Tesco logo
Tesco

Tesco Employee Reviews

Found 549 reviews matching the searchSee all 17,060 reviews

Staff are very friendly.

Very friendly staff in Tesco. The manager don't really have a clue. The craic is great in the shop with the staff. It's great to meet new faces very day.

Pros

Staff are friendly

Cons

Wages are not great for the work you do.

Store manager is completely dismissive thinks he knows it all .

Ten years later and still stuck in a position which should be given as an opportunity to the next person. Crazy politics in this company its not how good you are at your job its who you know.

Cons

No progression

Where do I even begin...

Company is obsessed with the budget and staying within the budget despite making more money than ever previously before. This results in staff working their lowest contracted hours and usually most staff are scheduled to work weekends when its the busiest. However despite this, there is never enough staff on to accommodate such an influx of customers. They make do with the smallest amount of staff possible whilst complaining that nothing is being done and adding more pressure onto colleagues. Often I found myself trying to be in 3 places at once when that was simply not possible. Very unwilling to hire new staff despite there being a dire need for it. Management claim to be very accommodating to their staff whilst also being very two faced and clearly favouring certain colleagues. Sometimes a huge deal is made off of a day off request form even of given weeks in advance because "the rosters are already done". The hours - I cannot stress this enough: when working here, you will feel like you never leave the place. Whether you are given constant middle shifts or a late followed by an early, after a while you just feel like you live in there. I often found most of my rosters to be near identical from week to week because management were unwilling to train more staff on different areas of the shop, instead just relying on the same people the whole time to do that one job. You basically start to feel like a hamster stuck in a cage and running on that hamster wheel almost everyday. Very little variety in the work expected to be done by colleagues. Also if you showed that you are -

Pros

Work Colleagues

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of Communication between Colleagues, Very Poor Work/Personal Life Balance, Rostered Hours - Awful and Often Repetitive, Toxic Work Environment etc etc etc

They think you have no life outside working for them.

Boring. Management treat people poorly. Short notice change of shift arrangements happens often. And do not dare tell them you have a life outside of work and cannot just drop everything when they phone looking for you to come in.

Pros

Cons

You get treated like they own you

productive

it was ok place to work. i worked during Christmas time so it was extremely busy and draining. the managers are nice. will work again. pay is very good.

Pros

good pay

Cons

Overall good place to work but no full-time contracts

Pros: No stress, enough time to perform all duties, canteen, 10% discount card for shopping in Tesco, new vans, well distributed workload, good quality uniforms, easy-going line manager, bonus for work on Sunday and PHCons:Roster for next week posted less than week in advance (which is against contract), Sunday shifts are not fairly distributed between employees, 4 hours late shifts, no full-time contracts

From management to staff everyone very respectful. One of the nicest places I have worked. Training is quick but always someone there to help. Staff/management always helpful.

Pros

Great staff. Regular hours.

Cons

Shift hours usually 4/5 hours and 8/9 hours.

Really depends on you

Management is poor most of them don’t really care go on their phones all day until the main store manager shows his face, some managers are better then others of course. Days off are cruel you’ll be lucky to get two days off in a row so you’ll have this constant tiredness. Shifts are also all over the place you will be in at 6am one day and the next 4pm. Not loads of overtime but when your there a while you won’t want it, a big thing people like to say in there is “tax man will take it”. A lot of favouritism to the loyal Tesco workers or the managers work mates you kind of feel like your in secondary school part 2. Co workers are usually the best thing most people who end up working in Tesco are genuinely nice a lot of good banter to get you through the day. Pay is good enough you get extra on certain times and days, goes up each year and it’s always in the bank on timeish which is what you want. Over all if your looking for part time work I recommend short 5 hour shifts in and out but full time good luck to seeing your family and friends. Ps that best place to work thing on there badges is a survey you fill out in work in the managers office let that sink in goodnight n godbless

Pros

10 percent discount after 6 months, co workers

Cons

2 many 2 count

Over worked/ underpaid

Working hours are terrible, especially if you have young kids.. 10 hour shifts could work 8 days in a row. Felt like I was never home.. constantly looking for something to critique. Too many supervisors not enough staff. To many cliques for my liking. Management don't care as long as work gets done or unless you ring in sick. But some of the staff I worked with I made friends for life and it's fast paced so the day goes quick and always something to do your never not busy

Pros

Staff discount card when doing big shops

Cons

Long hours, low pay

Not recommend.

Too many managers. And few of them fits to work in a boot camp. God forbid if you finish 10-15 minutes earlier or spent extra few minutes in canteen.

Pros

Fellow workers.

Cons

Management.

Jobs at Tesco

See more jobs

Well paid, hard work

Above average salary. Good career advancement prospects. Fun place to work. Managers can be awful and it can be stressful. If you become a manager your pay is excellent but you will be expected to earn it.Perfect training ground for any career in retail. It's very important to keep a positive attitude or you get dragged into the moaning crowd.

Pros

Good pay, excellent training, can be fun

Cons

Long hours, some managers become tyrants, very profit focussedy

Good place to work. Helpful, friendly colleagues.

The experience of working at Tesco for about three weeks over the Christmas/New Year period was very enjoyable. It was my first opportunity to work in retail and I found the chance to deal with customers, operate the checkout and benefit from my colleague's know how to be invaluable. Each day provided different tests and I hope I was able to carry out my duties in the correct manner, I did not receive any feedback. For the future, I hope I may have another chance to work at Tesco.

Pros

Free snacks, regular breaks

Cons

Frustration while learning operations

Nice place to work, fun colleagues, the young line managers and store managers are the BEST to work with. Great for locals.

Great for family person, great colleagues to work with, get free breakfast, 10% discount on purchases in any TESCO store in Ireland, opportunity to buy share in the company if you are interested, in difficult times they work with you, it's not one of those companies that add more stress to already bad situation....they listen and support practically. For starters is good, for locals recommended, for long haul it's ok as well.

Pros

Free breakfast cereal, toast and coffee, 10% discount

Cons

Pay not the best in the sector and considering cost of living. .they can do a lot better.

Student job/ no progression

After spending over a decade, I could clearly say that is the worst decision ever made. In the beginning it was all bells and whistles but once you get into it deeper, you see how blood sucking Tesco machinery is. The only people who would get promoted are those that lick a hole without showing any real potential. Also, they are the sneakiest people in the shop, one bad word about the shop and it ends up in store manager ears.Guys you work with could be good and decent and could come to some sort of agreement.Management is terrible, looking only for what is good for them. Have no idea of how to work with good people. Instead promoting ones with no interest IQ less than a size a of a pea. Tesco needs sheeps so if you are one of them, feel free to join.

Pros

Cant get fired, no matter what you do, pays the bills, student job

Cons

Bad pay, working like a horse for others, bad management, no flexibility from them, not "family" oriented business, No progression

enjoyable and productive.

I temporarily worked as a Tesco customer delivery driver due to be currently out of work in the entertainment sector due to covid restrictions. the customer delivery driver contract is offered as a part-time 30-hour contract with a competitive salary. You work 3, 11-hour shifts per week over days that vary and can drive from anything up to 230 kilometres per day delivering to on average 16 - 25 houses per day and from my experience, however, this can vary per store. . As part of the job you are trusted with an impressive fleet of vans that are very safe to drive, you will, however, drive treacherous country backroads to get to customers houses which can be quite dangerous and stressful. To navigate these you would have to be quite an experienced driver or be familiar with driving these roads as I can imagine people from cities would be very uncomfortable driving them. the contract of 30 hours is unusual as I think it is both unsuitable for people looking to work part-time while in college as it's a lot of hours or for someone looking to work full time it's not really enough hours. I would encourage Tesco to review this as I feel it would turn a lot of people off from applying for the role. All in all, Tesco is a great company to work for and the management are spot on as long as you do your job correctly :) Another little bonus is that you can meet some very nice and interesting people when delivering to customers houses.

Pros

freedom scenic

Cons

not enough hours dangerous roads long days

Community driven

Worked at tesco for 16years, I loved first 13years,great team & management,then things started to get ugly with the management wanting changes to change contracts which led to animosity within our community of workers.It was great place,where you met your regular customers and I felt pride in my workplace.

Pros

Every day different

Cons

Management Never satisfied so can be stressful

Kip

Don't bother they expect way to much and then working 2-10 is not a healthy lifestyle.. management are absolutely clueless

Pros

Zero

Cons

Management are Clueless

Stressful at times but can have fun with coworkers

I was not till trained just thrown on but i got the hang of it easily, atmosphere between coworkers is generally good although i have had a frew scheduling errors due to management

Pros

good breaks, great pay, generally nice atmosphere between coworkers

Cons

Not overly understanding of my scedule, constatnly ask me to work overtime, as well as getting calls asking why im not in when im not sceduled to be

Money is only motive

Good wages, not good management, most managers are uneducated. No consideration to family life. I would never recommend unless u r dying for money. Get off this place when u feel u ok money wise n find another job.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Rubbish management, most r uneducated n no brains

As long as your colleagues are in its great.

The management from store to store differs.I was part of a city centre express store and i had so much fun with my colleagues whilst doing my dutys, which mainly for me consisted of till work, handling lifts and doing the stock expiration checks and removals.Some of the customers i built a friendship with as i enjoyed their company. However the progression up the ladder per se isnt based on your longevity or the effort you put in, more on whether youve a relationship with the store manager and if you sacrifice your social life to be there 7 days a week.Other than that id recommend tesco as its a challenging yet rewarding job.

Pros

Double discount, Staff, Wages

Cons

Long hours, no career, only 3 different shifts.

Great friends and nice customers

I'm wotrking 10 minutes from home it's so handy. If you work hard they look after you and the management are mostly very nice. I enjoy working there. We get different benefits during the year and the union help that.

Pros

Free tea coffee cereals and milk

Cons

Late openings and working weekends
  • Tesco