Supervalu Ireland
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier32 reviews
It was a busy store most of the time and there were mostly friendly coworkers. Management has your back when it counts which was really nice. Working with people of all ages so there was a diverse work culture. Hardest part of the job was the monotony of the job. It was affecting my health being on tills all day every day non stop so I often asked to go on the floor and help there when all the tills were taken but management refused and put other people on instead and told me just to stand there. Dealing with all different types of customers was very enjoyable as well as helping people with their shopping as it let me get exercise.
Pros
Good wage; friendly coworkers; management mostly has your back
Cons
Long hours; cold shop; being forced to stay up at the tills despite there being none free
Management is cold, distant and disconnected from hourly workers. Different department employees do not interact with each other. Work environment is uncomfortably regimented.
This company ensures that every customer is satisfied. SuperValu goal is to make sure they are treating customers with dignity and respect. Making groceries at SuperValu, is very family oriented. Employers make sure that customers enjoy their services there.
The other employees that I worked with were all very friendly. I became close with a lot of them that I use to work with. It was like we were all a huge family and took care of each other.
The. Managers wernt very good at their job and one was abusing his power and was getting a little rude.the other casheir were nice the customers were lovely i liked working there
Not a nice company to work for, after 13 years I was still on minimum wage but expected to do the same things as a manager. Never would you get a thank you for ANYTHING you do for them, your just expected to do it. Stay away if possible, unless you like been taken advantage of
Do love the people i work with and the customers. I just dont think they pay their staff enough or reward them for taking on other jobs. Everyone works together as part of a team.
Cons
Pay
It gave the experience in Working big supermarket, learning about pricing,facing off helping customers find the items they want and maybe encouraging them to buy more. Checking that store stock was up to date. Dealing with customers.. I was working on the till on busy peak times (Christmas time) Counting the money in my till at the end of the shift. Watch out for shop lifters. I was working in a times when we had no camera in the store. I feel I work well with management. Also watching out for people shoplifting.
Checking out for counterfeit money. Dealing with customers who were refused alcohol when they were under age. Some customers were not happy when you asked for ID proof of age.
Pros
I worked evening times it was not so busy I was student so they made times suitable for time shifts
Cons
We were not entitled to free lunches.
Typically asked to stay late/ go to work early. Managers are not happy to work around college timetables, especially around exams. However. much training is provided at the start of employment which makes it a lot easier to first start a job here. Decent pay, however many colleagues were getting more for the same work carried out. Many tough customer situations to deal with daily but it is easy to discover how to deal with them with experience
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unpredictable and long hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Supervalu Ireland?
Bad management makes the job a lot tougher than it is. Constantly micromanaged and treated like children. Not a lot of room for promotions. Shifts were short.
Took the Mick out of young wages for school kids - unpaid breaks, hate it when a company provides the absolute bare minimum for workers, no matter what age. No subsidised food, discounts, anything
This grocery store is a great start to being introduced to the retail work field. Due to this store being in a small neighbourhood, the busy periods did not last long, this is perfect for training to be a cashier. i learned how to operate a till, greet customers, organize product the most efficiently to be carried out of the store in a plastic bag, suggest products to customers based on what i notice them buy. The hardest part for me was to be faster in bagging groceries, i was so cautious id take longer than i expected too. the most enjoyable part was helping customers, i love sharing my knowledge on cooking and giving new insight to customers, thats something that has stuck with me still.
Pros
Not busy, friendly customers, in nice neighbourhood, close bus stops
Cons
no security, 1 cashier on
checkouts, learned a lot about communication and building customer relationships. learning about he variety of products available and being able to explain the rewards programme. co-operative management and peers.
It was a great place to work, I made lots of friends, and I have learnt how to deal with difficult customers. The shop has a really nice atmosphere where customers feel welcome.
Learned customer service skills and how to work with people
Laid back and friendly environment

Made lots of friends

Hardest part of job was juggling work and school
I could never say anything bad about working here as its a fun place to work. Every day you meet new people and sometimes you could be the only thing that makes them smile that day. The management are brilliant and love to see you get on well with the customers. The people that you work with turn into your second family. The hardest part of this job is to leave but unfortunately things have to change.
Pros
Staff cards
Not happy to work there at all. Family renting the business name. As family business they haven't been dealing justly with their staff at all.. Bad experience with bullying, a lot of stress at the end health issues
The place itself is very nice, and there is a wide variety of foods on offer for purchase, however there isn't many deals on and the overall price of the foods are quite expensive compared to other companies such as the Cooperative. It is an enjoyable place to work, however there is not many hours given to part time staff as I feel the owner takes on too many people
i found supervalu a great place to work . the hours where very reasonable and the management and staff where second to none
I enjoyed my time working in Supervalu but now I look forward to working in a more challenging environment and improving the skills that I have learned from my previous workplaces.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Not challenging
Great place to work, well looked after staff but in my opinion it has little to no advancement whatsoever. Management make you keep of receipts as they accost staff members at any time and excuse them of stealing.
Pros
Enjoyable work staff
Cons
Management suspicious of staff