Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews

The stores I worked for were very understaffed and not well managed
Bakery Operative, Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dalkey, County Dublin22 August 2019
While we had staff managers refused to give existing staff the hours they needed and opted to hire more staff than the shop could handle. Leading to a lack of hours for full time staff.
The management skills of the store manager were very lacking and he felt a need to try intimidate staff by cutting hours and "miscalculating" pay
Cons
Hours. Pay. Training. Management.
Gone to the dogs
Sales assistant (full time) (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 August 2019
I uses to work for supervalu its was a great job at the start and then a new manger took over and thats where the trouble started shouting at staff members kicking stock and green crates and this was the shop manager. The management has a culture of bullying and has done nothing to stop it. Its all about money now not staff at all like at the start avoid working here if possible
Honest Review of SuperValu
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork20 July 2019
My goal here is not to put people off working for a SuperValu branch near them, or to stop customers from shopping in SuperValu. I will however give a fully honest opinion on what it was like to work for SuperValu.

I was hired to work as a member of the deli. My first few days in the job were mostly fine, managers and other staff were quite helpful and constantly checking in to see if I was doing okay. HR manager at the time was lovely and did everything they could to help me settle in.

After about two weeks of working for SuperValu I began to notice a lot of issues. My biggest issue with SuperValu, and an issue I have heard is prevalent in many other SuperValu stores around the country, was the management. While they do their job effectively in terms of keeping the store operating every day, their people management skills are perhaps the worst that I have ever encountered in a job.

Management (including supervisors) would go out of their way to consistently undermine the staff at every opportunity. If a customer made a request, outside of our ability, management would still force us to fill the request (cutting through animal bone with a saw in the butchers when the butcher was on their lunch break, which Deli staff have had no training for). Management would be verbally abusive to staff, cussing at us and berating us (often to the point of tears). Of course this was only done away from the view of customers, after all, they wouldn't want to damage their reputation.

As a college student I had exams that I would need to book off shifts for in order to either
  more... study or sit the actual exam. In particular, during Christmas I asked for half a week off to study for my end of year exams (several weeks in advance), and my request was denied. A co-worker informed me that she overheard the supervisor laughing about this when they were making out the roster for that week, saying it would be funny to do that to me while I was stressed with study for exams.

Management also had very little tact, or care for employee well-being. On several occasions management would give verbal warnings to female members of staff for being on their period and needing to take care of their sanitary needs/taking a particularly bad day off. Management also had no care for employee mental health, with one manager actually berating staff for having depression and/or anxiety. In a modern workplace, this conduct is appalling. Of note, SuperValu is also not part of any trade union, so any issues with management falls on deaf ears as the managers are all quite tight-knit and would back each other up even if undeniably in the wrong.

The best word I can use to describe the work culture of SuperValu is toxic. Management and supervisors make what would be a very average, monotonous job, into a nightmare.

I will always be thankful for the company for giving me experience when I had none (taking on young, inexperienced staff is their one good quality), however I can never forgive the way they treated myself, as well as other staff members. The experience of working over a year with the organisation has left me with a very bad feeling any time I step foot into a SuperValu store.

If you're low on experience, and can't find a job, SuperValu might be the lucky break to bridge that gap. However, I would not recommend working here to anyone who expects to be treated with respect or equality.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, only thing that made the job worthwhile.
Cons
Bad management, lack of flexibility, no care for employee well-being.
Great
Ireland / Store Worker (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 July 2019
Interacted with the customers to resolve their queries related to the product.
Managed inventory
Greeted customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
Opened and closed cash registers.
Performed tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
Improvedreputation,serviceandhighstandardsofthestore.
Some nice staff, terrible top management
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clare16 July 2019
No set hours, even though you have a contract, you might only get 12 hours some weeks, and then 30 hours another week. Too many new staff been taken on, and then he starts given them all the hours, and cuts all the other people's hours. Too much favouritism for 1 staff member in particular, so very low morale. No praise, only great to criticise. No internal rewards or raises in wages, only the minimum. Would be a great store to work in, if we had a proper boss/ manager over us
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Bad bad management
If you enjoy the work and have good working relationship with your work colleagues them it is enjoyable
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashbourne, County Meath14 July 2019
It gave the experience in Working big supermarket, learning about pricing,facing off helping customers find the items they want and maybe encouraging them to buy more. Checking that store stock was up to date. Dealing with customers.. I was working on the till on busy peak times (Christmas time) Counting the money in my till at the end of the shift. Watch out for shop lifters. I was working in a times when we had no camera in the store. I feel I work well with management. Also watching out for people shoplifting.
Checking out for counterfeit money. Dealing with customers who were refused alcohol when they were under age. Some customers were not happy when you asked for ID proof of age.
Pros
I worked evening times it was not so busy I was student so they made times suitable for time shifts
Cons
We were not entitled to free lunches.
Bad workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lucan, County Dublin10 July 2019
I worked here for 10 months got the worst hours bad pay never put you full time give you hours like 2-10 3 times a week then 6-1 wouldn't go back they bully young people in SUPERVALU LUCAN wousnt work there if I was paid triple what I got
Pros
Nothing free
Wrong man wrong role
Bakery and Duty manager (Current Employee) –  Kinsale, County Cork7 July 2019
Too many managers, the amount of waste is not recorded truthfully, the quality of the bread is very poor , cheap ingredients equals cheap , managers cutting each other’s throats to get on
Pros
Cons
Cheap nasty cakes and bread
Terrible work environment
Head of food production (Former Employee) –  Austin friar street Mullingar Co Westmeath3 July 2019
In my interview I was told that the aim for supervalue was to cook fresh food and to improve the brand.
The main supplier for Supervalue is Musgraves who made all the salads and prepacked meals which supervalue were expected to push to improve the margin.
That was not in my remit.
Pros
No night hours
Cons
A very nepitous management system
Manipulative and aggressive workplace. Two poor excuses for for managers also
Deli Assistant/Bakery (Former Employee) –  Boyle, County Roscommon24 June 2019
Worked hard every single day at times doing 12-13 hour shifts. Never got paid for over time. I got tricked into covering a manager's position while she was on maternity leave not realizing I was going to have no choice but to continue this manager role full time with no pay increase or title change. I was made work without a valid contract for about 8 months so would have never had a leg to stand on if I did kick up a fuss.
Had belongings of mine stolen several times including money. On morning in particular I was in the shop at half 5 in the morning to open the bakery section and I didnt get home until 8/8:30 that night. 15 hours. Most of the senior staff are nothing but bullies that feel because they have they're entire heads shoved right inside the managers backside they have some form of power. Which is actually allowed at times by the Ogre himself. I've often been made stay and work behind the deli counter serving food with a vomiting bug. Literally running upstairs every 20 mins to throw up, then back down to half assivley slap together a poxy chicken fillet roll. The fact the hard workers are battered and abused to where the fat lazy horrible woman who does nothing but talk pure nonsense to customers, and gives the deli staff a hard time because she used to be someone, gets a managerial wage is beyond what I can even begin to comprehend. Shows God has a sense of humour with an ugly creep like her on the planet atleast. She has even went as far as eating food with her big fat greasy smelly bare fingers out of Salad bowls, hot counters, meat/cheese displays and even
  more... drinking milk out of the carton used to fill our coffee machine, and i could go on.
Never Again.
Pros
Sometimes you might hurt yourself and get to leave.
Cons
Wage, hours, managment, majority of staff. All managers.
Christmas temporary
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin West, County Dublin22 June 2019
Did christmas temporary staff and none of us were hired again after the week, we were some of the only ones left in on Christmas eve, younger staff members lovely but the older ones werent.Terrible hours no weekends off if you do get A JOB
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible hours, dont hire again
Not very fond memories
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raheny, County Dublin20 June 2019
I was working on the deli.

Let me begin by saying that the other members of deli staff were absolutely lovely to me and I would have 100% loathed this job if not for their kindness. They were extremely respectful and welcoming to me, and while I'm sure I wasn't the fastest learner they always treated me with respect and kindness. The work was overwhelming at times, especially when lunch hour came, but my colleagues were always down-to-earth and kind to me. They're a lovely bunch, that deli crew.

My main issue with the store was the management; I'm not here to smear anyone, I just want to speak honestly. The HR in SuperValu made me dread coming to work with her hostile and bullying nature. I can handle long lines of complaining customers who want you to move quicker, I can handle the monotonous tasks that deli work entails such as unloading boxes of frozen food and scrubbing ovens. I cannot handle the way that woman spoke to me, and I'm not the only one who has been treated this way in that shop - when I told others about it, the usual response was an understanding nod and "sounds like her alright".

I made good friends in this job and if not for them, I would have quit much sooner. The deli manager, is a lovely man who was consistently respectful and encouraging to me, while still providing honest feedback and helping me to learn. When I told him I was leaving and described the way I had been treated he responded very understandingly, wished me the best of luck and said that I am, quote "a lovely lad". Cheers.

Pay was standard, not much higher than minimum wage,
  more... which is fine if you're a student or looking for a summer job, but it's not great. No employee discounts - every lunch hour I made a sandwich for myself, left it in the counter, changed out of my uniform, went back, got the sandwich, then queued and paid full price. My break was 45 minutes and I was on the clock for all of the above. Was I a minute or two late a few times? Yes. Did I get berated for it? You bet.  less
Pros
Deli staff were lovely
Cons
Management are unpleasant
Good workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick17 June 2019
Good work place but could do with more staff benefits staff are discouraged to talk to each other in certain cases and the only benefits staff get are the bonus at Christmas time
Pros
Good understanding of staff circumstances
Cons
Low staff communication
It was fine.
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountbellew, County Galway14 June 2019
Take a minute to review Supervalu Ireland.
About your reviews:
NEVER included with your job applications
Posted anonymously on Indeed
Rate this company*required
Overall rating*
Awful Avoid working there
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Dublin, County Dublin22 May 2019
Worse management I have ever worked for.So bad all the regular customers remark on it.Workplace culture catty and childish.Its like going back to secondary school.The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the managers and supervisors abuse and intimidation while getting stick off annoyed customers.A typical day would be huge ques of miserable middle aged women scolding you while you try your best to scan they're shopping quickly to get them out the door.I learned to never work for supervalu.
Pros
No pros, the place is a joy vacuum
Cons
quality of life and mental health suffer, low pay
Productive and overall great workplace
General assistant (Former Employee) –  Buncrana, County Donegal21 May 2019
It's an overall enjoyable place to work, such nice staff to work with. Learnt alot of new skills eg. How to work more efficiently, better organisation, get a lot done in such a short time span etc. All the staff is so lovely to talk to and trys to help customers as much as they can. The management staff are a lovely bunch of people, always trying to help their staff and work colleagues. Most enjoyable part of the job would probably be helping customers when needed and meeting lots of new people everyday.
Currently working here
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare12 May 2019
The deli work here in SuperValu is great fun. The staff all around are friendly and are willing to help you if needed. You don’t get much benefits which is a down side.
Pros
Friendly staff good pay early enough finishes
Cons
No discounts
Bad bad bad
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lucan, County Dublin11 May 2019
This can be a bad company to work for. They will ring on days off. They will blame you for their own mistakes. You have to constantly case them for anything i.e missed pay, gettin holidays and so on. They expect you to go out of your way to help their sales. You are looked down apon if you dont shop in your shop. When you do shop, you are treated like an enploye not a customer.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Alot
Lovely colleagues, demanding work
Online/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Dublin, County Dublin8 May 2019
Typically asked to stay late/ go to work early. Managers are not happy to work around college timetables, especially around exams. However. much training is provided at the start of employment which makes it a lot easier to first start a job here. Decent pay, however many colleagues were getting more for the same work carried out. Many tough customer situations to deal with daily but it is easy to discover how to deal with them with experience
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unpredictable and long hours
Do not work here
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Dublin21 April 2019
you get paid really bad and you are treated like slaves. you get no free lunches, there is no staff and the management is horrible to younger staff members
Pros
there is none
Cons
long hours, bad pay, horrible management