Woodies

Woodies Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant9 reviews
Ireland9 reviews
Featured review
Woodies selected this as a representative review
Excellent and productive
Never a dull moment
Great experience gained, new skills

Productive work place

Room for improvement/promotion

Management in constant communication with staff

Organization skills and work place safety is very high
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours multiple days in a row
Treat staff with respect
Good place to work, fair with staff, the only thing is if you want to progress to team leader you have to move to a different store, you should be able to move up the ladder in your own store
Productive and fun place to work
Had a great time working here, however there is questionable management present in the store. There is a helpful work culture among staff. Decent training provided once a year. Not visible career progression paths.
No loyalty
Worked there for quite a while gave it my all everyday only to get injured and be made an outcast and stripped of all bonuses because of an investigation. Other than that it’s quite a challenging job due to the amount of knowledge you are meant to have in comparison to the next to no product training you receive, most of the staff are great but majority of management are rude and incompetent. Pay is just more than the minimum.
Woodies has won the “Great Place to Work” award 2years ago and it is well deserved. There is colleague committee for voicing your opinions. There is a generous colleague discount and Christmas bonus. We have an online messaging system to highlight great customer service/ teamwork etc. Each year we have an awards ceremony for the best colleagues in their respective roles. I find that the culture in Woodies is really good. You are given a certain amount of autonomy in your work8ng day. There is great emphasis on training and learning. Woodies participates in the “Seeds for Success” and also has many training modules on their own academy.
lovely place and people to work for
lovely place to work. the staff made it a great place.
unfortunately i had to leave as i lived to far away and couldn't afford the travel.

and luckily i found a job closer to home.
Fun at times
Most days can be fun, the people that work here are a really great bunch. Management can be difficult, at times you can have 4 people telling you different things to do. The hardest part of the job is the hours and not knowing your roster for the coming weeks. The people, floor staff, make this an overall enjoyable place to work but it really depends on your aspirations as to whether or not this is the place for you.
Pros
co workers, discount, first pick when things are reduced to clear.
Cons
unsociable hours, hourly wage is very low
Poor pay & a badly ran company
Woodies pay minimum wage without any possibility of this ever rising more than a couple of cents for the vast majority of employees. What this ultimately means is that they struggle to find adequately qualified staff who are capable of selling the products that they stock. Also as they do not provide full time contracts, for the most part all they can manage to employ is teenagers looking for a weekend job to get them through school or college. For someone looking for this kind of employment, its not a bad place to work. Furthermore, despite the low rate of pay, they are constantly understaffed & expect the staff they do have to undertake multiple, unachievable tasks.

Overall, the company is a dis organised mess with an out of touch leadership & management team with notions of grandeur.
Pros
Sociable hours. Double time on weekends
Cons
Pay, management
Relaxed workplace with nice people
Typical day in for me in Woodies. I will either be on tills or the floor. If on the floor I will assist customers or any part of the shop that I may be needed in.
Fast paced and friendly work place.
A typical day at Woodies begins with a team briefing in the morning where the manager sets out the targets for the day ahead, states what must be completed throughout the day and assigns employees tasks. After this point I walk over to my section (the party zone) to check for balloon orders and respond accordingly. I then proceed to count my till and enter the float.I serve and assist customers throughout the day and at quiet times I will tidy on the shop floor within view of the checkouts so I can tend to customers when needed. I am sometimes asked to display new stock or complete price audits.
I have learned a lot over my nine months of working in this position. I have learned that it is important to enjoy what you do, that it is important to have knowledge of the stock your company is selling, it is important to be helpful, friendly and to engage with customers wherever possible.

Management in this particular store consists of a manager, assistant manager, trainee manager and supervisor as well as senior staff who are in a superior position. The management are accommodating, helpful and laid back. They demand high standards of work and respect and when these are adhered to it is mutually beneficial.

My co-workers in Woodies were my favourite aspect of this job. The vast majority of the staff were under thirty which led to a great rapport and sense of community. My co-workers would assist me in any way possible and were a great help when beginning the job.

- more...
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Minimum Wage