Teagasc Employee Reviews

Really nice place to work but salary and job security not very good
Dairy Technologist (Current Employee) –  Moorepark, Cork5 February 2019
Teagasc is an excellent place to work, with state of the art equipment and an excellent working atmosphere and very friendly co-workers. The hours are flexible too and the environment is not overly pressurised. However, the basic salary is pretty poor and there is little to no benefits or perks. Also, if you are employed on a medium to long term contract there is no guarantee of renewal; with very little job security given.
Easy going and productive.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford21 July 2018
Very easy going place to work personal as a lab assistant. Colleagues made it all the easier. Consists mostly of students on PhD’s. Found it very easy to work within the workplace.
Great
Researcher (Former Employee) –  IE22 June 2018
Great place to work. Tough and competitive environment, pity the long term career prospects are so few and far between and for only the chosen few. Great for CV.
Great.
Researcher (Former Employee) –  IE22 June 2018
harmonious and fun workplace
Kitchen Porter/Waiter (Former Employee) –  County Meath27 March 2018
Throughout the work day I had a copious amounts of tasks. tasks including: preparation of food, serving of food to the customer, use of the cash register, cleaning up of the kitchen and also porter duties.
Excellent, Genuinely lovely people
General Worker (Former Employee) –  Fermoy, County Cork30 January 2018
Worked here with the FRS, The guys at the pig research facility were very welcoming and lovely people, the work was enjoyable and fun and kept me interested throughout my short stay..
Cultural exchange at work
Internship as Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 January 2018
There is a high level of research. There are greats laboratories very well equipped, but the best thing about this company is the work environment: Everyone wants to make you feel as comfortable as possible. There are a lot of PhD students from different nationalities and they want that all of them feel like at home.
Pros
Two breaks
Cons
The way to arrive there.
Lovely Place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naas, County Kildare14 June 2017
Only having a brief time period, workinh for nothing it was a pleasure to work there, lovely employees working there, all of whom were extremely helpful
Pros
Free Tea and biscuits
productive and challenging
QC Analyst (Former Employee) –  dublin21 May 2017
I genuinely enjoyed my placement and the opportunity to learn more about the scientific techniques your company is involved in.
This work placement opportunity taught me a lot about new analytical techniques that can be applied in numerous research laboratories and it has also broadened my understanding of real-life applications
I really appreciated how supportive and friendly you and your staff were. From your organization, I learned how to carry out extraction following a designated (SOP) on products that are not ready to be injected into a system. Also one of the newest things for me to experience was the solid phase extraction technique (SPE). The placement really helped me to decide on my future career.
Pros
analytical experience
Productive and fun
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork28 April 2017
Great place to work and my colleagues at Teasgac were helpful and friendly. The workplace was busy and the work was very interesting as it is a research facility.
Challenging and fulfilling workplace
Principal Research Officer (Current Employee) –  Fermoy, County Cork9 January 2017
I found Teagasc to be a fulfilling place to work. I availed of many opportunities for collaboration with other research institutions and with industry, nationally and internationally. I also availed of opportunities to develop my expertise and keep abreast of new developments. It was exciting to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
Pros
The challenge of scientific discovery, Excellent laboratory facilities.
Cons
Support services not geared to research lab
productive and strict
Scientist and analyst (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 July 2016
I have worked for Teagasc food research as an analyst of food samples that comes from local county councils. as a student in work placement i was given limited roles at the beginning of the placement. but as i developed more knowledge I was permitted to participate more and get involved in all different aspects within the company. except validation and accreditation work.

I took my work placement very serious because it counts towards my final year of my degree.
During my 6 months work-placement I have gained plenty of new analytical techniques and I became more capable of handling difficult laboratory applications.
Pros
long breaks
Good
Student placement (Former Employee) –  Wexford17 May 2016
Good to work for, no problems would work for them again. Learned a good bit about forestry, my co - workers were friendly.
Stage très intéressant
Stage (Former Employee) –  Irlande16 January 2016
cette expérience était très enrichissante pour moi du point de vue scientifique et culturel. j'ai pu améliorer mon anglais pendant trois mois.
Great place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ireland10 August 2015
Working in Teagasc was like exposing me to science in the real world. Job duties include lab work, field work and report writing. Co-workers and supervisors are friendly and always willing to give a listening ear. Overall, it was a great experience.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork13 January 2015
Typical day was using PowerSoft Login software to check if the data monitored on the Dairy farm was recording. It was important to make sure electrical energy usage was recorded every 15 minutes from the farm that the meters were installed on. Reducing Electrical energy usage on the Dairy Farm was the aim. I learned in great detail how to save energy usage on dairy Farms in Ireland. The Hardest part of the job was working from the office all the time and not being able to see what kind of system the farmer had, which made it difficult to try and make savings by just an imagine created in my head. The most enjoyable part of the job was producing the savings which can be made, produced from the Excel model I created.
Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland21 August 2014
With people coming from all over the world, the food research Institute was amazingly a great place to work. Diversity within the culture yet balanced and lots of extra activities made the working environment more lively. Indeed, it was a great pleasure to work at Teagasc.
Pros
Friendly staff and naturally green and cool place
Cons
Working in Lab has no weekends sometime. Had to work alone throughout the weekends yet fun though
A Comfortable and enjoyable work placement
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Killarney, Co.Kerry15 April 2014
IN work placement I found it to very educational and a good experience to grow as a person. It was a great advantage to see how life was in an office environment and to learn key skills that are required in an office. This office was one with extremely friendly staff and I found it very easy to fit in. I started my placement on the 14th of January 2013, the first day we were brought to Newcastle west for induction and training. The training that was involved was computer skills required for the position. There was also a meeting held to discuss the agenda for the year ahead in which the trainees sat in on to get a sense of what the organisation was all about.

I was placed in my own office with access to internet and phone line, I made sure that I was responsible with the use of both these and only used them for business purposes. In my position I was delegated to do out E-profit monitor for farmers as vital source of knowledge for where losses could be cut to improve profits and spotlight areas which could be vastly improved.

I was also involved in the nitrate directive which is a big part in agriculture at the moment. This included checking soil samples of farmers and placing them in the correct indexes. The use of soil mapping system e-REPS was used to map out farms and use of fertiliser plans for the responsible use and to estimate the correct allowance of fertiliser so as not to infringe the nitrate directive which would hinder the single farm payment which is of vital importance to farmers. Any farmer who went over there limit
  more... had to apply for a derogation which I assisted them in getting so as not to incur any financial penalties. I was also involved in inspection with Ger O Sullivan to ensure that the farms had adequate storage systems for animal waste, this involved measuring slurry tanks and any other storage facilities and calculating the amount it could hold.

I took some field trips upon learning about forestry, also working with Andy Whelton on the cut foliage sector working in a nursery test site in which the experimental use of different horticultural plants and shrubs which were viewed as possible candidates for growth in our climate. We went out to plot sites to see which plants and shrubs were showing positive feedback and which ones were giving negative feedback, it showed which plants would be profitable to grow and some which would be profitable, but still had to do research on disease’s and pests control. There were experimental plots of different nutritional value for each different plant this showed the most cost effective and best fertilisers for yield to make out a framework for farmers to work off to give them the best available profits also I helped with recording the results of different plot sites working in a test area of 2 ha.

There was also in service training days allocated in which I attended and learned skills which were important for working on derogations as well as working with cross compliance. Also attending meetings with Andy Whelton on the cut foliage sector on disease and pest control, I also attended sheep beef and dairy discussion groups in which I learned how to conduct myself in groups and in a business like manner, I took notes and observed the interactions of the group.

I was also put in charge of updating a new grass measurement programme on pasture base Ireland to get a inside view of growth rates and which areas seemed to be most effective for growth, also a useful tool for the individual farmers to view which paddocks are providing the most grass, and also for assessing the best rotation plan for their paddocks.
Pros
A comfortable enviroment to work in.
Cons
The work load was tedious at times.
An interesting place to work
Masters Student in Agricultural Innovation (Current Employee) –  Monaghan20 November 2013
A typical day at work would be dealing with Teagasc clients on a wide variety of topics. This work coincides with my Masters Research work.
relaxed workplace
Trainee advisor (Former Employee) –  mellows campus, athenry, co. galway17 April 2013
when i would go in i would start on whatever i was given by the teagasc advisors whether it was fertiliser planners, deregations, REPS and/or AEOS schemes. my job for the day was to complete these forms
Pros
good pay
Cons
very boring sitting at a computer all day