Supervalu Ireland
Supervalu Ireland Employee Review

Quite a poor place to work

20 January 2017
I worked here for a few months before having a workplace accident. I nearly severed my thumb. I received absolutely no training on how to cut meat, clean knives etc etc. Only after my accident did I get trained. I could and probably should have sued them.
I also got paid less than 7 euro an hour (aged 19) due to some loophole, as I was a 'trainee' and not an employee. Ironic, as I got no training until it was too late.

I found a lot of the staff to be really old-fashioned, small-town mentality etc. Racist, homophobic, misogynist.
Pros
Cons
poor pay, got no training, some stupid staff.
8 April 2019
Butchers Assistant (Former Employee) - Naas, County Kildare
Fellow employees were all fantastic, super friendly and welcoming. Most socialize outside of work and would regularly invite new people along.

Management is very old minded, they could do with fresh young thinkers. Most members of management are related to the store owners. The owners son struts around the store in a suit in a very unapproachable manner.

HR promise to sign you up to training at interview stage but nothing eventuates. HR and Management refuse to pay overtime but you are expected to work it atleast weekly.

The Rushe’s do not understand if your employee’s are happy there productivity goes up.

The deli and butcher department are forced to cover things up when FSAI turn up and if the inspector did a better job the whole store would be closed down.
Pros
Good breaks, Work colleagues are really friendly, Paid for the hours your rostered to work every week
Cons
Bad management, Minimum wage, Does not pay overtime, No store discount but your expected to buy from the store
5 November 2018
Assistant Butcher (Former Employee) - Béal an Átha Móir, County Leitrim
Long hours to work. I learned plenty about customer service in this role. I was very pleasant to deal with and interacted very well with all my customers. The management structure in this store was excellent and I knew exactly who to contact if I ever encountered a problem. the hardest part of this job was constantly standing for 8 hours a day. I felt this quite tiresome but when you are busy the day doesn't be long slipping by. I enjoyed meeting customers everyday and having a chat with them all.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
standing all day
29 January 2017
Same role
Assistant Butcher - Assistant Deli Server (Former Employee) - Donegal Town, County Donegal
interesting line of work in the butchers counter, alot of skills amounted because of it. Uncoordinated management and lack of communication made it un fun to work there.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Supervalu Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.