Supervalu Ireland Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

Nicest job with the nicest people.
Deli staff (Current Employee) –  Waterford2 September 2019
Supervalu has one of the nicest staff bodies I’ve ever encountered in my working life. Your managers are always so lovely and help you at the best of their ability. Training is fully provided. A truly great environment to work in
Honest Review of SuperValu
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork20 July 2019
My goal here is not to put people off working for a SuperValu branch near them, or to stop customers from shopping in SuperValu. I will however give a fully honest opinion on what it was like to work for SuperValu.

I was hired to work as a member of the deli. My first few days in the job were mostly fine, managers and other staff were quite helpful and constantly checking in to see if I was doing okay. HR manager at the time was lovely and did everything they could to help me settle in.

After about two weeks of working for SuperValu I began to notice a lot of issues. My biggest issue with SuperValu, and an issue I have heard is prevalent in many other SuperValu stores around the country, was the management. While they do their job effectively in terms of keeping the store operating every day, their people management skills are perhaps the worst that I have ever encountered in a job.

Management (including supervisors) would go out of their way to consistently undermine the staff at every opportunity. If a customer made a request, outside of our ability, management would still force us to fill the request (cutting through animal bone with a saw in the butchers when the butcher was on their lunch break, which Deli staff have had no training for). Management would be verbally abusive to staff, cussing at us and berating us (often to the point of tears). Of course this was only done away from the view of customers, after all, they wouldn't want to damage their reputation.

As a college student I had exams that I would need to book off shifts for in order to either
  more... study or sit the actual exam. In particular, during Christmas I asked for half a week off to study for my end of year exams (several weeks in advance), and my request was denied. A co-worker informed me that she overheard the supervisor laughing about this when they were making out the roster for that week, saying it would be funny to do that to me while I was stressed with study for exams.

Management also had very little tact, or care for employee well-being. On several occasions management would give verbal warnings to female members of staff for being on their period and needing to take care of their sanitary needs/taking a particularly bad day off. Management also had no care for employee mental health, with one manager actually berating staff for having depression and/or anxiety. In a modern workplace, this conduct is appalling. Of note, SuperValu is also not part of any trade union, so any issues with management falls on deaf ears as the managers are all quite tight-knit and would back each other up even if undeniably in the wrong.

The best word I can use to describe the work culture of SuperValu is toxic. Management and supervisors make what would be a very average, monotonous job, into a nightmare.

I will always be thankful for the company for giving me experience when I had none (taking on young, inexperienced staff is their one good quality), however I can never forgive the way they treated myself, as well as other staff members. The experience of working over a year with the organisation has left me with a very bad feeling any time I step foot into a SuperValu store.

If you're low on experience, and can't find a job, SuperValu might be the lucky break to bridge that gap. However, I would not recommend working here to anyone who expects to be treated with respect or equality.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, only thing that made the job worthwhile.
Cons
Bad management, lack of flexibility, no care for employee well-being.
Currently working here
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Celbridge, County Kildare12 May 2019
The deli work here in SuperValu is great fun. The staff all around are friendly and are willing to help you if needed. You don’t get much benefits which is a down side.
Pros
Friendly staff good pay early enough finishes
Cons
No discounts
Very organised and learning new things everyday
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miltown Malbay, County Clare7 July 2018
My first job was in supervalue and they provided me excellent training to progress and move onto bigger things. What I enjoyed most was the atmosphere in the workplace, everyone was very out-going.
good
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton, County Dublin2 January 2018
supervalue in my ow opinion was a very professional and well run company to work for no real complaints with the management and overall working for the company was plesent
Fun and Efficient work place
Deli & Butcher Worker (Current Employee) –  Leitrim24 May 2016
SuperValu is a fun place to work with a great team and good work ethic. They provide a busy environment to work in yet I did not like the short notice of shifts. we would only be told on a Friday of our shifts for the following week.
Pros
varied hours
Cons
short notice of shifts
supervalu
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D30 September 2015
typically working hours were 12-6:30 or 9-6
while in the deli you would have to be alert at all times. there are many ovens on all at the same time which you must keep watch on, package the goods from and tray up again. All while serving customers and keeping the deli clean.The hot counter closed at 4 and the cold counter at 5.
An enjoyable job working for a friendly employer.
Deli Assistant/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wicklow, WW28 April 2015
I worked as part of a team behind the deli and I was also involved in shop floor packing and cleaning. I worked on the checkouts when the shop was busy.
a good place to work.
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Dublin West, D1 October 2014
I enjoyed doing my work experienced here i learned a lot of new skills and i was always kept busy.
Pros
free lunch
Fun place to work
Deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Oranmore, G19 August 2014
Management and co workers were all very professional and friendly.
Learnt a lot working here.
Fast paced environment
Cover Manager / Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford town, Ireland19 January 2014
Work would typically start at 6.30/7am depending on the shift rota. The deli would need to be stocked before opening and restocked throughout the day. Stock control was regularity monitored in order to place new orders in a timely fashion. Food and Safety Hygiene was of the utmost importance and was strictly adhered to.
I learned how to multi task in an extremely busy deli department that prepared and served both hot and cold food.
I got on really well with my co-workers which extended to outside working hours when we would often meet up.
The job itself, was very tough and demanding in relation to the working hours and the amount of manual lifting that was involved, but that was just part of the job and i accepted that and enjoyed my time while working here.
Pros
the people I worked with.
Cons
no room for career progression within the company.
ok not my best
Deli Staff and other tasks (Former Employee) –  Claremorris, MO24 October 2013
met some lovely people was earning money
had chats to new people learned new skills
fun
Pros
worked with friend
Cons
to long days
everyone was very friendly in the work place
worked in a deli (Former Employee) –  monaghan11 October 2012
a tyical evening i worked was usually five to nine . my work required serving custmers , cleaning this included scrubing floors usually, cleaning al equipment that was used earlier in the day. making bread crumbs and bagging them . wrapping food etc.
Pros
no free things
Cons
usually most hours i got a week was four