Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews

Horrible
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin14 October 2019
Horrible place to work full time can get 10 hours one week or 40 the next no chance in been able to get rent or a mortgage through working here management are useless aswell.
Wouldn't recommend it
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork City6 October 2019
I worked in Supervalu for a year out from college from September 2018 to October 2019. While working in retail and dealing with the public is great for character development, I must say for the work that is endured in this workplace the pay is in no means sufficient to meat the cost of living in any part of the Republic of Ireland. I have to say that the staff there are wonderful people and the owners of every store should appreciate there staff as it's there warmth and personality that brings back customers as its certainty not there prices! in my store, I personally like the management and the owners but when promoted to duty manager i felt my pay rise was very unreasonable and from starting my own side business this year, I have come to the conclusion that without people working hard in these stores to clean up ware houses, stack shelves, serve sometimes very ruse customers and follow over the top health and safety regulations there businesses and personal wealth would be non existent and they should very much respect there staff more and provide more decent wages. While Supervalu is great for providing students with part time jobs, if you happen to be in a situation where you are currently looking for a full time job, by all means avoid working for any job that offers anything starting at minimum wage as it's very likely you will be on or very close to that pay rate for the foreseeable future. take you time and find something that pays well and respects the work that you contribute to the business.
Terrible
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Tuam, County Galway26 September 2019
The HR manager was horrible to work with , the shop manager was a bully amd extremely nasty and the pay is awful with some people over the age of 18 below minimum wage which is highly unfair because they give them more hours for less pay.
Supervalu Kilbarry
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterford16 September 2019
Management very unreasonable.
No hours available.
Staff discount & Christmas bonus excellent
Colleagues like family
Holidays 4 wks a year
Own brand Excellent
Pros
Friends
Cons
No hours
Pleasant place to work
Newsagents’s (Current Employee) –  Tallaght, County Dublin14 September 2019
Unsociable hours and very limited to what hours you can do. Usually flexible with days off when required, however often times you will get the late evening shifts. Busy shop so kept busy throughout your shift which is always a plus
fun
Ireland (Former Employee) –  Limerick14 September 2019
it was a great place to work, everyone is extremely helpful and will help you fit in the best way possible , you gain great skills such as communication
Great staff
Shop Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dublin4 September 2019
I only worked part time so I was Mostly in work evenings for 5 or 6 hour shifts, the most enjoyable post of the job for me would have definitely been my coworkers
Nicest job with the nicest people.
Deli staff (Current Employee) –  Waterford2 September 2019
Supervalu has one of the nicest staff bodies I’ve ever encountered in my working life. Your managers are always so lovely and help you at the best of their ability. Training is fully provided. A truly great environment to work in
Worst employers ever
Baker (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath2 September 2019
zero care about the employees, Just slavery here. New staff get bullied by the senior staff. Management dosent care about it. too much work load given to be completed within only few hours
Pros
Cons
plenty
Not good
Baker (Former Employee) –  Westport, County Mayo1 September 2019
No training giving when starting. Expected to know what to do when not trained. The pay is shockingly bad to the job, it’s a very heavy work place for only minimum wage. Having to work during lunches and after finishing and not getting paid. But will be docked wages if late by only 1 minute. It’s 40 degrees in the stock room with no ac or drinking water throughout the store. The staff are all set into clicks and bully young new staff. Management will only stand up for the longest lasting staff members.
Pros
Cons
Bad wage.
Great for students seeking a part time job
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulla, County Clare24 August 2019
A great job while attending college. They allowed for very flexible hours and were very accommodating when time was needed off for study. I really enjoyed working here.
The stores I worked for were very understaffed and not well managed
Bakery Operative, Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dalkey, County Dublin22 August 2019
While we had staff managers refused to give existing staff the hours they needed and opted to hire more staff than the shop could handle. Leading to a lack of hours for full time staff.
The management skills of the store manager were very lacking and he felt a need to try intimidate staff by cutting hours and "miscalculating" pay
Cons
Hours. Pay. Training. Management.
Gone to the dogs
Sales assistant (full time) (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 August 2019
I uses to work for supervalu its was a great job at the start and then a new manger took over and thats where the trouble started shouting at staff members kicking stock and green crates and this was the shop manager. The management has a culture of bullying and has done nothing to stop it. Its all about money now not staff at all like at the start avoid working here if possible
I was unlucky with the Supervalu I worked for
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baile an Mhóta, County Sligo20 July 2019
Management was a joke.. The older staff all worked in clicks.. Money was absolutely shocking.. New Staff was treated like bolox.. I was accused of doing things I never did.
Honest Review of SuperValu
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork20 July 2019
My goal here is not to put people off working for a SuperValu branch near them, or to stop customers from shopping in SuperValu. I will however give a fully honest opinion on what it was like to work for SuperValu.

I was hired to work as a member of the deli. My first few days in the job were mostly fine, managers and other staff were quite helpful and constantly checking in to see if I was doing okay. HR manager at the time was lovely and did everything they could to help me settle in.

After about two weeks of working for SuperValu I began to notice a lot of issues. My biggest issue with SuperValu, and an issue I have heard is prevalent in many other SuperValu stores around the country, was the management. While they do their job effectively in terms of keeping the store operating every day, their people management skills are perhaps the worst that I have ever encountered in a job.

Management (including supervisors) would go out of their way to consistently undermine the staff at every opportunity. If a customer made a request, outside of our ability, management would still force us to fill the request (cutting through animal bone with a saw in the butchers when the butcher was on their lunch break, which Deli staff have had no training for). Management would be verbally abusive to staff, cussing at us and berating us (often to the point of tears). Of course this was only done away from the view of customers, after all, they wouldn't want to damage their reputation.

As a college student I had exams that I would need to book off shifts for in order to either
  more... study or sit the actual exam. In particular, during Christmas I asked for half a week off to study for my end of year exams (several weeks in advance), and my request was denied. A co-worker informed me that she overheard the supervisor laughing about this when they were making out the roster for that week, saying it would be funny to do that to me while I was stressed with study for exams.

Management also had very little tact, or care for employee well-being. On several occasions management would give verbal warnings to female members of staff for being on their period and needing to take care of their sanitary needs/taking a particularly bad day off. Management also had no care for employee mental health, with one manager actually berating staff for having depression and/or anxiety. In a modern workplace, this conduct is appalling. Of note, SuperValu is also not part of any trade union, so any issues with management falls on deaf ears as the managers are all quite tight-knit and would back each other up even if undeniably in the wrong.

The best word I can use to describe the work culture of SuperValu is toxic. Management and supervisors make what would be a very average, monotonous job, into a nightmare.

I will always be thankful for the company for giving me experience when I had none (taking on young, inexperienced staff is their one good quality), however I can never forgive the way they treated myself, as well as other staff members. The experience of working over a year with the organisation has left me with a very bad feeling any time I step foot into a SuperValu store.

If you're low on experience, and can't find a job, SuperValu might be the lucky break to bridge that gap. However, I would not recommend working here to anyone who expects to be treated with respect or equality.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, only thing that made the job worthwhile.
Cons
Bad management, lack of flexibility, no care for employee well-being.
Great
Ireland / Store Worker (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 July 2019
Interacted with the customers to resolve their queries related to the product.
Managed inventory
Greeted customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
Opened and closed cash registers.
Performed tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
Improvedreputation,serviceandhighstandardsofthestore.
Some nice staff, terrible top management
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clare16 July 2019
No set hours, even though you have a contract, you might only get 12 hours some weeks, and then 30 hours another week. Too many new staff been taken on, and then he starts given them all the hours, and cuts all the other people's hours. Too much favouritism for 1 staff member in particular, so very low morale. No praise, only great to criticise. No internal rewards or raises in wages, only the minimum. Would be a great store to work in, if we had a proper boss/ manager over us
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Bad bad management
If you enjoy the work and have good working relationship with your work colleagues them it is enjoyable
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashbourne, County Meath14 July 2019
It gave the experience in Working big supermarket, learning about pricing,facing off helping customers find the items they want and maybe encouraging them to buy more. Checking that store stock was up to date. Dealing with customers.. I was working on the till on busy peak times (Christmas time) Counting the money in my till at the end of the shift. Watch out for shop lifters. I was working in a times when we had no camera in the store. I feel I work well with management. Also watching out for people shoplifting.
Checking out for counterfeit money. Dealing with customers who were refused alcohol when they were under age. Some customers were not happy when you asked for ID proof of age.
Pros
I worked evening times it was not so busy I was student so they made times suitable for time shifts
Cons
We were not entitled to free lunches.
Bad workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lucan, County Dublin10 July 2019
I worked here for 10 months got the worst hours bad pay never put you full time give you hours like 2-10 3 times a week then 6-1 wouldn't go back they bully young people in SUPERVALU LUCAN wousnt work there if I was paid triple what I got
Pros
Nothing free
Wrong man wrong role
Bakery and Duty manager (Current Employee) –  Kinsale, County Cork7 July 2019
Too many managers, the amount of waste is not recorded truthfully, the quality of the bread is very poor , cheap ingredients equals cheap , managers cutting each other’s throats to get on
Pros
Cons
Cheap nasty cakes and bread