Woodie's DIY

Woodie's DIY Employee Reviews

Ireland63 reviews
Featured review
Woodie's DIY selected this as a representative review
Never a dull moment
Great experience gained, new skills

Productive work place

Room for improvement/promotion

Management in constant communication with staff

Organization skills and work place safety is very high
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours multiple days in a row
I started as an assistant Manager and progressed to Deputy Manager within a short space of time. I found the staff and management to be very helpful and knowledgeable about the products we were selling.
Pros
Working with a team of enthusiastic people
Cons
Worse place to work ever, work you to the bone for peanuts. Management (with the exception of 2 team leaders) dont care about there staff, literally no work/life balance. Expect you to be experts at everything with no training. Favourites got advancments. One guy with mental health issues was told take a pill and get over it. Heard recently that the manager in question was moved to another store (god help them).
Pros
1 team leaders whos name starts with D
Cons
Pay, upper management, poor job advancement, poor moral, not enough space to type them all
Management don't communicate, assign so many tasks a day and expect them all to be done whilst asking you to do even more things on top of that, calling you on your booked days off, treating you like you're stupid, no training given, no respect for staff
Pros
Extra pay on Sundays and bank holidays
Cons
Poor management, no teamwork, no training
Work is manageable, colleagues lovely and customers nice. Will be well trained and if doing something unsafe or giving the wrong info, most colleagues will help and correct in encouraging manner. Good work/life balance. Bias at times to certain staff and work can go underappreciated. Poor attitude from long-time staff to certain staff seems to be brushed off at times. Mostly positive time there.
Pros
Colleagues are eager and willing to help, Management know their craft and willing to help, Positive environment more often than not, Sections well laid out which make it easier for new staff to find what they need
Cons
Not paid enough for skills and knowledge required to do job well, Bias towards certain staff can lead to frustration amongst colleagues, Old-fashioned mindset amongst long-term staff can make certain colleagues feel very out of place
Good place to work, fair with staff, the only thing is if you want to progress to team leader you have to move to a different store, you should be able to move up the ladder in your own store
I had a good Experience working for woodies, got on well with staff and generally had an easy going yet fast paced work environment, the staff were great and we always had a laugh with each other while getting on with our jobs, i had to leave for college as it was a very full on course. i still miss working there time to time
No 2 days the same with seasonal changes in stock and presentation, the company invests heavily in its people with training from everything from pallet trucks to management courses.
Excellent management structure, No.1 in the country for Great Place to Work.

Hardest part of the job is the possibility of being moved to another location

The most enjoyable part? The people!
Woodies provided excellent training in order for me to carry out my job effectively and professional. This training will help me for the rest of my career. They are a good company to work for.
The friendships and co-operation between colleagues is great. Fantastic support from those around you. Management is hit or miss. Some will go out of their way for you, and that gives you the motivation to return the favour. Some openly call colleagues disposable numbers to fill the floor. And those ones will treat you as such.
I worked at woodies for 14 years, a lot of colleagues tend to stay with the company long term.. there is not a lot of opportunity to advance your a career within finance department
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Career development
Fun place to work in. You can get along well with everyone. You get to learn all retail skills that is needed and all staff are friendly. The workplace is fun but still maintains a good level of proffesionalism.
Had a great time working here, however there is questionable management present in the store. There is a helpful work culture among staff. Decent training provided once a year. Not visible career progression paths.
Worked there for quite a while gave it my all everyday only to get injured and be made an outcast and stripped of all bonuses because of an investigation. Other than that it’s quite a challenging job due to the amount of knowledge you are meant to have in comparison to the next to no product training you receive, most of the staff are great but majority of management are rude and incompetent. Pay is just more than the minimum.
Woodies has won the “Great Place to Work” award 2years ago and it is well deserved. There is colleague committee for voicing your opinions. There is a generous colleague discount and Christmas bonus. We have an online messaging system to highlight great customer service/ teamwork etc. Each year we have an awards ceremony for the best colleagues in their respective roles. I find that the culture in Woodies is really good. You are given a certain amount of autonomy in your work8ng day. There is great emphasis on training and learning. Woodies participates in the “Seeds for Success” and also has many training modules on their own academy.
Worked for the worst person in the company. Upon trying to get rid of her, they dragged us into the scenario, made us to be the worst employees.
I left on my own.
lovely place to work. the staff made it a great place.
unfortunately i had to leave as i lived to far away and couldn't afford the travel.

and luckily i found a job closer to home.
The staff made my time a lot better here. They were always so friendly and great fun. Quite a large store so there was no problem finding work to be done.
Pros
Never quiet
Cons
Could not provide requested availability
We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I

A full commitment's what I'm thinking of

You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling

Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
Managers would never communicate it was a complete disaster only a good job for somebody part time going to school or college. Would not recommend for anybody with a family and kids because it simply doesn't pay the bills.
I have learned a lot but training as a Dc could be slightly better but otherwise not a bad place to work...............................................................