Woodie's DIY

Woodie's DIY Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Featured review
Woodie's DIY selected this as a representative review
Never a dull moment Great experience gained, new skills Productive work place Room for improvement/promotion Management in constant communication with staff Organization skills and work place safety is very high
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours multiple days in a row
Management don't communicate, assign so many tasks a day and expect them all to be done whilst asking you to do even more things on top of that, calling you on your booked days off, treating you like you're stupid, no training given, no respect for staff
Pros
Extra pay on Sundays and bank holidays
Cons
Poor management, no teamwork, no training
Good place to work, fair with staff, the only thing is if you want to progress to team leader you have to move to a different store, you should be able to move up the ladder in your own store
I had a good Experience working for woodies, got on well with staff and generally had an easy going yet fast paced work environment, the staff were great and we always had a laugh with each other while getting on with our jobs, i had to leave for college as it was a very full on course. i still miss working there time to time
Had a great time working here, however there is questionable management present in the store. There is a helpful work culture among staff. Decent training provided once a year. Not visible career progression paths.
Worked there for quite a while gave it my all everyday only to get injured and be made an outcast and stripped of all bonuses because of an investigation. Other than that it’s quite a challenging job due to the amount of knowledge you are meant to have in comparison to the next to no product training you receive, most of the staff are great but majority of management are rude and incompetent. Pay is just more than the minimum.
Woodies has won the “Great Place to Work” award 2years ago and it is well deserved. There is colleague committee for voicing your opinions. There is a generous colleague discount and Christmas bonus. We have an online messaging system to highlight great customer service/ teamwork etc. Each year we have an awards ceremony for the best colleagues in their respective roles. I find that the culture in Woodies is really good. You are given a certain amount of autonomy in your work8ng day. There is great emphasis on training and learning. Woodies participates in the “Seeds for Success” and also has many training modules on their own academy.
lovely place to work. the staff made it a great place. unfortunately i had to leave as i lived to far away and couldn't afford the travel. and luckily i found a job closer to home.
Most days can be fun, the people that work here are a really great bunch. Management can be difficult, at times you can have 4 people telling you different things to do. The hardest part of the job is the hours and not knowing your roster for the coming weeks. The people, floor staff, make this an overall enjoyable place to work but it really depends on your aspirations as to whether or not this is the place for you.
Pros
co workers, discount, first pick when things are reduced to clear.
Cons
unsociable hours, hourly wage is very low
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Woodie's DIY?
Woodies pay minimum wage without any possibility of this ever rising more than a couple of cents for the vast majority of employees. What this ultimately means is that they struggle to find adequately qualified staff who are capable of selling the products that they stock. Also as they do not provide full time contracts, for the most part all they can manage to employ is teenagers looking for a weekend job to get them through school or college. For someone looking for this kind of employment, its not a bad place to work. Furthermore, despite the low rate of pay, they are constantly understaffed & expect the staff they do have to undertake multiple, unachievable tasks. Overall, the company is a dis organised mess with an out of touch leadership & management team with notions of grandeur.
Pros
Sociable hours. Double time on weekends
Cons
Pay, management
Typical day in for me in Woodies. I will either be on tills or the floor. If on the floor I will assist customers or any part of the shop that I may be needed in.
A typical day at Woodies begins with a team briefing in the morning where the manager sets out the targets for the day ahead, states what must be completed throughout the day and assigns employees tasks. After this point I walk over to my section (the party zone) to check for balloon orders and respond accordingly. I then proceed to count my till and enter the float.I serve and assist customers throughout the day and at quiet times I will tidy on the shop floor within view of the checkouts so I can tend to customers when needed. I am sometimes asked to display new stock or complete price audits. I have learned a lot over my nine months of working in this position. I have learned that it is important to enjoy what you do, that it is important to have knowledge of the stock your company is selling, it is important to be helpful, friendly and to engage with customers wherever possible. Management in this particular store consists of a manager, assistant manager, trainee manager and supervisor as well as senior staff who are in a superior position. The management are accommodating, helpful and laid back. They demand high standards of work and respect and when these are adhered to it is mutually beneficial. My co-workers in Woodies were my favourite aspect of this job. The vast majority of the staff were under thirty which led to a great rapport and sense of community. My co-workers would assist me in any way possible and were a great help when beginning the job.  - more...
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Minimum Wage
I started working at Woodies DIY as a part time sales assistant. Work was great. I started from till operations, to assistance in garden center with plants, balloon bar and home-style department where I did most. Eventually I was setting up displays and ordering stock , and also I was lucky one to go on a shop refits with interior design managers also to other stores in the country. Co workers were lovely and there was always good atmosphere at work, managers were always helpful and guiding just as well as supportive. In fairness there was never the area or task to describe as hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable then again was and also fun a stock taking.. well yes a tricky one but I liked it. Working there I was very happy, and I learned there is never too small or too big job uneasy to handle...you can do everything,,just when you want it. I started my employment there with smile, and every time I visit...that smile is still there.
Pros
Christmas hamper
Cons
dust
Overall decent place to work. Co-workers easy to get along with, decent hours. Poor wages and management is dreadful-would treat younger staff like school children, very disrespectful.
Pros
decent hours, friendly atmosphere between co-workers, good location
Cons
management, poor wages
have learned a lot everyone is nice to work for including management.
Pros
good working enviremont
I have 5 years’ experience in sales and retail from my current position in Woodies DIY. I have spent the majority of my time working on customer service in Woodies DIY. I am very customer orientated; self-motivated and have the drive to succeed in all aspects of my professional life. I have an excellent working relationship with both my management and staff in my current position.
Pros
enjoyable workplace
Cons
working weekends and late nights