The Grand Hotel Malahide

The Grand Hotel Malahide Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere, rather stressful though
The majority of staff are young, so there's always a relaxed atmosphere in the workplace, although during busy shifts it can become hectic with a lack in communication between supervisors an waiters sometimes, resulting in a stressful situation. Besides this the restaurant is run quite well and is, overall, a decent place to work.
Pros
Various Saving Schemes, Recommend a Friend Schemes, Free Meals
Cons
Can have a lack of communication, Often quite long hours, Kitchen Layout needs improvement
Very poor place to work
No respect for their new staff. Too many managers. And Management dont do anything at all. No work life balance. Customers treat staff like dirt. Terrible overall experience.
Not a good place to work
Very difficult place to work as the expectations are very high without any appreciation. The working atmosphere. No one would care if you finish work at 3am and you're roster at 7am or if you have to work 14h shift.
Some Stress some fun
usually the morning shift are busiest time with hundreds of people showing up, that's always a stressful time, some times staff is bot enough to cover the whole room. From working in the grand for a whole I learned to compromise of if tea spoon is not enough for the whole set up just skip and come back to add in when there is more available. also enjoy every bit of the hours, there always something up. furthermore with the things I have learn I developed a managing timing of services. The culture of workplace is a positive workplace to be in, the managers always fun to interact with and coworkers are next level of understanding.
Pros
Free lunches, cool managers, fun coworkers, locker, sizable hours
Cons
short breaks, not much lunch spreading
A Very Difficult Place to Work
I found this job extremely testing. The use of team work was nearly non existent, people didnt want to work together as tips werent pooled. The management was extremely poor and very little support was given when times were tough. Wouldn't reccommend working here.
Long hours, no gratitude and poor management
I was regularly asked to stay an extra 2-3 hours at the end of my 12 hour shift. Breaks were not enforced and management couldn't manage to do anything well or efficiently. No options to advance up to a different position and staff were turned around at a rate of 5-6 per month.
Pros
Food was provided
Cons
Long, unpredictable hours
Busy exciting environment
Preparing work stations for meal services, serving guests ensuring everyone is satisfied, communicating with colleagues, completing tasks to the best of your ability and always offering your help where and when it is needed.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long hours on feet
Great company and benefits
I worked here for over 4 years in different departments and have to say, I really enjoyed working here. Very fast paced environment, really busy hotel but great if you want to learn and grow. No two days were ever the same and I got to meet and build great relationships with both guests and other stafff. Because its a family run hotel, you feel like you are part of the family and not just a numberr.
Pros
Meals on Duty/Exposure to development
Cons
None come to mind
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Grand Hotel Malahide?
Productive place to work
The grand hotel is a good hotel to learn hospitality skills, customer service and waitering skills it has a good fast pace so fast learners or people who enjoy a new challenge will enjoy
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
some good days, some bad days
easy to get hours, not awarded for going above and beyond

work can be easy but equally as hard. staffing is a big issue, theres never too many staff.
Pros
free lunch
Rewarding and fun
Beautiful hotel, family owned by very polite and professional people.
Very organized, everyone knew what to do.My position was to assist all the F&B departments in every needed situation.

Very "hads on" which i love.
Pros
Peace and tranquility
Cons
Long hours and split shifts
Productive and harmonious work place
We basically had to prepare the breakfast buffet and serve the costumers. I learned even more about costumer services and that helped me a lot. All the team worked together so hours ran quickly.
The hardest part about my job was at the beginning when i had to prepare everything in a rush, before the breakfast starts, as i had only half a hour to do it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the people thankful and happy for the breakfast they had as they used to say that it was the most important part of the day.
Pros
Teamwork
Productive and fun workplace
Every day my first dity is, to clean the whole kitchen, support the chefs.
I learn haccp and the manual handling, and learn how to wokrd a kitchen.

The managment is helpfull and freindly, my colleagues is good.
Poorly maintaned hotel
All day is busy at the Hotel, especially because only 2 kitchen porters work on the same shift even when there are 400 or more guest to serve them on time.
The kitchen and the equipments are damaged and old and they do not have the required machines or tools for many part of the kitchen porter's job.

It was great to work with my porter collegues because we thought we suppose to work together, and bring the best attitude at all time, but emptying and lifting manually the full bins when it is needed is always a challenge for all who work there.

The managment is great, they are very flexible and friendly, so I really enjoyed to create reports and arrange personal and impersonal topics about the job too.
Pros
Free staff food once a day, free uniform
Cons
Less employee on the same shift than it is required, old and damaged tools and equipments, manual bin emptying