here, such as team work, cash handling, customer service, working under pressure, time management, HACCP, and Manual Handling. It also made me much more aware of how businesses work. They provided full training and are flexible when it comes to working hours, although sometimes rotas were put up at the last minute.

They also have a career development programme for employees that want to pursue a career in management. They offer subsidised food, which is a bonus. The management were strict but fair and were able to have a laugh every now and then. My manager organised a birthday cake for me, which was really nice.

The only reason I left was to pursue a job in the area I obtained my degree in. Overall, I would definitely recommend Supermac's as a great place to work.
Pros
Subsidised meals, great team working environment, opportunity to advance career
Cons
Sometimes the rotas were put up last minute, can be very busy at times
Understaffed and under paid
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  County Westmeath2 January 2020
There is always a shortage of staff which means that you have to do other peoples jobs while trying to do your own job That wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't a busy store And all u get is minimum wage for your efforts
Hard and Fast paced
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monasterevin, County Kildare1 December 2019
While working in supermacs provides you with the opportunity to make a decent wage and allows you to progress, it does not come without high stress levels and constant hard work. it require you to work hard all the time in order to deal with how busy it can be
Fast paced, pressured environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birr, County Offaly26 November 2019
Supermacs is a very fast paced working environment. Having experienced working in a few different Supermacs locations, although some were very pleasant and motivating, the majority of the management staff I witnessed were mostly extremely rude and intimidating to certain staff there and made it a very difficult place to work for them. Praise was rarely given and when mistakes were made staff were belittled. There is not an efficient work system in place for busy periods and staff were often left confused and overwhelmed so much so that mistakes occurred. However, it can be an enjoyable place to work if you enjoy fast past paced environments, I also made many friends throughout my employment there and gained many new skills and qualities.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Killarney, County Kerry12 November 2019
Very good menagment, very peaceful staff, a bit hard work because is very busy place. Kitchen should be upgrade up to time which we have now otherwise it's good place to work.
Workplace bullying from management
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Galway (head office)23 September 2019
Micro management is the norm. Managers can be bullies (maybe not all managers, but mine absolutely was).

They'll try to get as much as possible out of you for as little as possible, so don't expect to be treated well or to get lots of perks or benefits.

Things change at the drop of a hat, so you could be working on something for a week and then it will suddenly be completely changed or cancelled or something will happen and if you don't have whatever the replacement is good to go in a flash then somehow you're the problem.
Worst place on the planet to work
Service staff (Current Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois19 July 2019
Absolutely terrible place to work. Managers could care less about there staff. Some managers spoke to you as if you were completely stupid. Pure favoritism towards other members of staff. I found that if you had a really outgoing and fun sense of humor you got on well with the managers which led to that member not doing the jobs they were assigned which then led to other staff complaints and managers not listening. NEVER AGREE TO NIGHT SHIFT. Working full time night shift is the worst thing you could ever do. Long shifts, on Saturdays we would do 12 hours with a 1 hour break broken into 3 so it would be a half hour lunch and two 15 min breaks throughout the night. Have to clean and prepare absolutely everything for morning staff, all they basically do is come in, turn everything on and serve. Completely take advantage of young people, some managers were afraid to say things to other managers because they knew it would cause a problem so they kept quiet to avoid an issue, way to many hours, you get trained (ish) on nearly everything so they can uses you to do multiple jobs at once. Unfair wages, if you want better pay you have to demand it, no raise if you’re there longer than others. One person that worked there for 30+ years was on the same wage for all of it whilst people who were there for 3 years were earning much, much more. They also leave night shift extremely short staffed on some of the busiest nights of the year, so we end up staying an extra hour or more to clean everything for the next day. Believe me when I say crying in the bathroom during shifts will become a  more... norm. The only thing there to support you is your co-workers. Also you’re payed under minimum wage as they take 25c an hour off you for “staff food” which after a full week is about €10 for terrible food, and it doesn’t matter if you eat it or not.  less
Pros
Great staff, life long friends made
Cons
Absolutely everything, terrible wage, unfair treatment, extremely long hours, over worked, under appreciated, terrible management
Is a good work environment
Supermacs block laying (Current Employee) –  Ferbane, County Offaly27 June 2019
Very good service treated staff fairly made me want to stay on but want to get an apprenticeship as I feel I need to do something else and to be able to experience other work
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours and always on weekends
Productive, busy and welcoming.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork9 May 2019
Was there when it opened. Generally good management. Quite high turnover rate but you will be fine if you are willing to work hard. Customers are generally easy to work with as well.
Pros
Friendly managent.
Cons
No perks. Pay full price for food in store. No discount.
Treated like rubbish and taken for granted
Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  County Cork21 February 2019
I gave the company so much of my time and effort, but I was taken advantage of and 'messed around'. My attempts to advance were not taken seriously. Every time I approached management about it, it was pushed out with some new excuse. Even when it came to my pay, it was not taken seriously. Managers didn't even know if they had given me a raise or not. Watching others be approached about raises despite working there half the time I did was disheartening, and I did not appreciate my own pay being treated so flippantly.

There was blatant favoritism, where some employees were treated differently to others. We were expected to be at the constant beck and call of the manager, who would act annoyed towards us if we couldn't cover a shift last-minute. That said, the store manager was very accommodating when it came to requests or complaints.
Despite having training in all for the stations, I was denied official training qualifications (my safety training for each station being signed off on) whilst it was simply 'handed' to others.
My colleagues were the only thing that made the job half bearable.

buses made the job exceptionally difficult. The managers' solution to predictably large crowds was to simply start shouting at staff for not being at their station, despite the staff covering that station due to short-staffing.

Staff don't even get free lunch or even a decent discount. Staff food is €8.50 per day. 25c per hour is taken out of your pay for 'staff food'. With the constantly increasing prices, the staff food covers less and less. It's a joke
Pros
Worked with some very nice people
Cons
Finishes until 2:30am, pay not taken seriously, favouritism
Poor management , not a pleasant enviroment to work in
Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longford21 June 2018
Not adequate training , poor management structure leading to one saying one thing another saying another !! Poor communication, you can not raise issues in a professional way , you get sacked !!! If your face doesn't fit , one rule for one and another for someone else .
Not a pleasant atmosphere to work in under some of the management. Most staff are great , a supervisor who is wasted working they're would make a great manager. If you want to feel demoralised and no job satisfaction then perfect job . High turn over of staff says it all !
Pros
Cons
Everything from paying for uniform, to having money deducted for till shortages, between €12 and €14 taken for a cup of tea. Horrible staff room
poor
Fast Food Attendant (Current Employee) –  Carlow15 March 2018
.ment todrop every thing in ur life when they need u. when quite your sent home random hours. called in on days off. missed breaks long hours tween breaks
Pros
free lunch
Its okay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Galway21 January 2018
It is a busy environment to work in. I learned different skills from papa johns and supermacs. The job is hard when busy but okay when its quite and the time flies fast there.
Pros
minimum pay rate
Cons
hard work
Entertaining and diffucult place to work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick19 January 2018
Always busy with endless lists of tasks and jobs. I learned how to deal with heavy work loads with short time frames. Management were fine, occasional temper bursts. Hardest parts of the job were little breaks, little rest bite, long hours and no gratitude. Most enjoyable part of the job were the people i worked and the customers i met day in day out .
Pros
free drinks
Cons
Long Hours, Heavy workload little timeframe
Job work.life balance
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mallow, County Cork6 November 2017
Very poor they tells people they gonna work 45 hrs as a manager, but than they wnt you to work as many as 53 hrs per week. Job is good for peoplr ho have no family
Pros
nothing to be honest
fun
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Dublin2 November 2017
the good thing is that you have hours. the bad thing is you get low money to much thing to pay at work and working night... but for beggining its ok !!!!
Alright Job but not long term
WAIT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Thurles27 September 2017
When I was stared I was just happy to have a job but toxic staff and rude customers have jaded me.
It's a good job to get experience with but not long term
Pros
Free food
Cons
Night shifts
alright to be honest
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Longford City Centre, County Longford28 May 2017
worked there for a week and nobody knew my name but it was a nice place wish to get something similar so i can get some money in my pocket and something to do aswell
Pros
get to talk to customers
Cons
no pay
nice place
Food & Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway7 May 2017
everything all ok the staff really nice you can feel like at home menagment really nice no problem most of the times with any roster things....overall very very nice
Pros
free loundry
Intense
Catering assistant (Current Employee) –  Cobh, County Cork8 March 2017
Learned how to deal with complaints and acknowledgment of praise. High intensity. Long hours. Constant dealing of customers and cleaning. Enjoyable as everyone is friendly.
Pros
central location
cook
Cook (Former Employee) –  Carrick, UK27 February 2017
overall a bad place to work but if you cannot find a job at all this is the best job to go for because its easy work and you get free food on your breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Supermacs. Our community is ready to answer.