ULSTER BANK

ULSTER BANK Employee Reviews in Dublin

Dublin21 reviews
Productive and Fun workplace
I have worked in Ulster Bank for just under a year and in my opinion I believe it has a Great work life balance opportunities, good management and competitive salary.
Small though busy environment
Even though Ulster Bank is relatively small compared to large UK banks it is a very busy, fast paced environment to work in. Dublin offices are in several locations including Leopardstown.
I have worked with the bank for the past 16yrs year. I have gained an incredible knowledge of banking and the finance world, mostly of payments. They have given me many opportunities to develop my career over the years in various teams and departments & providing educational development to their employees. I have worked with many great like minded passionate people
with a drive to deliver great services to our customers and be the No 1 Bank In

Ireland.
Badly organised
Work environment is pretty much run by contractors. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, too many people can sometimes hamper productivity and there are definitely too many outside staff employed on projects with very little outside guidance.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Badly organised
Professional Friendly environment
If I was put on a different cash counter on any day, the first thing I would have to do was balance the cash to be sure it was correct.

After this, I would check the internal post for any fast lodgement envelopes that may have been posted in the evenings. If they were there I would key them to the relevant account according to the details on the envelopes.

I was in charge of coin orders, so other shops in the centre would put their coin orders in for their own tills. I would then bag them up in the form they wanted them.

I was also the foreign cashier, so I would print off the daily exchange rates from The Central Bank Of Ireland & update our board.

The branch then opened at 9.30 and I was ready for full service for the day from there.

I was taught a lot at Ulster Bank. The staff and management were extremely helpful. It was a lovely place to work. The branch was based in a shopping centre, and we had a lot of regular customers, from the centre for business along with personal. And also from the general public. Dealing with them face to face every day was really nice and I built a great rapport with them all.

Certain days and times were busier and harder than others but you just had to keep your head down and serve them one by one and deal with their queries individually.

The most enjoyable part of my job, I feel was how genuinely friendly my customers were. Some people would wait in line for me to serve them (this was hard sometimes if it was my lunch time) but I took pride in thinking that they felt that level of confidence in me that they only wanted
 - more...
Pros
Every Wed the branch opened at 10am due to a morning meeting, here we were treated to breakfast.
Cons
Working Saturdays 9 -1 staff got a day in lieu but as I was agency staff I got a half day in lieu, I had no job security because I was agency staff, I wasn't entitled to any benefits because I was agency staff
Flexible but tedious
A healthy work life balance on offer in most departments.

Some aras expecting staff to work excessive hours but never the case with me.

Overall a good place to work with plenty of opportunities.

Too slow to make decisions and the governance is extremely tedious.
Administrator
This role involved updating Property Valuations and looking into Buy to Let and Owner Occupied Mortgages. It was an updating of information on mortgages .
Pros
Dublin City Center
Cons
Short Term Contracts
I found Ulster Bank to be a good place to work. Good work life balance and opportunities for further education/training and also opportunities for advancement.
Too much work
I worked on a few job roles at the same time, you really had to be multi tasked as the usual day would be manic. On the top of that, I was PA to management, where I had to look after a number of managers at the same time.
Pros
perm job
Cons
too much job
Ulster Bank is a great place to work and have a great work ethics and encourage work life balance. they encourage your advancement by ensuring that the necessary training it given to encourage you with your career advancement
Bad in Good places
Enjoyable routine, plenty of onsite additions & plenty of pleasant people to work with in Dublin Mortgage Centre. Work-life enjoyable not too pressurized but good attitude works well. Work during economic downturn. Best of both worlds before and after this time . HR very accommodating.
Pros
Hr, Social aspects & facilities
Absolutely Hated it
I was there for a year in the mid noughties and I absolutely despised the job.
Monotonous and Boring.

A work colleague was wrongly blamed for mislaying cheques and was nearly fired, only then It was discovered that someone else was to blame.

Antiquated systems.
Worked for a short time only
This is a fair work environment and I think it is a good organisation to work in.

I can't give a view on pay and conditions due to the short period I was working with them.
Pros
Large Company
Cons
Nothing noted
Ulster Bank Dublin Mortgage Centre
My project team implemented a revised model for the policy/control of Equitable Deposits from local branches and aligned the branches behind national SOPs/ KPIs. This entailed national coordination across branches, ensuring the re-education of all staff and alignment with company policy, governance, etc.

I liaised with the Land Registry & managed Ulster Bank cross functional teams in relation to the dematerialisation of land certificates. This was a complicated situation, given it was a new way of working and involved industry change to work through to resolution. The model was set by the Central Bank and we were the first bank in Ireland to make it work.

I streamlined the transition of land certs into land registry folio, which resulted in a change as to how the land registry works to this day.
The place I currently work
Every day is different. It can be a tough day or an extremely tough day. The people in Ulster Bank are lovely to work with and the company itself do there best to make sure we work well together. I have worked on my systems ( 10 plus ) in Ulster Bank. The hardest part of my job is my current position ( arrears contact team ). It can be very hard dealing with customers in arrears but I manage well and try help all customers I deal with. The most enjoyable part are the people with whom I love working with. In my next job I will miss all the people I work with but unfortunately I have to look after my career.
Pros
Canteen / Car parking / Gym
Cons
Customers screaming down the phone (never a nice experience)
work place and targets
A typical day would be you come in at nine. Have a huddle about targets and goals for the day. Then you would set up your cash and start serving customers. then at lunch time and the end of the day you would balance your cash again
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
A good company to work and learn
The company provided a friendly working condition to work. The opportunity to work across department was exciting. The management were readily available to help and support workers achieve given set objectives.
Enjoyed being a part of the team
If I wasn't moving to UK, then wouldn't leave this job.
Great environment to work and the colleagues are helpful and friendly.
In overall good place to work for.
I have gained great experience as a Customer Service Officer while working in Ulster Bank, Dublin.
Pros
Great working hours : 9 -5
Cons
Shortage of staff to carry daily duties
good learning experience
first thing I did was some filing, then I would answer phone calls and take messages and sent them through outlook. one manager asked me to set a spreadsheet report of certain clients of his and he was impressed with it.
I found the staff to be very obliging in my daily work.

I don't feel this is necessary at this point.
Pros
Team Effort
Cons
Temporary position