Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews

Best Job I've ever had!
Retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Castletroy, County Limerick12 December 2018
Absolutely amazing environment. Started there in June and I couldn't be happier. Not only are the management great, my co-workers are some of the nicest people I've ever met. After a month of working there, I asked would it be possible to receive more hours, and not even a week later I got them. The benefits are great, my paycheck is great. Couldn't of asked for a better experience. 10/10 :)
Pros
Excellent management, great hours
Management and atmosphere were awful.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford City Centre, County Waterford6 December 2018
Management when I worked in Supervalu were nothing but bullies. Often shouting at staff and in general treating staff with little respect. Met lots of great people working in Supervalu but it was a very depressing place to work, everyone in there just seemed to hate their lives. I started working there when I was 17 and my starting rate was €7.55 an hour. Due to the fact they're getting away with paying minors so little, the store almost only seemed to hire young people. It was only possible to get paid minimum wage after you had 2 years work experience and over 21.
Pros
Very sociable
Cons
Bad pay and Management
Lovely place to work
Assistant Butcher (Former Employee) –  Béal an Átha Móir, County Leitrim5 November 2018
Long hours to work. I learned plenty about customer service in this role. I was very pleasant to deal with and interacted very well with all my customers. The management structure in this store was excellent and I knew exactly who to contact if I ever encountered a problem. the hardest part of this job was constantly standing for 8 hours a day. I felt this quite tiresome but when you are busy the day doesn't be long slipping by. I enjoyed meeting customers everyday and having a chat with them all.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
standing all day
work experience placement 2017
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork3 November 2018
i enjoyed working here. the staff were always willing to give us a hand and teach us the requirements of working on the shop floor. overall i have found it a great experience and thankful for them taking me on for experience.
Good place
replenish hallways (Former Employee) –  Deansgrange, County Dublin2 November 2018
I was there just for the work experience and the place was good but wasn't a really well paid job I was working for a lot of hours and was a bored work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Productive and fun workplace.
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Greystones, County Wicklow12 October 2018
I started on the shelf packing as I had done when I was a kid in Dunnes Stores but was moved on to tills for my customer service skills. But never recieved further training.......
Pros
Cons
No free lunch
Good Start-Up Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 October 2018
My first job.

I gained a large experience in face to face customer communication, & can credit Supervalu with acquiring that skill

Job itself was not challenging, & ultimately I had to move on.

Good starting point for a student/post school
Pros
Good Employee Spirit
Cons
No Focus on Moral. No Promotional Incentive. No Bonus. UNdesirable Working Hours
Ok for a part-time job.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 September 2018
Supervalu was ok for a part-time job. I enjoyed who I worked with but didnt find managment helpful and the wages were not liveable. Hours ect were fine.
Pros
Distance.
Cons
Wages
Work Experience
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thomastown, County Kilkenny24 September 2018
I had one weeks work experience with Supervalu Thomastown in 2016. It was an enjoyable experience. The Staff were very helpful.
I learned a lot during my time in Supervalu.
Good atmosphere
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Dublin, County Dublin10 September 2018
Very nice people to work with. Great atmosphere. Great communication between staff and customers. Helpful. Cleaning the back, stacking Shelfs. Face checking.
fun workplace
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Donegal31 August 2018
This was a fun workplace but was hindered by the management that runs it. although the management is poor it is a rewarding place to work in accompanied by great staff.
Pros
staff
Cons
management
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clonmel, County Tipperary31 August 2018
Working at Supervalu Clonmel was a pleasant experience. As a 'shop floor' member of staff i enjoyed my role and every member of staff was friendly and great to work with. Staff turnover was a down fall of the job. Great atmosphere in the shop.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Always expected to work outside given hours.
great place to work
Cashier/retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath27 August 2018
I worked in Supervalu over a two year period. I got on very well with all my co-workers. I never had any problems with supervisors/management and my time there was a very happy time. I made lifelong friends.
Pros
days off during the week
Monotonous work
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kinsale, Co. Cork27 August 2018
Okay, its basically stacking shelves and its not difficult.

Biggest problem with this job is that you don't know when you will be asked to work from week to week. It can go from being asked to work overtime one week to being asked to only work something like 12 hours the following week. Pay rate would want to be very high for that not to be an issue.

Management seem to be trying to pick things up as they go along - they are often firefighting and quick to apportion blame when the smallest issue arises.
Pros
Nothing to speak of really
Cons
Haphazard style of management, unpredictable work hours, employees are intimidated into staying after hours if a certain manager hasn't inspected their work, employees are barely thanked for their contribution to the business
Fast-paced workplace
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lusk, County Dublin17 August 2018
SuperValu is a fast-paced workplace.
There's always something to do from 'facing off', assisting customers, working the tills to bringing out stock - you won't be sitting idle!
friendly and relaxed
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  County Mayo14 August 2018
friendly work environment. relaxed work environment. friendly staff, good relationship with colleagues able to work to a high standard enjoyable work life
Busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuam, County Galway5 August 2018
Very busy and fast- paced environment environment. However, long shifts and difficult to get time off due to staff shortages at times. Good environment all round
Employees there are all friendly
Sales Assistant - Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin28 July 2018
Doing work experience here was a good experience to have with friendly with fellow employees some customers were very disappointed with the service and some believed that we didn't care about them and blew them off
Pros
Get to know good people, meet new people
Cons
Had to pay for lunch
Friendly and efficient work environment
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ireland17 July 2018
checkouts, learned a lot about communication and building customer relationships. learning about he variety of products available and being able to explain the rewards programme. co-operative management and peers.
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Balbriggan, County Dublin2 July 2018
I worked on two occasions in this workplace. I worked a 45 hour week and each day I would rotate fruit and vegetables and ensure all the produce was in good condition. It gave me a fantastic experience of working in a busy customer service environment and the most enjoyable part was definitely meeting new customers each day as they entered the store. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer's abstract queries however it was satisfying being able to assist them.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long Hours