Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews in Cork

Wouldn't recommend it
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork City6 October 2019
I worked in Supervalu for a year out from college from September 2018 to October 2019. While working in retail and dealing with the public is great for character development, I must say for the work that is endured in this workplace the pay is in no means sufficient to meat the cost of living in any part of the Republic of Ireland. I have to say that the staff there are wonderful people and the owners of every store should appreciate there staff as it's there warmth and personality that brings back customers as its certainty not there prices! in my store, I personally like the management and the owners but when promoted to duty manager i felt my pay rise was very unreasonable and from starting my own side business this year, I have come to the conclusion that without people working hard in these stores to clean up ware houses, stack shelves, serve sometimes very ruse customers and follow over the top health and safety regulations there businesses and personal wealth would be non existent and they should very much respect there staff more and provide more decent wages. While Supervalu is great for providing students with part time jobs, if you happen to be in a situation where you are currently looking for a full time job, by all means avoid working for any job that offers anything starting at minimum wage as it's very likely you will be on or very close to that pay rate for the foreseeable future. take you time and find something that pays well and respects the work that you contribute to the business.
Honest Review of SuperValu
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork20 July 2019
My goal here is not to put people off working for a SuperValu branch near them, or to stop customers from shopping in SuperValu. I will however give a fully honest opinion on what it was like to work for SuperValu.

I was hired to work as a member of the deli. My first few days in the job were mostly fine, managers and other staff were quite helpful and constantly checking in to see if I was doing okay. HR manager at the time was lovely and did everything they could to help me settle in.

After about two weeks of working for SuperValu I began to notice a lot of issues. My biggest issue with SuperValu, and an issue I have heard is prevalent in many other SuperValu stores around the country, was the management. While they do their job effectively in terms of keeping the store operating every day, their people management skills are perhaps the worst that I have ever encountered in a job.

Management (including supervisors) would go out of their way to consistently undermine the staff at every opportunity. If a customer made a request, outside of our ability, management would still force us to fill the request (cutting through animal bone with a saw in the butchers when the butcher was on their lunch break, which Deli staff have had no training for). Management would be verbally abusive to staff, cussing at us and berating us (often to the point of tears). Of course this was only done away from the view of customers, after all, they wouldn't want to damage their reputation.

As a college student I had exams that I would need to book off shifts for in order to either
  more... study or sit the actual exam. In particular, during Christmas I asked for half a week off to study for my end of year exams (several weeks in advance), and my request was denied. A co-worker informed me that she overheard the supervisor laughing about this when they were making out the roster for that week, saying it would be funny to do that to me while I was stressed with study for exams.

Management also had very little tact, or care for employee well-being. On several occasions management would give verbal warnings to female members of staff for being on their period and needing to take care of their sanitary needs/taking a particularly bad day off. Management also had no care for employee mental health, with one manager actually berating staff for having depression and/or anxiety. In a modern workplace, this conduct is appalling. Of note, SuperValu is also not part of any trade union, so any issues with management falls on deaf ears as the managers are all quite tight-knit and would back each other up even if undeniably in the wrong.

The best word I can use to describe the work culture of SuperValu is toxic. Management and supervisors make what would be a very average, monotonous job, into a nightmare.

I will always be thankful for the company for giving me experience when I had none (taking on young, inexperienced staff is their one good quality), however I can never forgive the way they treated myself, as well as other staff members. The experience of working over a year with the organisation has left me with a very bad feeling any time I step foot into a SuperValu store.

If you're low on experience, and can't find a job, SuperValu might be the lucky break to bridge that gap. However, I would not recommend working here to anyone who expects to be treated with respect or equality.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, only thing that made the job worthwhile.
Cons
Bad management, lack of flexibility, no care for employee well-being.
Place i worked lovely staff and customers management very bad
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Cork9 April 2019
Would not recommend anyone to work in meat department treatment by management a disgrace my view pleanty of other jobs out there my opinion but everyone can decide for themselves advice think good and hard before moving jobs
Pros
Cons
No comment
good
SHOP ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  cork13 February 2019
its good. good pay. nice to meet people. Get to help many people. rewarding, nice to meet people from your local community. good people work here nice atmosphere
work experience placement 2017
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork3 November 2018
i enjoyed working here. the staff were always willing to give us a hand and teach us the requirements of working on the shop floor. overall i have found it a great experience and thankful for them taking me on for experience.
Fantastic people but management were terrible!
Junior butcher (Former Employee) –  Cork6 August 2018
I worked as a junior butcher and I loved the job, but the pressure of sales got too much as no matter how well u did at the end of the week according to management it still was not good enough and there was no such thing as a well done. Hours completely unreliable as you could go from very little to crazy hours the following week. Made some amazing friends there though as the floor staff are so friendly!
Pros
Very friendly
Cons
Long hours, ungrateful management
Hardworking
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork25 June 2018
I had to help customers and stock the shelves. I was also in the stock room which I had to sort everything right. I learned new skills and it helped me gain experience
Pros
Could get my lunches in there
Helpful and positive
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork9 December 2017
Amazing place for work experience there always there for you if you have trouble and they always show you the positive side of the job it can also led to fun workplace
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Must be always available
Ideal for young person /students
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork3 October 2017
No union but they would be flexible.
Low pay just basic minimum wage.
Busy work environment but good environment and management approachable.
Flexible rota.
Pros
Parking christmas bonus
Fun
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Cork25 September 2017
Enjoyed my time working at SuperValu . I made great friends working here while improving my overall job skills and people skills. I recommend SuperValu as a place of work
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
No benefits
Great place to work - if you're hired and paid properly
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Cork1 June 2017
I actually loved working here. The office was, in spite of being frequently busy, a fun place to work. No weekends, no overtime, just Monday to Friday, 9-5:30. Everyone was lovely to be around, and enjoyed what they were doing.

The problem I had was that the position I applied for was advertised as a full-time, permanent position. I was called in to do a few days of a test run to see if I'd hit the ground running or not, which I did. After nearly 2 weeks, I was told that the advertised position wasn't available "due to SuperValu changing their mind", but was kept on as a freelance designer, thinking I at least had my foot in the door for a future position if one opened up. Which it did.

The thing is, I wasn't told that once that person was gone, so was I. I finished up the same day as that person, back in September last year, and haven't been asked back since. No reference, no explanation. Had to fight tooth and nail to get my last month's pay, which sadly happened every month to anyone working freelance there, and have heard nothing from them since then.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
If you're freelance, don't expect secure pay, hours or a friendly goodbye
Stepping Stone
Sales Assistant, Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork31 January 2017
The job was used as a stepping stone to put myself through college and give myself the best opportunity to pursue the career I want. I am forever grateful for my first job and the experience it gave me
Fun and enjoyable
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork7 September 2016
Learning to deal with customers and stacking shelf's and working the check out. Cleaning and team work. Time management. Communication skills. Customer service.
Pros
Lovely team
Cons
It was a great workplace with great and helpful emplyers and employees.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Cork18 May 2016
- I would go in and get straight into packing shelves and did this throughout the day.

-I learned the work involved.

-Hardest part of the job was doing it and disbelief because there was so much to do.

- The most enjoyable part was after I did the work to the best of my ability it was rewarding done and organised.
Pros
I got an easter egg at the end of my work experience.
Cons
I cant complain.
It was a decent job not something you want to do for life
Storage assistent (Former Employee) –  Cork, C24 June 2015
I liked it, someday were boring but it was never complicated. The staff were friendly and kind the customers were also likeable I encountered no problems. On two of the days there was practically no work to do but that wasn't a major problem.
Pros
It was an easiey job no skill or effort
Cons
It was borning and somedays there was nothing to do
it wasnt to hard. people were very nice
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  togher cork city4 June 2015
I worked in super value as part of my course got to meet customers in real life situations even hard situations, it was a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
excellent for customers
Shop Assistant Deli and Bakery department (Former Employee) –  Cork,28 April 2015
this place is very close to domestic houses making it very easy to access for everyone, fresh fruits and vegetables are a big thing in this shop
Bad management, good co-workers
Baby Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cork18 November 2013
Every day you stack a shelves and face off.
You learn how to say no, they amount of work they try and get you to do is impossible in the 3.5 hours a day you are given. The management are not pleasant to work with they look down on you.
My co-workers are lovely and kind which gets you through work.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with management.
The most of enjoyable is the customers they make your day with their stories.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
little hours available, max 15 a week.