ULSTER BANK

ULSTER BANK Management reviews

Ireland32 reviews
Productive and Fun workplace
I have worked in Ulster Bank for just under a year and in my opinion I believe it has a Great work life balance opportunities, good management and competitive salary.
Difficult environment
Difficult industry. Constant reduction of resources and increase of pressure on staff.
large loss of knowledge through poor staff supports and no incentive to stay with the company.
Nice place to wrk
There is never a typical day within the PMO team. Every day is different and often full on which is why we need to be prepared to deal with anything that is required of us. As a team we help the project teams understand systems, create and update pages in SharePoint to ensure the project teams have clear and concise information at their fingertips and all in one central location. MI reporting to senior management and stakeholders is updated on a regular basis to ensure it is available as and when requested. There really is never a dull moment in the PMO.
Pros
Nice Working Hours
Cons
Bad leadership
Professional Friendly environment
If I was put on a different cash counter on any day, the first thing I would have to do was balance the cash to be sure it was correct.

After this, I would check the internal post for any fast lodgement envelopes that may have been posted in the evenings. If they were there I would key them to the relevant account according to the details on the envelopes.

I was in charge of coin orders, so other shops in the centre would put their coin orders in for their own tills. I would then bag them up in the form they wanted them.

I was also the foreign cashier, so I would print off the daily exchange rates from The Central Bank Of Ireland & update our board.

The branch then opened at 9.30 and I was ready for full service for the day from there.

I was taught a lot at Ulster Bank.
The staff and management were extremely helpful. It was a lovely place to work. The branch was based in a shopping centre, and we had a lot of regular customers, from the centre for business along with personal. And also from the general public. Dealing with them face to face every day was really nice and I built a great rapport with them all.

Certain days and times were busier and harder than others but you just had to keep your head down and serve them one by one and deal with their queries individually.

The most enjoyable part of my job, I feel was how genuinely friendly my customers were. Some people would wait in line for me to serve them (this was hard sometimes if it was my lunch time) but I took pride in thinking that they felt that level of confidence in me that they only wanted
 - more...
Pros
Every Wed the branch opened at 10am due to a morning meeting, here we were treated to breakfast.
Cons
Working Saturdays 9 -1 staff got a day in lieu but as I was agency staff I got a half day in lieu, I had no job security because I was agency staff, I wasn't entitled to any benefits because I was agency staff
Too much work
I worked on a few job roles at the same time, you really had to be multi tasked as the usual day would be manic. On the top of that, I was PA to management, where I had to look after a number of managers at the same time.
Pros
perm job
Cons
too much job
Absolutely Hated it
I was there for a year in the mid noughties and I absolutely despised the job.
Monotonous and Boring.

A work colleague was wrongly blamed for mislaying cheques and was nearly fired, only then It was discovered that someone else was to blame.
Antiquated systems.
20 years behind the times
Dismal training - staff reluctant to train new employees
Inconsistent information provided on SOP.

Information sharing non existant.

No communication between employees/departments.

Constructive criticism evolves telling everyone else the issue before informing the person directly.

Awaited one full month twiddling my thumbs for system access.

Computer systems in the dark ages - needs major updating.

Job you apply for and the actual job you end up doing are world's apart.

Ethics is not a major concern with this bank.

Staff integrity seriously lacking at times.

Teams are not manager lead.

Management do not have the experience to deal with issues out side the norm.
Productivity is not a major focus. It only becomes a focus if you seem to be doing more than the minimum required.

Banks attitude, procedures, business strategy caught in a time warp with no clear focus on the future.
Pros
Cons
Dismal training
A good company to work and learn
The company provided a friendly working condition to work. The opportunity to work across department was exciting. The management were readily available to help and support workers achieve given set objectives.
good atmosphere
review customer accounts

Deal with customer appointments

Deal with internal mail

Credit control

Staff management

Customer promotions

Staff training
Pros
security and training
Cons
decisions affecting people