Woodie's DIY

Woodie's DIY Employee Reviews in Dublin

Featured review
Woodie's DIY selected this as a representative review
Never a dull moment Great experience gained, new skills Productive work place Room for improvement/promotion Management in constant communication with staff Organization skills and work place safety is very high
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours multiple days in a row
Good place to work, fair with staff, the only thing is if you want to progress to team leader you have to move to a different store, you should be able to move up the ladder in your own store
Woodies provided excellent training in order for me to carry out my job effectively and professional. This training will help me for the rest of my career. They are a good company to work for.
Had a great time working here, however there is questionable management present in the store. There is a helpful work culture among staff. Decent training provided once a year. Not visible career progression paths.
Worked for the worst person in the company. Upon trying to get rid of her, they dragged us into the scenario, made us to be the worst employees. I left on my own.
The staff made my time a lot better here. They were always so friendly and great fun. Quite a large store so there was no problem finding work to be done.
Pros
Never quiet
Cons
Could not provide requested availability
Woodies pay minimum wage without any possibility of this ever rising more than a couple of cents for the vast majority of employees. What this ultimately means is that they struggle to find adequately qualified staff who are capable of selling the products that they stock. Also as they do not provide full time contracts, for the most part all they can manage to employ is teenagers looking for a weekend job to get them through school or college. For someone looking for this kind of employment, its not a bad place to work. Furthermore, despite the low rate of pay, they are constantly understaffed & expect the staff they do have to undertake multiple, unachievable tasks. Overall, the company is a dis organised mess with an out of touch leadership & management team with notions of grandeur.
Pros
Sociable hours. Double time on weekends
Cons
Pay, management
I was there 3 years I like working there but I got a new job. I took in deliveries and make sure if the order is write and if there is any items short I write t down and imform the manager
Woodies has a great reputation for being a great place to work. It has a great work/life balance but I find that it could pay it's colleagues more as this would help keep turnover down and you could keep on top performers to create an even better business.
To much pressure put on people and never enough staff hired in any shop. Always huge turn over of staff in shops as people dont feel valued at any level
A start up operation which gave staff an opportunity to show their creativity and initiative. Young vibrant workforce. Good opportunities for promotion and advancement.
Muito feliz por ter a oportunidade de fazer parte da equipe de funcionarios dessa empresa. Empresa Irlandesa que me proporcionou um grande desenvolvimento profissional e pessoal.
Worked in Woodies DIY for 8 years through undergraduate and post-grad years. Really would not have bothered reviewing but I found the available reviews quite suspect and possibly scripted. Just under 8 years working with no blemish on record and having keen personal interest in DIY. Worked on the floor,desk tills etc. Started work in 2007 on 9.06 EUR/hr left in 2016 on 9.25EUR/hr. You will be systematically referred to as colleagues that are 'experts' in the field. You are required to act as an expert and advise customers on products from an 'experts'' point of view some of which are quite expensive with cursory or in the most part zero training. Hoodwinking customers is the general order of the day because trust me working for 9EUR an hour with no bonus and no reasonable chance of a raise does not attract the employ of ''experts'' but it does attract needy students like myself at the time. With nearly 8 years experience working in this company I can hand-on heart not recommend this place as a long term place of employment nor as a place for quality honest service with great value.IF advice and piece of mind is required be sure to at least consult the internet or a reputable DIY store that can offer honest practical advice prior to purchasing. I will stand by any of these comments and will reply if needed to any perspective customer or job seeker looking at Woodies DIY as a possible employer.Main tip ....work there for as long as it suits you...don't kill yourself because of encouraging head office emails...because that is what they are emails, some lies and general flirtation - more...
Pros
staff discount, some great people
Cons
Head office apathy towards workers. treatment of staff. Decieving customers
Team management (40 staff) Team daily brief Cash handling Customer complaints and queries Staff and management training Creation of new ideas to maximize sales
A great place to work on a part time or full time basis. I worked there part time during which time I was attending college. It was fantastic earning experience on a retail level as it is a great way to improve upon communication and social skills. Observing the fluidity and efficiency of the staff during busy days was very impressive, and it was a rewarding feeling to be part of it.
Pros
Impressive workforce, fun environment
Cons
Lacked promotion opportunity
Very diverse role - store operations, HR, legal, project management, which made each day very enjoyable. The new leadership team are making substantial changes which will bring the organisation to the next level. Exciting times for everybody involved!
A typical day working in Woodies DIY would consist of helping customers with any queries they may have, unpacking and organizing stock, taking sales on tills, general upkeep of the store etc. I learned a lot from working in Woodies DIY, mostly things related to DIY such as the different kinds of paint, different kinds of light bulbs, putting flat-packed furniture together etc. I got along with everybody including management, my co-workers, the customers. I feel I gained a lot of experience in dealing with customers and any concerns or problems they may have. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with the angry customers that I inevitably came across on a daily basis. However, once I kept a smile on my face, was polite and courteous, and did everything I could to remedy whatever the problem was the issue would be soon resolved. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills relating to DIY which I can put into practice in my own home and give other people advice on.
Pros
Occasionally customers would give you small tips for helping them to their car with their shopping.
Cons
Occasional long hours and strenuous work.
Overall decent place to work. Co-workers easy to get along with, decent hours. Poor wages and management is dreadful-would treat younger staff like school children, very disrespectful.
Pros
decent hours, friendly atmosphere between co-workers, good location
Cons
management, poor wages
the staff in Woodies DIY made it fun to work there.it was difficult sometimes to improve yourself in the workplace as they wouldn't give you much opportunities to develop. some of the employees higher in the company wouldn't appreciate anything that the other employees would do example work extra days, extra hour or come in early do get objectives completed. I enjoyed doing my job and meeting new people but I didn't like being in an office by myself. i liked solving problems ad getting objectives done. i was quite confident in my job and new i was doing it correctly. most of the co-workers in the company where a joy to work with
Pros
off early on a fridday
Cons
poor management and poor conditions